Drop Forged Survivalist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenbeers

Gold Member
Update:
After viewing the video again an update seems appropriate.
The area beneath the handle scales is not skeletonized.
The stock is thinner than I thought but solid other than the holes for the scale screws.
The bullet shattered most of the area making it look like the area was completely open to me.
I don't want anyone mislead by my mistaken info.
The knife should take plenty of punishment but no knife could be expected to survive long with the abuse shown in the video.
I apologize for not investigating more thoroughly before I started this thread.

I just watched a Joe X destruction video on the DF Survivalist:

Last edited:
Didn’t watch it yet but if it is forged as one piece I don’t understand why they’d skeletonize it. I’m no knife maker/expert but wouldn’t that just make more work, or would it indicate that the ‘mold’ would be set up for a skeletonized pattern so as to use less steel? Just trying to understand the concept.

Didn’t watch it yet but if it is forged as one piece I don’t understand why they’d skeletonize it. I’m no knife maker/expert but wouldn’t that just make more work, or would it indicate that the ‘mold’ would be set up for a skeletonized pattern so as to use less steel? Just trying to understand the concept.
I'm in the same boat.
Other than some type of cost skimping it makes no sense.

If the knife featured in the video is legit, then it's possible that other models in the drop forged line with scales have also been given the same modification!

I’ve only watched maybe 2 of his destruction videos but did notice in the comments section that he (Joe X) answers questions. He may answer any questions you have about the Survivalist that he used in the vid (ie, skeletonized handle, date of purchase, etc). I have a Drop Forged Hunter (no scales) and love it. But yeah, a skeletonized handle makes no sense???

I'm gonna have to assume that's a clone, until I see evidence from some reviewer who doesn't shoot the test knives with his Glock . :rolleyes:

I don't have much confidence in GSM , but even less in this sensationalist clown . 🤮

Reading the comments on Youtube, somebody suggested that the handle was not skeletonized, but shattered when shot. I viewed the last few minutes and there appears to be segments of steel still within the grip along the edges. If so, it must have been paper thin. Freeze the video at 15:07 and you can see a good sized piece of steel inside the plastic grips!

Last edited:
Reading the comments on Youtube, somebody suggested that the handle was not skeletonized, but shattered when shot. I viewed the last few minutes and there appears to be segments of steel still within the grip along the edges. If so, it must have been paper thin. Freeze the video at 15:07 and you can see a good sized piece of steel inside the plastic grips!
He shot the knife? Ok, that’s just dumb. I didn’t bother watching the vid. Like I said, I’ve only seen 2 of them…that was enough for me. Who the heck shoots their knife, LOL!

His "testing" method is ridiculous but it still doesn't bode well for the knife if it's skeletonized or thinned out too much.
I could see the scales shattering and the steel underneath breaking or showing the impact point but not knocking out the entire area.

I have the older gold model without scales and obviously you can see the handle which is still substantial. Its a great Knife for the price and although I can see some point in abusing a Knife to failure this would include tasks the knife was meant for in this case perhaps some chopping and heavy batoning of wood but certainly not shooting, repeatedly hitting bricks/concrete, stabbing cars and hitting a mild steel pipe. Even my opinels have been used fairly hard and are strong enough for what they were designed for.

I've got other tools for breaking concrete and cutting steel, maybe he should try destroying a masonry/cold chisel, although at 10 stone wet he'd probably break.

Last edited:
This model would benefit from an actual handle and shorter top guard.

The blade steel and profile is a winner.

I don't think the handle was skeletonized, but just broke from the abuse.

Thanks for the pic jlauffer!
That is much thinner than I thought.
The bullet would probably destroy it but the one in the video looks completely cut out.
I guess it shattered all the way around.
It'll probably survive normal use but that seems unnecessarily thin.

Am I wrong for thinking this design would benefit from a skeletonized handle? I have a couple of the original gold models with full tangs and, although they are built to cut, I rarely use them because the weight in the handle is so lopsided that I feel like I have the wrong kind of leverage for cutting/chopping. I often wonder how much better the knife would feel with a lighter handle.

As long as the bolster/guard area and primary outline of the tang remains as thick as it is, does the knife lose any meaningful strength by losing a few ounces of steel in the middle of the handle?

JoeX must have removed the grips and pieces of metal off camera before the scene where he's sitting in the lawn chair discussing the damage to the handle.
Pause the video at 13:20 and you can clearly see jagged portions of the center and plastic handle still intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back