Dream Shop - Old Shop Demolition finished. Demo photos added.

When I saw that email it was the most exciting thing I had seen since my girlfriend at age 16 took off her blouse.

:D bahahahaha

Funny the things that start to trip our triggers as we get older. I can't say that open blouses have moved down on my list, but several things have certainly moved up. (no pun intended.)

For instance, I got way too excited to see that the door and window casing I wanted to trim my basement in had gone on sale recently...

Latest status - The revised plans with the floor raised 18" have been submitted. We are now waiting with bated breath breath for a quick ( and positive) response.

The 14 blueberry bushes are here and I will start regrading the stream bank to plant them ASAP.

As I draw and re-draw the floorplan for equipment placement and such, I realize that if I could have afforded it a 30X60 shop would not be oversize :D
I'll get it all in, but some creative idea will be involved.

Stacy, you have developed 2 foot-itis!

As I draw and re-draw the floorplan for equipment placement and such, I realize that if I could have afforded it a 30X60 shop would not be oversize :D
I'll get it all in, but some creative idea will be involved.

You can say that again.
I built my shop 30 x 50, but two stories high.
Nevertheless I surprised even myself at how quickly I had it filled up with equipment and "stuff".
The only one not surprised was my wife.

Permts all secured. Miss Utility signed off for digging. Crew arrives tomorrow morning to dig the footings. If all goes well, they will pour the concrete footings Friday. Block for fundation is ordered for Monday delivey.

Just shy of one year to get this started.

Good luck.
I have a nice shop in a very nice neighborhood in a very nice little town.
But I want to move to the country where I can shoot guns and build my dream shop. I hope to do this next year.
I figure if I'm lucky, I have about 10 more years left in me, and if I can, I'm going to also build the shop from hell!

Permts all secured. Miss Utility signed off for digging. Crew arrives tomorrow morning to dig the footings. If all goes well, they will pour the concrete footings Friday. Block for fundation is ordered for Monday delivey.

Just shy of one year to get this started.

Congrats Stacy!!!!!!

My wife called about 9AM ( I go in to the jewelry store at 7AM this time of year) and told nme ter was a big truck with an excavator on a trailer backing into the lot. She sounded as excited more excited than I am ( if such a thing is possible).

Cory,
I plan on setting up my time lapse camera and having it shoot an image every five minutes, with it filming between 6AM and 6PM. That should make a two minute video that shows the shop going up in fast speed.

Footings poured.

I'll take some photos tomorrow morning when it is light.

It was sweet how Judy called me three times today. First to tell me that the work crew was unloading lumber, then a call later to tell me a concrete truck was backing up the lot, and a last call to say the guys were smoothing out the concrete.

Glad to hear it Stacy!

It must be that time of year. I just talked to my buddy who was having difficulties and he said that he's got his permits, and hopefully will be able to start moving some tools by the beginning of the year.

Footings are hard, block just delivered, masons on the way.View attachment 1245123

Just cool! They built a new hospital next to our ranch. They kept re surveying their 20 acres that was donated to them by the neighboring ranch. Each time they'd resurvey it they'd tell us we needed to move the fence line over and we had to pay for materials and supply the labor. We lost 100 feet here, 80 the next time and 40 the final time. When they said we needed to move it the third time we went over picked up the project manager by the neck and shook him just a little. Actually we'd been to a public meeting on the progress of the hospital and had noted in the handout that they had budgeted $35,000 for fencing (they are surrounded on three sides by cattle ranches). When we pointed this out to him he agreed they would take care of the fencing. He was fired shortly thereafter (makes a guy wonder if some of that $35,000 was missing hmmm?). The new guy was much easier to get along with. The hospital has been open a little over a year now and they have been good neighbors. The president of the hospital commandeered a different office than was his originally. He likes to look out the large windows and watch our cattle grazing.

First time I see building like this , no steel bar reinforcement at least on corners ? Sorry for my ignorance .....

The footings have rebar in them. That fellow is putting up the foundation walls. The foundation is attached to 12' deep by 18" wide footings. The footings are dug 18" below the surface grade to put the bottom well below the frost line.

Tomorrow they will come and put the J-bolts in the foundation walls. These are 36" long threaded rod with a 90° angle on the end. They are spaced every 48" around the foundation. They go all the way down the block to the footings, and then the block is filled with concrete from the footings to the top. The sill plate ( bottom of the walls) is bolted to the foundation with the J-bolts. This type construction physically attached the building to the slab and foundation. It will survive almost anything without moving off the foundation. In many photos of major hurricane damage you see the sill plates and J-bolts are still firmly attached … even after the rest of the house blew away.

The 6" thick slab will be poured level with the top of the foundation once the center is filled with construction sand. This will put the floor 18" to 20" above the grade, which will make the building flood proof. They put a lot of rebar reinforcement all through the slab ( see sample image below). Where the two main beam support posts will sit, the slab has a 24"X24"X24" base of reinforced concrete under the slab.

rebar-layout.jpg

:cool: I share your excitement. I completely get the thrill - a new grail knife X 1 million :thumbsup: :) (hopefully NOT x 1 million $$s :()

Cheers, Ray

Back