Dude! I Pimped My KLVUK!

Recently I picked up No. 3 KLVUK (12/19 DOTD) with the dark Satisal handle and couldnt help but make that beautiful wood shine just like my big Siru!

12-19-13002_zpscb3cad98.jpg

Hope yall like it! I left all the scale intact because its a KLVUK and wanted it to look like it.

461a52bd89b44160137e3d9d6691fc8e

3bba975f511819385a3c373697863486

0293424e8f9321ab37b41c5fd2428c3b

d8eb821a0595316001dbb50feecd1a1c

Spine was completely polished and also the edge up to the scale.

2d6375e406e2572da460889a5667474d

The handle came out really nice. It was sanded and rubbed down with BLO. I put many coats on and between each coat I rubbed it in with the palm of my hand until it began to warm from the friction then it would dry out and repeat about fifty more times.

e72ef7e7563fb1df7120db99676277d1

I decided to do a little texturing inside the anulo.? (fuller). Ive never done that before so it was kinda scarry at first but I think it came out pretty cool looking. I also textured the flat spot behind the cho but forgot to get a pic of it.

cb212ddb5aff3bbdfb9b1ab721b2b909

Here is a close up of the texturing. I did it with a cutoff wheel on my rotor tool and then sanded it down a bit then polished it some. I wanted it to look like "micro" hammer marks if that makes and sense.
Hope you dont mind Keshar. I tried to keep some villager to it. This will no doubt be one of my favorites. Enjoy!

Last edited:
That's a great look. When I saw the last photo I did think you took a micro-hammer to the Sword of Shiva, until I saw your explanation. You made the SoS look like a forged mini-sword.

Dang Dog that looks amazing man, you got some serious skill, the handle looks great and the metal polishing is tops. One hell of a job sir.

Ndoghouse,
I can't quite see all the detail, despite the excellent photography. So perhaps you should send that klvuk to me via UPS. So i might better see and feel the true character of that fine kuk, ya know, just for a year or two... = ). Lol , just kiddin. What a fine blade man, you rock !

I agree that looks great. By the way, isn't that your wife's khukuri?

He He!! Actually Steve she got the one before that and the one after but this one is actually mine. She likes them rough so they don't "slip out of her hand" This one was so pretty I had to polish it up fast so she wouldnt take it from me:eek:

Ndoghouse,
I can't quite see all the detail, despite the excellent photography. So perhaps you should send that klvuk to me via UPS. So i might better see and feel the true character of that fine kuk, ya know, just for a year or two... = ). Lol , just kiddin. What a fine blade man, you rock !

Thanks on the photography! Hey Id send it to ya! I know you would appreciate it! You would have to wait tho. Cant say how long:rolleyes: Any machinist is a friend of mine:thumbup:

They are beautiful knives and I think they would all pop with their natural grain. Sometimes when a wood looks bland you can finish it anyway and you might be surprised at all the beauty you find just by exposing it. Might just try to lightly sand it before you do any stain and see if you like it? If you like now then you will surely like it when your done. Start with 220 grit paper and work you way all the way up the paper range till you cant stand it any more and rub it with linseed or tung oil.

nice job ndog. i am debating how to make my KLVUK handle pop too, linseed or stain,

Oh my goodness, that is one beautiful KLUVK. I hope to get one eventually and try and get it as beautiful as yours. The blade reminds me of the Finnish Marttiini Condor knife, with the scale left on but still very polished edge. Rock on man.

Thanks all for the kind comments. Im glad yall liked it! Just after I started it I had heard that Bura had his part in the development of this blade with the help of Keshar Lal and when I heard that I was reluctant to do anything at all to these blades. Well I already had a plan and was too far into it to stop so it had to be finished.

Now What? Any ideas?
dcbd629c53bb3601691b4d1977036c6e

Very nice... they look finished but not "too finished". You took them just far enough. Bravo!

Send em to Pugs along with an outline of your feet. Maybe he could make ya some moccasins or something. I don't even know my feet are there but they hurt just looking at that last picture.
Standing in a sliver factory.

Back