Does the Native Chief have lock issues like the Siren?

Most Spyderco backlock folders that I've tried have some slight up and down blade play if I push hard the blade tip on a hard surface, just like how the guy in the video did it. But none acts that dramatically as in the video.

None on my S30v (bought summer 2019), nor on my Rex45 sprint either. Both are solid and excellent.

No issues with my Rex45 but I've really not done anything but take it out of the box and playing with it a little.

The Native series has an improved back lock. I'm not sure what they did, but it doesn't seem to develop the vertical shifting/play that some Spydercos do.

I was never much for backlocks, but had both an FRN Delica and Endura for a number of years because as a Spydie fan and folding knife user/accumulator, well, one should, shouldn't one? I never found any issue with play on either of those and, as years past, I gradually came to appreciate that mechanism more and added 3 HAP40/ SUS410 Pakkawoods--Delica, Endura, Police--as well as a K390/G10 Police, none of those with any lock issues either.

I just picked up an LNIB REX45 Sprint Run Native Chief off the Exchange last week and, while it's not close to broken in yet, it has excellent opening action and locks up solid as a rock.

Edit: This thread definitely needs at least one pic.

fqwtgph.jpg

Last edited:
I was never much for backlocks, but had both an FRN Delica and Endura for a number of years because as a Spydie fan and folding knife user/accumulator, well, one should, shouldn't one? I never found any issue with play on either of those and, as years past, I gradually came to appreciate that mechanism more and added 3 HAP40/ SUS410 Pakkawoods--Delica, Endura, Police--as well as a K390/G10 Police, none of those with any lock issues either.

I just picked up an LNIB REX45 Sprint Run Native Chief off the Exchange last week and, while it's not close to broken in yet, it has excellent opening action and locks up solid as a rock.

Edit: This thread definitely needs at least one pic.

fqwtgph.jpg

‘how about two ;)

42C11AF7-1218-4D3B-9D2A-8234F565F1A5.jpeg

I've got 4 Natives (one Gen 1 FRN and three Gen 5s - G10, CF Fluted & Ti Fluted) and 2 Native Chiefs (G10 & Sprint CF S90V)

No lock problems w/any of them.

my rex 45 native chief had up and down blade play out of the box. its very minor but its there. not enough that I care...but it does have play.

Only the native 5 and not native chief?
Not sure. I could assume, since it seemed to be implied that that was going to be a "Native hallmark", but I haven't handled a Chief, and haven't stayed as up-to-date on that model.

Back