Doug Ritter Griptilian Scales Advice Request

I just received in the mail today, from a forum purchase, a Doug Ritter Griptilian. It was a little pricey, but I mostly like it. One thing I'm not crazy about is the very aggressive scales, which, frankly, also look a little cheap. I'm debating on performing a catch-and-release on the forum vs. spending yet more money on better scales. Anyone have any advice? And if you advise on changing the scales, please specify which scales you recommend. Thanks!

I'm positive the Ritter's scales are the same as the normal Griptilian.

I know a lot of people here don't like the grip's scales for feeling cheap or "plastic-y". From reading all the hate I actually expected to hate them myself when my mini showed up. Turns out I actually really like them, haha. I say give it a chance before you do a scale swap, but if you don't warm up to them there are a ton of options out there, though some can get expensive.

I'm positive the Ritter's scales are the same as the normal Griptilian.

I know a lot of people here don't like the grip's scales for feeling cheap or "plastic-y". From reading all the hate I actually expected to hate them myself when my mini showed up. Turns out I actually really like them, haha. I say give it a chance before you do a scale swap, but if you don't warm up to them there are a ton of options out there, though some can get expensive.
So it's just the blade that is different?

The scales do look cheap, but my far bigger problem with them is that the texturing and jimping is highly aggressive to the point that it's unpleasant in my hand; I feel like the scales are trying to bite me back in retaliation for my biting cardboard with the blade. But you get to a point where the additional cost of scales on top of the cost of the original knife makes it not worth it, where you might as well sell off the original one. I'm not saying these numbers are exact, but if you spend $170 - $190 on a full-sized Doug Ritter and then another $70 - $90 on scales, you've spent $240 - $280 all in, and there are lots of other great knives that are highly competitive at that price point.

Yes, the only part that is different from a regular Grip is the blade itself. The scales and all other parts are the same as a normal Grip. If you spent $170-190 on just a normal Ritter Grip than you overpaid. They sold brand new for $130-140 for years.

Yes, the only part that is different from a regular Grip is the blade itself. The scales and all other parts are the same as a normal Grip. If you spent $170-190 on just a normal Ritter Grip than you overpaid. They sold brand new for $130-140 for years.

The operative word is "sold." They are no longer being manufactured, so their price now is different from what it was when they were in production.

google G10 griptillian scales, you can get several aftermarket types, I'm not a fan of the aluminum AWT myself. any aftermarket scales will be heavier. but if it is just the texture that annoys you, use some fine sandpaper to lightly dull the points.

They've definitely climbed in price, but so does everything else once it's discontinued. At $130 my mini Ritter sporting M390 was one of the best deals I've gotten on a knife. I was able to snag mine before they sold out.

My mini Ritter's become my main carry(it's sitting in my right pocket right now) and I don't think I'd trade it for a $200-$250 knife. Hopefully you're able to enjoy your new blade because the Ritter's blade shape is just about perfect for every day carry.

WmJ7gf6.jpg

Just look at that sexy profile, haha.

google G10 griptillian scales, you can get several aftermarket types, I'm not a fan of the aluminum AWT myself. any aftermarket scales will be heavier. but if it is just the texture that annoys you, use some fine sandpaper to lightly dull the points.
I've certainly found stuff, but like I said, it puts the total price of the knife at a price point I'm not crazy about. I thought about your sandpaper idea--actually, I thought of that beforehand, but was considering using my Dremel--and what's stopping me is that it will be difficult to resell if I still don't like it, afterwards, but maybe I'll do it, anyway. The jimping on the butt end of the knife--on the top and bottom portions of the scales--I realized, is what's irritating me; it bites into my pinky and into the deep part of my palm. I might start Dremeling just those two hot spots.

If you are worried about resale Do not dremel first!!!!! Start with fine sandpaper bc you can probably reduce the bite without changing the appearance much.

If you are worried about resale Do not dremel first!!!!! Start with fine sandpaper bc you can probably reduce the bite without changing the appearance much.
I'll figure it out. Might close the thread, because I'm leaning to either upgrading the scales or selling the knife. Just have to decide if the total cost is worth it, and that's a personal decision each person can only make for himself or herself. I'm not crazy about putting this much effort into making a knife satisfactory; I think it should be good out of the box, so selling might be a reasonable choice. What's going on here is I'm trying to force myself to like this knife, since everyone swears by it, but this may be an irrational move. Sometimes things just aren't right, and you move on.

Another option would be to buy a g10 grip used on the exchange, swap the blades then sell the non Ritter to recoup costs

Wilkins Grips are worth every penny. Makes if a whole other knife. I have 2 Wilkins Ritter Grips.Looking to do a couple more.
Last one.
CRBcPor.jpg

Just a bit of input about the standard Griptilian/Mini Griptilian scales. They are very aggressive when new but GRIP is right there in the name. That said with use the grips smooth out into what are great utilitarian handles. If you want a more expensive feeling knife then Keyman, Igord and others here on BF's make killer G10, CF and other types of scales.
If you want a brute of a user (those scales are pretty indestructable and very stong) keep the scales as is. Otherwise understand the Ritter's have always been a very respected version of Griptilian it will serve you well.
I sold one for emergency cash and it hurt. Wish I still had it but I still have my well used Mini and full sized Ritters (S30V OG model) around. The mini has the nornal grips and I will never change them. The full sized has some honey comb black G10 from Bladescales.
Keep it. Just my 2

My personal opinion... If you aren't excited about the knife, new scales won't do much for you. Personally, I like the stock scales. However, I've been very happy with DoAT's custom scales (is scales keep the stock shape). You might check some of his work.

You might also see if someone is selling their grey G10 scales. I have 2 Grips with DoAT's scales in Micarta and kept the third with it's plastic scales for a different feel and reduced weight.

My personal opinion... If you aren't excited about the knife, new scales won't do much for you.
I have to disagree...when the scales are the reason one doesn't like a knife, changing them can make a huge difference. As an example - I just couldn't warm up to the PM2 despite liking a lot about it. Sold it. Bought another, and did it all again. I knew what I didn't like about it - the scales - so, when I tried for the third time, I sprung for aftermarket scales. They transformed the knife...now I have a handful of PM2s info different steels, all with aftermarket scales.

My personal opinion... If you aren't excited about the knife, new scales won't do much for you. Personally, I like the stock scales. However, I've been very happy with DoAT's custom scales (is scales keep the stock shape). You might check some of his work.

You might also see if someone is selling their grey G10 scales. I have 2 Grips with DoAT's scales in Micarta and kept the third with it's plastic scales for a different feel and reduced weight.
I would have to disagree as well. Before the custom scales I thought the Grip was an OK knife. I even filled the hollows in the original scales with epoxy to make them fill a little more solid. After setting up my first one with a set of Wilkins scales my opinion went from OK knife to near perfect EDC. Still have not found a knife I like any better. My primary EDCs right now and for the last several years have been the 3.5 XM-18 and Wilkins Ritter Grips.
I just bought a Grip with the BM G10 scales. I like it but the Wilkins scales feel better in hand and the lanyard hole is in a better spot.

Regrets? Yes. I've said this before. I bought and sold two M2 Ritters simply due to my dislike of the plastic scales. This was long before replacement scales were available. Had I the choice like we do now, the story would've been different. I now own a 551 with AWT olive T6 scales and it's one of my favorites. So sometimes a simple upgrade Can make a difference in the look and feel.

Back