Drain hole

am i the only one who makes a drain hole that is a deformation of BOTH sides of the sheath, where they meet instead of drilling a hole through both sides of the sheath near the tip?

everything i'm seeing seems to suggest that drilling a drain hole is the norm, now, is it? i still mold the drain hole in where it comes straight out the absolute bottom.

what's the count like? how many drill? how many mold?

I've been cutting out a full welt, then notching out the channel that forms a drain hole.

F1build013.jpg

cool. i'm actually working with kydex. never done any leather work, i really admire those of you who do. anyway, yea, my drain hole is very similar to yours. more and more, though, i'm seeing 'em drilled throush horizontally. it makes sense and i can't see a problem with it, but i just can't warm up to the look of it.

I drill on the off side normally, but have molded or drilled through several by request. Okuden, Steelnut, Mashed Cat, and a few others mold as standard, not to mention production sheaths like ESEE.

I'm not a Kydex guy, but the ones I've seen molded look much better to me.
Besides, if the drain hole isn't at the very tippy tippy bottom, how is everything gonna drain out?

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The molded drain will be bigger and obviously at a more optimal placement. It also has a higher probability of introducing particulates into the sheath and becoming clogged in a fall. The drilled drain is gonna be smaller and not at the best place for draining but it'll be less prone to the problems of a molded drain. It's give and take.

In the end, when your knife is sheathed, anything thicker than water (and water itself sometimes) is gonna be held by friction, and your drain hole is gonna be useless regardless of it's position and size (Of course in a non-molded leather sheath this may not apply). If you're cleaning the sheath, then it might be useful if you've got something lodged, which might have gotten in there through the drain hole anyway. I have people ask for both ways specifically, so I comply. If not specified, I drill, as I get more requests for drilling and assume it's more desirable. My personal sheaths usually don't get a drain at all.

I punch a hole offside then put a eyelet in the hole to line it.

You've piqued my curiosity, but I can't picture it. Got a pic?

You've piqued my curiosity, but I can't picture it. Got a pic?

you are not alone in your desire to see this :)

appreciate the summary of pros and cons, also. i didn't realize some of the sheaths i was viewing had only been drilled on one side, i guess i assumed it was str8 through. the off side makes alot of sense, but i still just can't get used to ANY of the blade being visible while the knife is sheathed. i might end up trying it, though, seems easier than what i do - i have a small wooden dowl that is slotted on one end, that end slides over the tip of the knife prior to molding and extends through the bottom of the sheath.

In Kydex, how about drilling about an 1/8 inch hole at the very bottom, instead of molding a bigger hole in the same place? That would work I'd think.

What I mean is to drill it straight up, like the molded in holes are... OR mold in a very small hole... like use a 1/16 or 1/8 brass rod?

I have always drilled, as traditionally that was the method.

But, a molded-in drain hole is interesting too.

I have been thinking of trying it. I will probably do so on my knives first, until I figure out what I think about.

Kiah makes some very good point.

Marion

I have been making knife sheaths for over sixty five years and have yet to see the need for a drain hole. Actually a blade will rust quicker in a damp environment then it will when immersed in water. If a drain hole is desired, the easiest way to create one is to leave a piece out of the welt at the end of a sheath that is sewn on both spine and edge sides. If it is a pouch type sheath, do not have the welt go all the way to the spine of the sheath. The hole will not detract from the sheath appearance. ---Sandy---

Sandy, a drain hole is important...you never know where or when you'll spill a beer...trust me on this.....of course, you've probably spilled more beer than I DRUNK !!

In Kydex, how about drilling about an 1/8 inch hole at the very bottom, instead of molding a bigger hole in the same place? That would work I'd think.

What I mean is to drill it straight up, like the molded in holes are... OR mold in a very small hole... like use a 1/16 or 1/8 brass rod?
:thumbup:

Saw a tutorial in which the maker was using a little tube molded into the tip of the kydex sheath as a drain hole. I didn't like the look of that extra bump. I especially like a folded over sheath with the knife profile revealed & (just my preference) but that extra bit of profile bugs me. So, I like the above idea of a straight up drilled hole - clean & effective.

no holes drilled here.. i fold the kydex around a ceramic rod to create what I call a "drain fold"!!

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The molded drain will be bigger and obviously at a more optimal placement. It also has a higher probability of introducing particulates into the sheath and becoming clogged in a fall. The drilled drain is gonna be smaller and not at the best place for draining but it'll be less prone to the problems of a molded drain. It's give and take.

In the end, when your knife is sheathed, anything thicker than water (and water itself sometimes) is gonna be held by friction, and your drain hole is gonna be useless regardless of it's position and size (Of course in a non-molded leather sheath this may not apply). If you're cleaning the sheath, then it might be useful if you've got something lodged, which might have gotten in there through the drain hole anyway. I have people ask for both ways specifically, so I comply. If not specified, I drill, as I get more requests for drilling and assume it's more desirable. My personal sheaths usually don't get a drain at all.
Thank you for that thorough analysis. I agree with everything you said. I ultimately settled on no drain either. Happy that I came to the same conclusions as a professional.:cool::D:thumbsup:

I recently started experimenting with Kydex lined leather. I got inspired by a book I was reading on Harry Morseth knives.
I leave a drain hole at the bottom of the Kydex by placing a small piece of dowel at the bottom when I hot mold the material.
The Kydex insert protects the blade from the leather's acids and hold it nicely, so you get that "Click" of the Kydex with the look of vintage leather and lacing.
I'll post pictures after I finish my next knife.

Back