Down Under Knives Outback Bowie

Ok, I really, really didn't need another big ole Bowie knife. But I collect them and have wanted a copy of the iconic Crocodile Dundee bowie for years. And this beauty from Down Under Knives is the closest I have seen.
Outback001.jpg

Outback002.jpg

The 11" long 1/4" thick blade is made of 440C stainless steel with differential tempering of some kind. According to Down Under, it is hardened to 58-59 RC at the edge and 45-46 RC at the spine, to provide impact resistance and toughness when chopping. The heavy pommel and finger guard are solid brass with a bead blast finish. Handle is leather washers, ebony, and brass spacers. Overall length is 16" and the big knife weighs a hefty 28 oz. Fit and finish are pretty good. The blade has a hollow saber grind and sharpened swedge. The swedge is dull near the point, but generally the grinds look pretty good. I found one small bemish on the blade near the spine.
Outback003.jpg

Outback004.jpg

The knife came with a heavy leather sheath textured to look like crocodile hide. The sheath contains a sharpening steel with a leather lanyard.
Outback006.jpg

Outback007.jpg

Next up, I take the Outback out back for a little chopping.

Last edited:
The big bowie is blade heavy, balancing where the grind begins. At over 28 oz, this knife doesn't work well as a machete. But it is a formidable chopper.
Outback008.jpg

Outback011.jpg

Outback012.jpg

The big bowie chopped through this hard dead wood with ease. I could stand for the handle to be a bit longer to avoid hitting the finger guard, but I have big hands. It chopped as well or better than many of my other big choppers. The knife came nice and sharp. For all around use, I prefer the lighter ESEE Junglas or the Busse Bushwacker Mistress. But I didn't really buy this knife to use. I have it displayed on a bowie stand on my bookcase.

Outback013.jpg

Outback015.jpg

Outback016.jpg

Finally, I have the knife I have searched for. Now this is a knife!:D

I have been curious myself about this knife. Thanks for the pictures and review

much thanks for the thoughts and pictures, it sure looks good :D
I've been wondering about this knife about a few weeks ago...

not a fan of bowies in general but that looks like a quality product. it certainly looks well made & i do love choppers.
dennis

That's a Friggin' Savage blade my friend,

...I see the appeal.
:thumbup: :cool: :thumbup:

Big Mike

That's a Friggin' Savage blade my friend,

...I see the appeal.
:thumbup: :cool: :thumbup:

Big Mike

Thanks, Big Mike. You know I have plenty of fine choppers and bowies. I'll probably never find out just how tough this knife really is, but it seems to be well made and not just a wall hanger. It sure looks good on my shelf. :D

Hi Horn Dog -

Thanks for posting the pictures and your thoughts on that one.

I am impressed that you got it so quickly since it was on back order.

I just might have to find one of those, you know I was considering it but did not know anyone that I trusted that had held one to give me their opinion.

Thanks again, and please feel free to add any other thoughts as you own the knife.

best regards -

mqqn

Hi Horn Dog -

Thanks for posting the pictures and your thoughts on that one.

I am impressed that you got it so quickly since it was on back order.

I just might have to find one of those, you know I was considering it but did not know anyone that I trusted that had held one to give me their opinion.

Thanks again, and please feel free to add any other thoughts as you own the knife.

best regards -

mqqn

I was surprised to get it this fast, too. It does seem to be of high quality, certainly much better made than the Bear Grylls Gerber I recently reviewed. But this is not an inexpensive knife, either.

Thanks for the review
Some more good shots of it on their site, looks good.

(easily found via google)

Last edited:
Hi Hammer -

You should edit your post to remove that link - that company is banned here due to deceptive practices and spamming.

Just FYI - but thanks for the thought.

best regards -

mqqn

There's a youtube video showing the knife chopping and being somewhat abused, heavy prying, lots of weight (167 lbs supposedly) of a guy stepping on the tang, with no apparent problems etc...

Here's a link to the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgLOQoVBOqA

I suppose for a bit more than $200 it might be worth it... And it is available from reputable retailers online.

I am disappointed that Down Under Knives chose not to abide by the rules of this forum. It does appear that they are sincere in trying to make a good bowie. I know that many knife collectors have been looking for a bowie like the one in the Crocodile Dundee movies for a long time. It appears to be good knife. I got mine from a reputable internet company. I am quite pleased with it.

I am disappointed that Down Under Knives chose not to abide by the rules of this forum. It does appear that they are sincere in trying to make a good bowie. I know that many knife collectors have been looking for a bowie like the one in the Crocodile Dundee movies for a long time. It appears to be good knife. I got mine from a reputable internet company. I am quite pleased with it.

Hi Horn Dog -

Yes - that is perplexing to me.

I suppose if the knife is quality on it's own, it will eventually be known through posts like your own.

The knife is surely a big honkin' bowie!

I have seen the video of the guy chopping rope and saplings etc, and the tip-bending.

Thanks for taking time to post your review.

What kind of display do you have your knife on (you had mentioned that it was on a bowie display...)

best regards -

mqqn

Thanks for that review. It's always nice to know that even though it's a display knife, it would go the distance if the need arose.

I'm a sceptic of the whole claim of differing hardness for the spine and edge. I'd love to see what a lab would say about the steel, and it's structure. In addition it looks like an inclusion in the steel.

I'm a sceptic of the whole claim of differing hardness for the spine and edge. I'd love to see what a lab would say about the steel, and it's structure. In addition it looks like an inclusion in the steel.

While I lack your X-Ray vision powers, I have used the blade hard enough to know that it holds a good edge and can take some pounding. The knife is tight and solid. It isn't a Busse Battle Mistress, but it does seem to be a lot more than just a wall hanger. At least the pommel didn't go flying off when I used it, like the Bear Grylls Ultimate knife did. I have always liked 440C. I bought the knife for display, so I am not likely to ever know if it really is differentially tempered. I have other, less attractive knives for bush whacking, so I wouldn't have cared if the blade was 420J2. It would have surely been cheaper. Maybe someone else will buy one and take it to the lab.

What a beast of a bowie HD. :cool: Are you going to carry it like Mick did. :D Good review congrats and thanks for the pics looks to be a pretty well made bowie. :thumbup:

What a beast of a bowie HD. :cool: Are you going to carry it like Mick did. :D Good review congrats and thanks for the pics looks to be a pretty well made bowie. :thumbup:

I am not going to carry it at all. I scare the sheeple bad enough with some of the knives I carry now! This is a display knife for me.

LEUsers003.jpg

This Dog Father LE carries well. It is light, strong and sharp.

LEUsers008.jpg

I don't want to crap on your thread in any way, if you're happy with the knife that's great but I felt I needed to add my two cents worth.

Just in case anyone is in any doubt these knives have absolutely no connection whatsoever with anything or anyone in Australia, despite the company's attempts to suggest this by the names. Their website is actually registered in Norway. The knives are made, as they put it, in "Asia". This is probably code for China and there is not necessarily anything wrong with that but, as I say, nothing to do with Oz.

I personally would never buy anything from them however, if they have what you're looking for, more power to you.

Back