dogs against bad guys in urban environment?

Man has relied on dogs for 14,000 to 20,000 years for these needs. They were the original burglar alarm system.

They still are the best.

I won't argue the fact that a big dog carries more threat, but the very best dog is the one that you are devoted to. Be it large or small they will raise the alarm. No lurker wants to be called attention to, so even a small breed that goes crazy is a very good deterrent.

One of the best dogs I ever had was a shephard mix from the pound who only had one eye.

Now I keep terriers. They are incredibly alert and tough, but they are small enough to allow on the furniture and beds. They are incredibly smart and mine are fearless.

I have a friend who has a shephard and a ridgback who loves his dogs as much as I love mine. A neighbor has a well behaved pit bull. It is how you raise them. BTW standard poodles are very smart, the SEALs use them for some missions. No don't clip them funny and paint their toenails! That is not even sane if you ask my opinion.

I'll go with 14,000 years of evolution. Dogs helped us to survive long before agriculture and they are just as important today. Just raise and train them right, and make them a part of the family.

I have a beautiful 6-yr old American Eskimo female that I am looking for a good home for.

I've had her since she was 8 weeks old :( , but I'm joining the Army. Anyway, if anyone wants a 21 pound dog that is friendly and affectionate to friends, but barks at strangers, I'm in the Atlanta area. Her name is Stardust...

Surely someone here will hook you up with someone to take her. Sorry that you have to give her up! :(

Pitbulls ARE viscious!!
LOOK!
Even while getting screwed by a poodle, they still manage to fight other dogs!
;)

By the way, that photo was taken by myself and me, while working in my town's gun store.
I was taking care of a customer at the time, when the preceeding incident occured. I said, "OH! HOLD ON!!", and grabbed my camera and started clicking away, while cackling hysterically.
The customer looked at me like I was nuts.

The best deterrant is the most visable and loudest. But remember too that there are consequenses. Not only the the would be robber (and his money hungry laywer) after an attempted break in. The effects on your family if the canine is not properly raised (turning on its owner)

My wife and I own a 115-pound <a href="http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/hovawart.htm">Hovawart</a>. He's menacing as hell when there's a knock on the door or when he hears something that ain't right. But he warms up to guests right away once he senses that they're ok by us. This is especially re-assuring to my sisters and friends who have little ones that they bring to visit us. This breed takes a lot of training but are known in Europe to walk through fire if that's what it takes to protect their masters. At 6 years old, he can be playful as a pup but packs a growl that - to a POS bad guy - sounds about as comforting as the pump on a .12 gauge shotgun. :D

Back