Dog Soldier 6 vs Alpha Dog 6

Hmmmm.... maybe I should give it a couple more shots.
I was wiping clean and re-applying about every 30 minutes for about the first 4,maybe 6, applications. The another couple that I left for a couple hours (mainly because I forgot).

I dont know if you can get a feel of the depth of this one. I've never tried to measure it but I'd bet the etch on this one is more than .020 deep. You can really catch the edges of the lettering with a fingernail.
2018-01-29 09.41.18.jpg

Midnight Blue Dog Soldier and Satin Alpha Dog

ELBRYV6.jpg

Last edited:
I got mine from Radio Shack. Now that they’re so scarce (gone?), I’m not sure where you would. If you’re on the west coast, maybe Fry’s? I don’t know if they are Midwest or east coast, though.

Well, my etching is done. Noticed after the last one that some of the coating came off, so if I try to etch any more, it will blot out part of “SYKCO.” Right between the Y and K. I could see then, though, that it is etched enough all the lettering should remain visible after stripping.
I’m out of town now, though, so no stripping for a week. Plus, I got delivery notice from the PO as my plane taxied in after landing at my destination. My AD6 is available for pick-up. :mad:

Crossing my fingers for an AD8!! That would be killer!

Yeah, I’d jump on that. Especially since I missed the DS8 and the HOGB8.

Great pic! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

ETA: So, if you need to really cut on something, which one will you be reaching for most often?
I would think the AD6 will be a little slicier with its higher flat grind. DS6 would be better for batoning. These 2 will be going on my next camping trip, for the full test. I’m gonna slice some food in the kitchen soon. I think the Alpha might be the go to.

I would think the AD6 will be a little slicier with its higher flat grind. DS6 would be better for batoning. These 2 will be going on my next camping trip, for the full test. I’m gonna slice some food in the kitchen soon. I think the Alpha might be the go to.

Thanks for sharing pics and your comments sir! I just love what you’ve done with your DS6 too! Those two really look great together!

DS6 sanded to 1500 grit. View attachment 1150146 View attachment 1150147 View attachment 1150148
After I did the dremel treatment from my previous post, I tested both dogs on a pineapple. They both cut great, but the DS6 was left stained. The AD6 was clean, no stains. So I decided to try to reach a satin finish on the DS6. After a LOT of hand sanding. This is what I achieved. The edge was pretty dull from all the sanding. The final step was a new convex edge from the Work Sharp (Ken Onion). It’s shaving sharp again. This was a very satisfying project. I love this INFI stuff! Oh and the DS8, I finally scored... arrives tomorrow ;)

Back