Dog's Head Utility-The First Thirty Days

This thread rulz. With a "Z". Love it. I also happen to be in the market for a new camping blade, and have narrowed the choice down to this knife and one other, so I'm loving the information in this thread.

This is one of the best threads I've had the pleasure of reading. Wonderful idea and execution Lost Viking!:thumbup: I currently have one of these blades homeward bound thanks to you:D

Oh, and a quick question to any folk who own a 1317 and a standard large USMC hard sheath. Will it fit alright? I ordered one along with my 1317.

To answer my own question for anyone interested, the hard sheath does fit the 1317 due to it having the same blade as the 1217, but the guard is shorter on the 1317 on both sides, thus it does not click into the sheath like the 1217 should.

I've been really liking my 1317 Dog's Head. I may just go into Cabelas this coming week and pick up a 1217 for my birthday.

Would someone be able to tell me if the primary grind on the 1317 is higher than that of the 1217?

Was the blade of the 1317 modified to be a better slicer due to its primary function as a utility blade, or has the blade of the 1217 also seen this change?

my understanding is it's supposed to be the same blade, just different stamp, guard, and pommel.

That was my understanding as well, but looking at pictures of the 1217 (I don't own one... yet), the grind seems to be a lot lower than the 1317.

For example, the grind on my 1317 starts at the far side of the "B" in Ka-Bar, whereas the grind of the 1217 starts at the "A" in "Ka". Roughly 1/4" difference.

IIRC, the grind was "recently" (as in more than a month and less than 2 years:D), moved higher to make it closer to the original specs. The 1317 would thereby be of the "higher" grind variety you see in 1317 pics.

The pics you see of a 1217 will vary depending on when the pic displayed was taken. On-line sellers are notoriously lazy about updating their pics. Their attitude seems to "eh, close enough".

I think Z is correct. They have been migrating back to the original style.
Personally, i like the higher grind better and will be adding a straight KA-BAR to my collection when I am sure I will get one with a higher grind.

I haven't done much camera work lately. But my Dog's Head continues to impress me. It does scare the surface units though.

This has been such a fun knife to put through its paces. It must have been almost a miracle knife back in the day.

LV,

I know this thread is 15 months old, but after it being recommended reading in another thread, I have spent all evening reading it and have a question. Did I miss what the secret squirrel stuff was for??? What is it used for?

I know this thread is 15 months old, but after it being recommended reading in another thread, I have spent all evening reading it and have a question. Did I miss what the secret squirrel stuff was for??? What is it used for?

Toilet paper.

I just finished reading this thread... It was brilliant. Loved it. It might be the best thread on blade forums. Thank you LostViking.

Eon Blue,

Thanks for the compliment!

It was a fun review to do. The KA-BAR is a very capable and versatile blade. More so than I imagined when I started out.
After using it for a few successive days, it just felt like an old friend. No drama, it just did what I needed done.

I always do research before I purchase knife...well anything actually, but mainly knives. I had my eye on the Dog's Head Utility knife for a while but was continually not pulling the trigger on purchasing the knife. I had seen a few reviews for it, but I have trouble taking people's word on specs alone. Reading your thirty-day quest, I made my decision, and I purchased the knife.

I just went on a massive hike to the top of Mt. Whitney located in California, and boy was I glad to have this knife. Although I am positive many knives could have handled the job, I had so much fun using the Dog's Head and it looks attractive on waist/in hand. I used it for everything from preparing food, to cutting branches and processing wood. I even spent a little time whittling. I used live in the mindset of protecting knives and using them for very small tasks which would keep them pristine. As I have collected more, I have learned "What good is a knife, if you don't use it?" Although there are some collectible exceptions to this, I have since started rotating my collection out as EDCs and using them for their primary purpose...to cut.

Thank you for this fantastic thread. I look forward to reading others from you!

You are more than welcome!

My apologies for not responding sooner. But I have been "Off Grid" for a bit, so to speak. Had the Dog's head with me, but no photos. It continues to impress. Other folks have seen it in action and have been impressed too.

Just a no frills capable tool.

Very glad that my review and experience led you to try one. And more importantly that your experience has been positive.

This thread inspired me to get one as well--I'm very pleased with it. Thanks Lost Viking.

Back