Doug Ritter Griptilian Scales Advice Request

I went with Deathofallthings carbon fiber for my mini Ritter. It was the difference between a ho-hum knife with a sweet blade to one of my favorite pieces. Not inexpensive, but worth it for a knife that will last a lifetime.

The stock scales may feel cheesy, but you won’t break them. That said, it’s understandable to not want to invest more to make the knife “right” for you.

Should you choose to sell your Ritter, you shouldn’t have any problem getting your money back as they have become fairly sought after.

HKP1rem.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry guys, maybe I misspoke. I will rephrase. IMO, if you don't like the blade and/or the general layout of the handle, I don't think a change in scales will do much to change the overall opinion of the knife. If you like the blade and the overall shape of the handles, yes a change in scales could make a big difference in your assessment.

Personally, I won't spend $100 on custom scales if I don't like every other aspect of the knife, i.e. handle layout and blade shape/grind/metal. I've tried alterations on a few knives in the past, but ultimately didn't carry them if they were lacking in other areas besides the scales for my uses.

I just don't want the OP to have unrealistic expectations from just a scale swap. I too really like the Ritter Grip blade style, grind, shape, and steel, as well as the overall design of the Grip line. However, I could not tell if the OP was excited about those aspects of the knife.

Last edited:
Dont forget there is the new blue/gray g10 Grip in 20cv for about the same price OP paid for his Ritter.

OP here. You guys have given me a lot to think about. I do like the knife, but then again, I have not exactly put it through its paces, because the grip (and hence the Grip!) is uncomfortable. I'm an office worker with hands that are slightly small for a male, which means that they are not tough and leathery, and the sharpness of those scales on the palm and on the pinky is pretty uncomfortable for me. I do like the overall contour of the scales and the knife, though. I really just wanted something that didn't bite into my hands so much. I'm pretty picky and sensitive, when it comes to tactile things; I've been taking the clips off of my knives, because most clips dig uncomfortably into my palm, too. I never realized that my hands were smallish until I got into the world of knives; go figure.

I looked at Igor's scales and really like them. I'll have to look at the Wilkins scales. Actually, I'll have to find them. If anyone has a link to them, that would be appreciated. I did find mention of DoAT scales, but I don't know what that acronym stands for, and I couldn't figure it out through a Google search. (Anyone have a link to those scales?) You guys have convinced me to hold on to the Grip. Now the hard part is obsessing over which scales to buy.

I thought the Ritter scales were of different composition than the standard Grips. Valox for standard vs glass filled Noryl GTX for the Ritter .

I agree that a new/different set of scales can completely transform the knife.

I highly recommend DOAT (DeathOfAllThings) as well as Keyman for a set of customs.Have had experience w/ both.. Great product(s), prices and customer service.

Last edited:
I went with Deathofallthings carbon fiber for my mini Ritter. It was the difference between a ho-hum knife with a sweet blade to one of my favorite pieces. Not inexpensive, but worth it for a knife that will last a lifetime.

The stock scales may feel cheesy, but you won’t break them. That said, it’s understandable to not want to invest more to make the knife “right” for you.

Should you choose to sell your Ritter, you shouldn’t have any problem getting your money back as they have become fairly sought after.

HKP1rem.jpg

That's a beauty

I thought the Ritter scales were of different composition than the standard Grips. Valox for standard vs glass filled Noryl GTX for the Ritter .

I agree that a new/different set of scales can completely transform the knife.

I highly recommend DOAT (DeathOfAllThings) as well as Keyman for a set of customs.Have had experience w/ both.. Great product(s), prices and customer service.
If they are different I can't tell the difference.

Back