Dual Purpose thrower

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have always been a fan of throwing knives but I prefer to use blades that can serve more than one purpose. Around camp throwers are fun but if they can be used as actual knives, they provide even more fun :) Sure they aren't perfect cutters but I think of them in a hatchet role and since most are heat treated similarly to axes, they can and do cut. Here is one I just finished up today for my next trip to the woods to hunt for stumps :) It is 11 5/8in overall with a 7in blade tip to handle. I made it from 1/4in thick 5160 with G10 scales. Overall finish is left rough since it's intended use is abuse level activities :D It weighs in at 17oz so it is stout but not overly heavy. Should "thunk" nicely. The balance point is right at the bevel shoulders. The clip is not sharpened but merely thinned out for better penetration and to adjust the weight.

That thing is AWESOME!!! Happy Hunting Bill (hopefully I'm not on the list of targets), let us know how she throws.:thumbsup:

Looking forward to sharing the results! Already thinking of another in some thinner .200 stock. Might build another to see which I prefer more.

:) Hey Bill ! That's a beauty . I definitely agree with your philosophy of having a useable knife that can also be a good thrower . That seems to be kinda hard to find . Most throwers I see are pretty useless for anything else . I probably cannot afford a custom :(, but I'm sure having fun practicing throwing some of my sturdier old knives . :cool:

Back