Does this look odd?

I have about a eight 21s and they don’t have a recurve grind. All came with relatively nice grinds. I would send that particular knife back to the dealer. It’s not up to snuff with what you should expect from CRK, imho. The recurve is clearly visible even without the light test.

MANY of the sebenzas that I have bought in recent years have had absolutely horrible edge grinds. Recurves, High on one side, low on another, grossly ground at the belly and thin elsewhere, etc. The standard has indeed fallen. This is the final finishing touch and they are extremely lacking. Maybe I am being picky, but for a knife costing $500+, I deserve to be. I expect this on a Walmart special, not from a company that is regarded by many as “the standard”. Obviously the standard has fallen like I stated above. It’s quite sickening. Some were returned to dealers as unacceptable. Others were sold clearly stating uneven edge grinds.
I think he right thing to do is send them back. That sends CRK the message that they gotta up their QC. It hurts their bottom line to get knives returned.

The again.....maybe they will start charging $600 for them and make them all perfect again.:eek: :D

I think he right thing to do is send them back. That sends CRK the message that they gotta up their QC. It hurts their bottom line to get knives returned.

The again.....maybe they will start charging $600 for them and make them all perfect again.:eek: :D

They are already charging $600 and up. All I buy are UG’s pretty much. I should send them all in for blade replacements...

They are already charging $600 and up. All I buy are UG’s pretty much. I should send them all in for blade replacements...
For sure. I was referring more to the cost of OPs small 21. I hope those aren’t $600! I haven’t checked prices in ages. Been pretty satisfied with my stable of users (and a couple princesses).

I'm going to try and get it replaced, I don't want have my lock bar messed up from the grooves. If it was just the recurve I might stick with it. Thanks for the advice and insights everyone!

MANY of the sebenzas that I have bought in recent years have had absolutely horrible edge grinds. Recurves, High on one side, low on another, grossly ground at the belly and thin elsewhere, etc. The standard has indeed fallen. This is the final finishing touch and they are extremely lacking. Maybe I am being picky, but for a knife costing $500+, I deserve to be. I expect this on a Walmart special, not from a company that is regarded by many as “the standard”. Obviously the standard has fallen like I stated above. It’s quite sickening. Some were returned to dealers as unacceptable. Others were sold clearly stating uneven edge grinds.

I really hate to have to agree with this, but it’s true. I’ve been buying CRK knives since 2010, and I used to be affiliated with one of the largest dealers in the southeast US. I’ve personally handled hundreds of sebenzas and many many Umnumzaans. One thing used to be a certainty, the secondary edge grind would be just about perfect. Maybe it wouldn’t be super sharp, but the grind itself would be great.

Now.....not so much. I’m seeing recurve as a common trend. Even more scary is that I’m seeing burnt edges that are visually discolored from overheating, especially at the tip.

Whoever is doing their sharpening now needs to slow down and pay more attention. I don’t want to buy a new 31 or umnumzaan that has a blade that is 1/8 inch shorter than it should be because you decided to practice on it. Or maybe it has a recurve because you weren’t paying attention. Or has a burnt edge because you sharpened too long at the tip.

All I can say is that years ago getting a new CRK that had a factory issue was rare. Especially an issue regarding the blade.

Nowadays it’s almost the rule. Since April I have bought 6 CRK knives, and I’ve kept 2. I’m not even that picky, it’s just that 4 of them had unacceptable flaws that I wouldn’t tolerate on a 200 dollar knife. Much less a 450+ knife.

It makes me sad to be honest. CRK used to be that brand that if you dropped the money, you WERE going to be happy no matter what. Ordering from a dealer was no issue because they were all pretty much perfect. In the year 2020 it almost feels like a gamble to order one.

That was the thing that stood out for me with the NIB 2015 lg 21 I got recently. It was perfect in every way. That used to be a given, now it seems, not so much.

Back