Drop Forged Boot Knife

So it's been awhile since I've used a Cold Steel knife and generally stick with Busse and RMJ.

I'm a fan of daggers, but I'm pretty fussy when it comes to the over all look and haven't seen too many that really grabs my attention......until I saw this.........and in 52100?!?!

I had to jump on it! Didn't like the idea of the weird gold, bronze, whatever you call it coating color, but thought with this look, steel and price, I can deal with it.

Well I received it today and it's a dark grey color......very cool. Thought I would post it up. I'm going to beat this one up and see how well it holds up. If it does, I'm buying several more for sure.

Anyone else have any hard use stories with the Drop Forged line up, feel free to share.

empty.png

iaS1DQ.jpg

empty.png

20181109_183209.jpg
Snakebreaker
LINK
DIRECT
FORUM
ALT
HTML

That's the same color as the Drop Forged Hunter, the only one in the series that was available in both black with a Secure Ex sheath and silver with a leather sheath. Looks much better in the darker color to me, even the lettering is white like on the Hunter in black (dark grey). Hopefully they do this with the other drop forged knives.

when did this grey happen? mine is bronze colored......

when did this grey happen? mine is bronze colored......
This is the first time I have ever seen it. Looks so much better too. I have tried contacting Cold Steel to inquire about it but phone line not working. (Possibly due to massive wildfires burning in Ventura County)!
Looking at the photo it appears similar to the darkened Drop Forged Hunter model. But it also looks smoother as the Hunter finish is grainy like the current SK-5 SRK and Recon Tanto. I wonder if they are doing the same finish on all of the other Drop Forged models? Is it in addition to the silver bronze or a replacement?

Received a Drop Forged Push Knife within the last month and it is silver bronze. But the Boot Knife in the pic on this thread arrived yesterday so maybe as old stock is sold off these grey blades will replace them! Hopefully so. Just imagine the Bowie and Survivalist in grey, wow!!!

...Received a Drop Forged Push Knife within the last month and it is silver bronze. But the Boot Knife in the pic on this thread arrived yesterday so maybe as old stock is sold off these grey blades will replace them! Hopefully so. Just imagine the Bowie and Survivalist in grey, wow!!!

Did you get them both from the same place?

Did you get them both from the same place?
The dark grey Boot Knife was received by Snakebreaker on November 9th. He didn't mention where he purchased it from. Since posting here I have received 2 additional Drop Forged Push Knives and they are both silver in color. I was really hoping that they would be dark grey.

Cold Steel replied to an e-mail saying that all Drop Forged knives would be dark grey from now on. So I guess that until the remaining stock or supply of silver knives are sold we won't be seeing the dark grey models unless we get lucky like Snakebreaker!

36M-Drop Forged Hunter w Leather Sheath (Grey color blade?).
36MA-Drop Forged Hunter w Secure-Ex Sheath (Black Powder Coat).

Upon closer inspection I think that the Hunter w leather sheath is the same grey color as Snakebreaker's Boot Knife. It's difficult to say for certain but the grey Hunter #36M is not as bright or silver looking as the other Drop Forged knives. And it certainly isn't as dark as the black powder coat on the #36MA Hunter with Secure-Ex Sheath. So it seems that there are actually 3 different colors available in the Drop Forged series.

While the grey is a definite improvement over the bright silver coat finish, the black powder coat on the Hunter is the best looking finish of all the other Drop Forged knives in my opinion. The powder coat even has a grainy texture or feel to it as opposed to the smooth, slick feeling on the silver finished knives.

Other than Snakebreaker's Boot Knife photo, I have yet to see or handle a dark grey Drop Forged knife of any kind in person. I am certainly looking forward to doing so. Still it would be cool to see all Drop Forged models made available in black powder coat eventually! Or a deluxe Drop Forged series with DLC finish!!!

The gray is much better looking than the bronze, I wonder if it has more durability too? Judging from user reports here the bronze had almost none. The DLC idea sounds better yet. If you’re going to coat them, make it a good one. I just worry it would be a little slick in the handle area.

The gray is much better looking than the bronze, I wonder if it has more durability too? Judging from user reports here the bronze had almost none. The DLC idea sounds better yet. If you’re going to coat them, make it a good one. I just worry it would be a little slick in the handle area.
According to James from Wisconsin the finish was wearing down just by drawing the knife from the leather sheath. So my guess is that it is no more durable than the silver finish. But it still looks better in any event. I still think these knives would be better off with the black powder coat used on the Hunter with Secure-Ex Sheath!!!

Last edited:
The Survivalist was a good deal in the Christmas sale, but I didn’t really want the bronze once I saw the gray. Should have bought it while I had the chance, since it appears that I’d have to strip either coating anyway.

Edit to add: strange, they now show as “in stock” again so maybe the door is open again...

Last edited:
I've had this out in the woods several times now to see how well the edge and needle like tip hold up against stabbing into hard woods.

The edge holds up just like you would expect from 52100.......great.

The tip however.......

Pretty amazing!! I have a RMJ Raider Dagger made in CPM 3V and after a handful of times stabbing it into wood, it curled the very end of the tip a little. I expected it to. No big deal. I just sanded it down a touch to straighten it and take that fine needle off the tip and it's good to go.

I planned on the same thing happening with the Cold Steel Dagger, but no deals. It's still like a needle after probably 100 plus stabs into wood.

As you can see, the gray coating is wearing off some, but other than that.......very impressed.

I wrapped the handle in hemp string after adding layers of cork in the handle cut outs and then gave it 8 coats of Plasti Dip. Changes the balance and performance a ton!

Great knife.

empty.png

GFj1rJ.jpg

empty.png

20181126_171100.jpg
Snakebreaker
LINK
DIRECT
FORUM
ALT
HTML

I've had this out in the woods several times now to see how well the edge and needle like tip hold up against stabbing into hard woods.

The edge holds up just like you would expect from 52100.......great.

The tip however.......

Pretty amazing!! I have a RMJ Raider Dagger made in CPM 3V and after a handful of times stabbing it into wood, it curled the very end of the tip a little. I expected it to. No big deal. I just sanded it down a touch to straighten it and take that fine needle off the tip and it's good to go.

I planned on the same thing happening with the Cold Steel Dagger, but no deals. It's still like a needle after probably 100 plus stabs into wood.

As you can see, the gray coating is wearing off some, but other than that.......very impressed.

I wrapped the handle in hemp string after adding layers of cork in the handle cut outs and then gave it 8 coats of Plasti Dip. Changes the balance and performance a ton!

Great knife.

empty.png

GFj1rJ.jpg

empty.png

20181126_171100.jpg
Snakebreaker
LINK
DIRECT
FORUM
ALT
HTML

Thanks for the update. Just out of curiosity, if you still have the factory box that the knife came in, can you check to see if the model number is the same as the silver version of the same knife, #36MB?

I just picked up a package and inside sat a brand new dark grey Drop Forged Boot Knife. Wow, what an improvement over that shiny silver paint from the past! Model number is unchanged but the picture on the box is of a dark grey knife. I'm impressed. Looking forward to seeing the other Drop Forged knives with the new color on them.

I wonder what the coating is?
I just called Cold Steel customer service and they told me it is the same teflon coating used before just dark grey instead of silver. The best part of the conversation is that all the Drop Forged knives will be made in the darker color!

Back