Dog Soldier 6 vs Alpha Dog 6

zmbhntr

̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿''̿ ̿
Gold Member
I'm probably not the only one holding their DS6 right now trying to compare it to how you think the AD6 will feel. I personally love my DS6, it's a fantastic knife around camp; I actually prefer it to my DS8 for most camp chores because it's so nimble with the balance being so nice. From holding my DS6 up to my computer screen, it looks almost identical to the overall blade shape of the AD6 with the same dimensions, perhaps they are from the same blank and then machined differently? Regardless, since the DS6 was not offered uncoated I'm really looking forward to a satin AD6.

That's a great photo, zmbhntr. It's really making me reconsider ordering one of these. I would end up getting it coated, similarly to my DS6 (although I'd probably go muddy). But the slightly higher grind makes me think this would be a better slicer, and a great hunting blade (even better than the DS6). IF I ever get my butt back in the woods, that is.

random question. if they seem so similar would a battle grade version of the Alpha Dog be a good idea?

I think it would've been a great idea. I love me some SR101 and would have picked it over INFI. Some bare SR101 would have been the cat's pajamas for me.

Agreed, 100%--though I'd be OK with it coated, to keep the steel protected under the Res-C (after I stripped the blade). In a knife that size, SR-101 makes more sense to me, and is less costly.

Ya, basically same. I'm betting AD6 will cut better since it's missing the fuller and has higher grind, and probably pointer tip which i like. Wish SYKCO would just go back to sr101. Probably would have been $170 instead of $260 coated AD. I only see the value in INFI on skinny knives/ axes where the steel needs to be extra strong in ordered to survive abuse. It would be cool if SYKCO started trying out some different steels like 3v and spectrumwear and such. At $260 for AD wish it were 3v or spectrumwear honestly.

Ya, basically same. I'm betting AD6 will cut better since it's missing the fuller and has higher grind, and probably pointer tip which i like. Wish SYKCO would just go back to sr101. Probably would have been $170 instead of $260 coated AD. I only see the value in INFI on skinny knives/ axes where the steel needs to be extra strong in ordered to survive abuse. It would be cool if SYKCO started trying out some different steels like 3v and spectrumwear and such. At $260 for AD wish it were 3v or spectrumwear honestly.
You make some good points.

Regarding 3v vs. INFI, or SR-101 for that matter.... I have to say that I've not been overly impressed with the 3v that I've actually used (Survive Knives). It seems like it doesn't hold its edge that much better than INFI, if at all. And when it came time to get that keen edge back, it seems more difficult and finicky about how you get it there. Admittedly, I only have 2 samples: one 3v, one "delta 3v." But not a whole lot of difference in edge behavior between the two. But using a ceramic rod or ceramic stone (like the Spyderco Doublestuff), INFI and SR-101 seems to come back to a keen, hair-popping edge quite easily, and keeps it reasonably long. The 3v I have a much harder time getting back to that keenness.

I used to think this INFI stuff just couldn't be as good as everyone touted it to be. I mean, I'm an eternal skeptic. But the more I've used INFI and SR-101, the more I've become a believer.

Aaaand... with that, I'm just about talking myself into dropping coin on the AD6.

You make some good points.

Regarding 3v vs. INFI, or SR-101 for that matter.... I have to say that I've not been overly impressed with the 3v that I've actually used (Survive Knives). It seems like it doesn't hold its edge that much better than INFI, if at all. And when it came time to get that keen edge back, it seems more difficult and finicky about how you get it there. Admittedly, I only have 2 samples: one 3v, one "delta 3v." But not a whole lot of difference in edge behavior between the two. But using a ceramic rod or ceramic stone (like the Spyderco Doublestuff), INFI and SR-101 seems to come back to a keen, hair-popping edge quite easily, and keeps it reasonably long. The 3v I have a much harder time getting back to that keenness.

I used to think this INFI stuff just couldn't be as good as everyone touted it to be. I mean, I'm an eternal skeptic. But the more I've used INFI and SR-101, the more I've become a believer.

Aaaand... with that, I'm just about talking myself into dropping coin on the AD6.

