Double Stuff 2 - Adhesive Issue

Trying to see if others have encountered this issue and see if there are some DIY fixes to resolve the separation problem with the DS2...

I ordered my first DS2 through Amazon back in September; it took a good bit of time to be delivered and when it showed up it came apart as soon as I removed it from the packaging. I e-mailed Spyderco customer support right away and asked what could be done to replace the DS2 I received. They responded the next day letting me know I could either send it into them for replacement with a 2 week turn around or go through Amazon for a replacement. Spyderco recommended I go through Amazon because I would have to pay for shipping if I sent it in to Spyderco, where as Amazon would provide me with a return label. So I chose to go through Amazon, since I didn't want to add another $5-$8 to what is already a $50 pocket stone. A few weeks went by and I finally received my replacement from Amazon this past Sunday. As soon as I removed it from the packaging the same thing happened again; the ceramic half separated from the CBN half.. It was essentially being held together by the packaging. Quite annoyed I sent an e-mail off to Spyderco support and got pretty much the same response on Monday. This time they asked that I send it into them directly however made no offer to provide me with a return label. After almost 2 months of waiting and returning one DS2 I am still dealing with the same separation issue and no resolve from Spyderco other than spending more money to possibly get this fixed. SO with all that being said; has anyone else experienced the two stones separating on their DS2 and tried to use an alternative to glueing them together?

It is pretty clear from my little experience with trying to buy a DS2 that the adhesive Spyderco is using is not adequate for long term use or storage in varying temperatures like that of a delivery truck. I have a sharp maker, and all 3 bench stones (medium, fine and ultra fine), so I don't want this post to come across as me bashing Spyderco. They make excellent sharpening products, but I have been quite disappointed in the DS2 and the customer service trying to get this resolved. I really like the idea of the DS2 and would really like to have one in my truck or pack for touching up knives at work or in the field.

My first dbl-stf came apart too. My Uncle was happy to take it/them off my hands. Picked up a new one a couple of years ago. Still together so far.

Sorry for your problems with the DS. I'd carried one for years that did the same thing, but didn't mind because it had been glued a little out-o'-whack anyway. I embraced the the two's divorce, cleaned 'em up and carry them with with a piece of honing compound-loaded leather between them. It doubles the surface area available for use.

I haven't had the issue, that sucks perhaps use a two part Gflex 650 toughend epoxy. Much higher end glue.
Tape up the stones
Mix equal parts
Apply a light coat with a paint brush
Clamp together and wipe off any excess.
Cures in 24 hours.

Again "Gflex" nothing else

My DoubleStuff 1 is in two pieces, lol. That would annoy me to, sorry for the troubles. I got the same recommendation as you did, Gflex epoxy it back together.

I haven't had the issue, that sucks perhaps use a two part Gflex 650 toughend epoxy. Much higher end glue.
Tape up the stones
Mix equal parts
Apply a light coat with a paint brush
Clamp together and wipe off any excess.
Cures in 24 hours.

Again "Gflex" nothing else

Thanks BBB, that is exactly what I was looking for!

I received a reply from Spyderco customer service this morning but even if they send me a new one I expect it will separate again at some point.

I received another update from Spyderco customer service this evening; they are going to send me a return label and I will be sending it back in to see if I can get a replacement direct from them that does not separate. I will keep a note on the Gflex and if this third one separates I will be giving that a try.

Last edited:
Thanks BBB, that is exactly what I was looking for!

I received a reply from Spyderco customer service this morning but even if they send me a new one I expect it will separate again at some point.

I received another update from Spyderco customer service this evening; they are going to send me a return label and I will be sending it back in to see if I can get a replacement direct from them that does not separate. I will keep a note on the Gflex and if this third one separates I will be giving that a try.

Both of mine are several years old and still stay together. Probably a bad batch/glue issue.

Back