Does S7 hold an edge well?

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
You bet it does. I did a quick cutting test review of a 5" Tusker I put together. I did 410 slices in cardboard, 100 push cuts through 5/8" diameter manila rope and cross grain batoned twice through pine lumber. Was still shaving sharp when I finished. Edge stability was excellent.
Scott

Attachments

• 410slices.jpg
    410slices.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 100pushcuts.jpg
    100pushcuts.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 129
  • crossgrain.jpg
    crossgrain.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 193
Scott,

Is this tusker with the new heat treat your thinking
About ? ... The pics look great ! Cant wait to own one

Frank

Scott,

Is this tusker with the new heat treat your thinking
About ? ... The pics look great ! Cant wait to own one

Frank
Yes it is. I still think there was something fishy about that S5 that they didn't let on about. No big deal, the S7 is pretty tough stuff and I'm impressed with edge holding.
Scott

Excellent! That is very impressive, great edge retention and maybe the toughest blade steel out there. :D

Scott,

Yeah you maybe right about witholding info on there part
But since youve got a heat treatment for the S7 that you
Like ... Well Thats all that needs to be said !

How is the egde retention with the new HT compare to A2 and O1 ?

Frank

Scott,

Yeah you maybe right about witholding info on there part
But since youve got a heat treatment for the S7 that you
Like ... Well Thats all that needs to be said !

How is the egde retention with the new HT compare to A2 and O1 ?

Frank
So far from what I'm seeing, it's right on track with A2 and O1. According to my HT data, I'm tempered to about 58 rc. Nice thing about S7 is that it has 3.25% chromium compared to the .05% that O1 has. A2 has 5.25%. The chromium helps with resisting rust. S7 can still rust and patina, just not as quickly as O1. SS has 14% or higher.
Scott

Thanks for the edge retention comparison remark-I have often wondered to what steels S7 could be compared in this regard. That tusker is a beauty too. Keep up the good work!

So far from what I'm seeing, it's right on track with A2 and O1. According to my HT data, I'm tempered to about 58 rc. Nice thing about S7 is that it has 3.25% chromium compared to the .05% that O1 has. A2 has 5.25%. The chromium helps with resisting rust. S7 can still rust and patina, just not as quickly as O1. SS has 14% or higher.
Scott

Scott,

That sounds great ... Are you or anybody else that you know
Going to take a S7 tusker out in a hunting trip to see
How it does in the field ?

Frank

Yes it is. I still think there was something fishy about that S5 that they didn't let on about. No big deal, the S7 is pretty tough stuff and I'm impressed with edge holding.
Scott

I've got to ask, what's wrong with S5? I just ordered a Ka-Bar using this steel and though it wasn't an expensive purchase I have to ask, am I going to get a poor performing steel?

I've got to ask, what's wrong with S5? I just ordered a Ka-Bar using this steel and though it wasn't an expensive purchase I have to ask, am I going to get a poor performing steel?
It's probably SK5 which is different from S5. SK5 is, if I remember correctly similar to 1070. Cold Steel and SOG use it. It's pretty good steel.
I had HTing issues with the S5 I had. May have been something I did. Not sure. S5 is expensive. S7 is a air hardening steel. Easier to HT.

Frank, I do plan on using it in the field this fall.

Yes S5 is very pricey !!!... & hard to find as well.
And for some reason ive been seeing alot of
People using S7 lately !!! Which is great .

Frank

Last edited:
I've often wondered about S7. This makes me like it even more than before.
What's it like for sharpening? Does it compare to O-1 or more like D2?

From what scott is saying its on par with A2 and O1
Not to sure about D2 tho... Cant wait to see how S7
With scott's new ht handles in the field !

Frank

I've often wondered about S7. This makes me like it even more than before.
What's it like for sharpening? Does it compare to O-1 or more like D2?
Haven't need to sharpen by hand yet. The steel looks almost indentical to A2 out of quench. I'm guessing sharpening will not be a big chore. Very much like sharpening A2 or O1.
Scott

Haven't need to sharpen by hand yet. The steel looks almost indentical to A2 out of quench. I'm guessing sharpening will not be a big chore. Very much like sharpening A2 or O1.
Scott
Sounds fantastic.

Scott:

What is your take on comparison between S7 and S35VN steel for a Tusker?
Now doubt S7 is going to be tougher then S35VN. S7 is a impact/shock resistant steel. It's used for impact tools such as jackhammer bits, hammer heads, whatever tool requires impact resistance. As far as edge holding, I'm going to say S35VN will do better.
Scott

Thanks Scott.

Sounds like S7 for chopping and S35VN for slicing. But no doubt a Tusker in either steel will be great all around.

Now doubt S7 is going to be tougher then S35VN. S7 is a impact/shock resistant steel. It's used for impact tools such as jackhammer bits, hammer heads, whatever tool requires impact resistance. As far as edge holding, I'm going to say S35VN will do better.
Scott

Back