Have only used a survive! knife somebody loaned me to try out. Couldn't really say anything bad. Maybe you got one with poor heat treatment? IDK. Have had many custom knives in 3v and, cold steel, bark river, and was always impressed. Will agree 3v harder to sharpen than infi or sr101. I like 154cm and and 1095 in general. Had two TOPS knives in both those steels and did not even seem to take an edge let alone hold it. No more TOPS for me. I think it depends alot on the companies heat treatment. I think Kabars D2 sucks judging from 3 different knives Ive had from Kabar. Not sure what the deal is there as Every knife in D2 from Benchmade has been fantastic. D2 seems to be hit or miss from company to company.
In my experience, INFI doesn't hold an edge as long as SR101. Honestly think Kabars 1095cv holds edge lil longer or same as INFI. Tho not nearly as tough as INFI. SR101, I FACKING LOVE IT! The edge it takes whether going for toothy or stropped, polished, VERY good edge retention imho, tough, cheap, awesome. Favorite steels for a fixed under 8" are sr101 or spectrumwear. I think.

Honestly INFI is just not usually something i 'need'. Busse knives are build so damn tough in the 1st place I don't need INFI. If INFI and SR101 were at the same price I'm fairly convivced I'd take the SR101 just for the extra edge retention.

I like INFI. Holds edge just as good as most other steels, VERY easy to sharpen, tough as tough gets, ect. Just like SR101(3v/Spectrumwear) more for my purposes for a knife most of the time.

I WOULD REALLY LIKE IT IF THEY UP'D THE HRC OF INFI!!!! THEN, THEN IT WOULD BE INFI ONLY! FOR ME I BELIEVE. :thumbsup:

Sr-101 is fabulous. Infi is tougher and more stain-resistant but sr101 wins in edge retention and is still pretty damn tough. Both are great, the value is definately higher in sr101 if you don't need stainless. I think infi might sharpen a little easier but I don't have a years use of hard use in my infiweiler like I did in the sr101 RW for a better compariosn with personal use. Much of the above is what I've read with the exception of the stain resistance because sr101 is not stain resistant at all. I've only sharpened the infiweiler once, compared to several dozen on the RW.

Busse knows how to HT their steels, that's for sure. Better to have a solid HT than an iffy HT on a great steel. Even better with a solid HT on a good steel like sr101 and infi.

I've got to say that SR101 is a great steel (and a good value), but I prefer INFI because of the stain resistance and I prefer uncoated blades.

The difficulty of sharpening INFI vs. SR101 seems about the same to me. And steel toughness has been a mixed bag for me. My B8 LE seemed to chip more easily than I expected and not hold its edge quite as well as expected, but my new MMD in INFI holds up very well even with a very thin blade. Likewise with my other INFI blades have held up well (Bunker Buster, INFIdu, NFNO, MMD, and Flak Jack). I did experienced very minor chipping of my TRASH 1 and TRASH 2, but no problems with my Ratweiler and Rodent 7. None of the damage was worth being concerned about and I've not had a problem with the TRASH knives since (haven't test the B8 since).

On overall edge holding; My 3V knives may hold an edge a little better, but all of these knives are pretty damn high quality and all are superior to my less expensive 1095 knives. And I do like how easy it is to maintain INFI over the others (no stain). That said, I've not found 3V to be so difficult to sharpen that I couldn't do it in the field, and that is my criteria. You can sharpen just about anything with a diamond stone and ceramic.

BTW - I like ELMAX pretty well too so far, but I wouldn't abuse it like I would INFI, 3V or SR101.

I personally would like to see Busse make a knife with 3V using their own heat treat just for kicks.

When I want to show off a blade on a camping trip I take my Busse knives, they are so cool and tough.

As for the DS6 vs. AD6; I prefer looks of the AD6, otherwise I don't know what the performance differences would be. I'd have to try them out. I'm trying to find some $$$ for the AD6 right now cuz after the NFNO and NFBA, I just got the bill for both of my daughters fall college tuition. I'm starting to wish they weren't such good students.

Last edited:
That is a great comparison picture!

So does it look like it will fit in a kydex DS6 sheath? Now that would really be something wouldn’t it?!

wow ha. didn't mean to start an infi v 101 convo. I really love combat grade blades and they are the core of my collection. just figured that since we already had the ds6 this knife could be 101. That said, must trust the trough!! I've never been let down!

Back