Doug Ritter Hogue - Is the hype true..?

It’s nice, but I haven’t been able to warm up to mine either. The large one broke both springs in short order so i sold it. Wasn’t able to be confident in it after that

It's not hype but simply a great knife.

The only negative thing that I can say about it is the pocket clip.It's simply is too thick and creates a high spot that's makes holding the knife not comfortable. I've replaced mine with a bm split arrow clip.

I have a recent habit of recessing knife handle mount surfaces for deep carry clips. I had to try it with the Ritter.

The deep clip now sits about the same height or lower than a standard Benchmade clip. :thumbsup:

gV30Auo.jpg

I have a recent habit of recessing knife handle mount surfaces for deep carry clips. I had to try it with the Ritter.

The deep clip now sits about the same height or lower than a standard Benchmade clip. :thumbsup:

gV30Auo.jpg
Wow that looks great. How did you do the recessing?

It's not hype but simply a great knife.

The only negative thing that I can say about it is the pocket clip.It's simply is too thick and creates a high spot that's makes holding the knife not comfortable. I've replaced mine with a bm split arrow clip.
The clip is the weak spot. Luckily it has the same pattern as standard Benchmade clips so finding some aftermarket clips are easy or you can just pull off an old BM clip if you have one lying around.

Its a good knife but I don't know if its great. I like mine and carry it every couple of weeks. I got my son a mini with engraving for a special occasion.

Two small things I think could be improved are. different texture pattern and more rounded or chamfered shoulders on the G10. Bar lock is good, good steel, action was smooth out of the box, blip is deep cary and done right.

Functionally its a great knife that will equal or beat (IMO) the Freek. That being said, mine has left me a little cold and I have not quite been able to warm up to it.
isGMbfX.jpg
Is it just me ......
Looks so much like a BM grip....
I'm sure a much higher quality though.

I got one to see what all the hubbub was about. Felt good, axis lock wasn’t the best. My biggest problem was significant blade play even when tightening the pivot. Couldn’t get the blade play to go away even when pivot was overnighted and the blade wouldn’t even drop back to the closed position when engaging the axis lock. Had to move her along. Felt great in the hand though and was extremely sharp.

Is it just me ......
Well Doug Ritter did design the old Ritter Griptillians for a long while until his relationship to benchmade ended. Then he started designing the RSK for Hogue which is very close to the same design.

Is it just me ......

Well Doug Ritter did design the old Ritter Griptillians for a long while until his relationship to benchmade ended. Then he started designing the RSK for Hogue which is very close to the same design.

Yes, and the Freek which Benchmade released just as they ended the relationship has a blade design that always struck me as eerily similar to the Ritter designed blade.

I got one to see what all the hubbub was about. Felt good, axis lock wasn’t the best. My biggest problem was significant blade play even when tightening the pivot. Couldn’t get the blade play to go away even when pivot was overnighted and the blade wouldn’t even drop back to the closed position when engaging the axis lock. Had to move her along. Felt great in the hand though and was extremely sharp.
This is the first time I’ve heard this reported on any able lock knife. Mine is rock solid after a good amount of use. My M4 bugout and mini Adamas have little use and already have play.

Reactions: DMG
This is the first time I’ve heard this reported on any able lock knife. Mine is rock solid after a good amount of use. My M4 bugout and mini Adamas have little use and already have play.
Yeah, I was baffled honestly. I wouldn’t put it past myself that I was missing something but I repeatedly checked it over and over again with the same result. Just my experience though, doesn’t sound like the norm.

Only the blade. The handle is still the Mel Pardue design. Doug got permission from Mel to get the RSK produced by Hogue though, even though it's not an exact 1 to 1 copy.

I still enjoy the Hogue, it's a really good knife. But it's no better or worse than a comparable BM Grip. In fact, I have 3 Grips (one 20cv sheepsfoot, and 2 custom sheepsfoots). I tend to carry the Benchmades more often.

If they put the Hogue out with the blue G-mascus like they have with the mini though, I may have to pick another up... Especially if they do a black blade. I'm just a sucker for blue/black color schemes... Lol

YouTube consensus?
Is that even a thing?
Yes, it's a great knife - I have the "regular" and the mini; and I like both enough to pocket/use them periodically. (In my time on this forum, there have only been 3 "modern folders" that basically owned my rfp for extended periods - the Hogue Ritter might not have managed that trick; but I think highly enough of it to recommend it frequently)
Without trying to get off the subject, what are your “three”?

I ve been thinking about the Hogue Ritter, but since I already own the BM Ritter and a back up in m390, I m having a hard time justifying the purchase.

I have been around for a while and was a monster Benchmade AXIS fan from the early days, like back when the 710 was new...

So I feel I know a little about the AXIS/ABLE and similar pattern lock mechanisms. Being a lefty, they are just about perfect for my use.

I also use my knives heavily for my job and in my personal life, hobbies, etc.

So anyway, I have found the Hogue knives with the ABLE lock far superior to anything I have seen from Benchmade. Granted, I haven't bought or handled a Benchmade in several years, but from the dozens and dozens I owned and handled over the years, no comparison. Both of my Hogue Ritter knives (large and small) lock up bank vault tight. Zero side to side blade play or lock rock. The large does engage a bit later than I prefer, but it seems the parts are hardened enough not to matter. The small locks up perfectly where I'd like to see this style lock up. But even saying the large locks up "later than I prefer", still doesn't detract from how good it is. It's a non-issue and I only mention it because I can notice a slight different in engagement. However, it does not affect lockup at all.

Perfectly centered blades, superb grinds and razor sharp. The G10 is done well and really, I can't find anything I don't like about them. Both very thin behind the edge and slice really well while still maintaining enough edge support for me not to worry with using them hard.

I highly recommend them and the other models Hogue makes using this lock. I have a Deka I like just as much, if not a little more.

I really hope Hogue is paying attention and continues to release more varieties using this lock. I will buy them all.

I have been around for a while and was a monster Benchmade AXIS fan from the early days, like back when the 710 was new...

So I feel I know a little about the AXIS/ABLE and similar pattern lock mechanisms. Being a lefty, they are just about perfect for my use.

I also use my knives heavily for my job and in my personal life, hobbies, etc.

So anyway, I have found the Hogue knives with the ABLE lock far superior to anything I have seen from Benchmade. Granted, I haven't bought or handled a Benchmade in several years, but from the dozens and dozens I owned and handled over the years, no comparison. Both of my Hogue Ritter knives (large and small) lock up bank vault tight. Zero side to side blade play or lock rock. The large does engage a bit later than I prefer, but it seems the parts are hardened enough not to matter. The small locks up perfectly where I'd like to see this style lock up. But even saying the large locks up "later than I prefer", still doesn't detract from how good it is. It's a non-issue and I only mention it because I can notice a slight different in engagement. However, it does not affect lockup at all.

Perfectly centered blades, superb grinds and razor sharp. The G10 is done well and really, I can't find anything I don't like about them. Both very thin behind the edge and slice really well while still maintaining enough edge support for me not to worry with using them hard.

I highly recommend them and the other models Hogue makes using this lock. I have a Deka I like just as much, if not a little more.

I really hope Hogue is paying attention and continues to release more varieties using this lock. I will buy them all.
Same here -

I had the McHenry and Williams model 710 when it first came out (old logo that still said "Bali-Song") and I think Hogue got it righter.

Thanks for making me feel less old lol

I also would pickup another full sized Ritter,if it came out with blue G-mascus.

I believe they will. Took them a while, but they released the purple g-mascus in the full size a good time after the mini released.

Back