drill press table load limit

Hi guys, I just got my first drill press, a 90's floor height craftsman 15" 1hp. I'm curious how strong the tilting table is. I've been looking and googling, but I can't find anywhere that mentions a load rating or spec.

Obviously the table itself is probably pretty hefty, then you have whatever you are working on, and of course, the drill press itself will exert quite a lot of load on it when you are drilling, especially if you aren't careful.

I'd like to know at what point I'm risking breaking the table or the casting that clamps to the post. I'm also thinking of putting a pretty hefty vise on it occasionally (95lbs), or a small 2 axis milling table for precision positioning.

I appreciate your help.

I tend to put a couple of 4x4s standing vertically under the table if I have any concern. Mostly for accuracy. So the table isn't flexing up and down. To adjust the hight you might want to saw 'em to length for the project and or shim with 2x4s etc.

That's one heck of a vise. I wouldn't try to do much milling on a drill press. There is too much play and flexure in the quill and bearings. Chatter is likely. Maybe for plastic or wood maybe for aluminum. For steel forget it. :)

PS : the main vertical column has a lot to do with how ridged the drill press is over all.
That was one thing I obsessed over when I bought my floor model Delta. Had the largest diameter column of the ones I could afford :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies. That's a good idea about supporting the table for heavy pieces.

I'm not going to try milling on the drill press, I was just spitballing the idea of using a small milling table to position pieces under the drill that needed holes in precise locations related to each other.

It does seem odd to me that it's not a listed spec, even on user manuals.

2 axis milling table for precision positioning.
oop sorry. I got it now.
I can't find anywhere that mentions a load rating or spec.
I dug out the manual for mine.
No mention of load limit for the table.
Got to go with common sense I suppose.
You put it up on the table and you see it visibly flex (probably the column) then she's over loaded. I'm thinking two hundred pounds.
MUCH LESS IF IT IS SOME HOW CONCENTRATED OFF CENTER OR ON THE PERIMETER OF THE TABLE.

Yeah, I wonder how much cast iron flexes before it fails though. I'll try to keep a close eye on it, when I have heavy pieces.

I can't find it, but I remember seeing a video of a guy drilling into something on a bathroom scale on the press table, the pressure that the bit applied was surprisingly strong. I might do some testing of my own.

Simple design factors. A drill press goes up and down so is built to handle vertical forces on bearings etc.
A milling machine has to handle vertical and horizontal forces .
So a milling machine handles both jobs but a drill press only one job !

Back