Dull Edge

I have a Pentagon elite II love the knife don't know if I like the steel. I sharpened the edge to 15 degrees each side (30 total) using a Lansky. Boy what an edge!!! I could shave without touching my skin! BUT, I stabbed 1/4" plastic, I will say again, plastic and the edge rolled on me. Dull as a butter knife it went. What gives? I also have a tsunami w/aus6 stabbed it through six wooden doors and the thing would still shave! I thought aus8 was better? Is my blade defective? Anyone?:( ;)

Hmmm... 30° included doesn't sound like a problem...:confused:
I'd hate to evaluate a knife via e-mail or Blade Forums ;) . I don't know what the edge looked like before or after stabbing 1/4" plastic (I don't know what kind).
Unfortunately, the only way to determine if it is the sharpening, the stabbed plastic, or the blade would be to have it properly evaluated. Best bet is to call SOG, and they'll take a look at it.:cool:

I made a slight error it wasn't 1/4" but 1/8" plastic. It was soft plastic used in spill containing kits. (I work in a maintenance shop for the military.) I called SOG and they want to evaluate the blade. I have a Cold Steel with the same type blade material and I can't dull the edge. To resharpen I only have to strop.:(

Jim,
Again, I'd hate to make a judgement via internet, so you're best bet is (unfortunately) to send it in. If there is a problem, I have no doubt that SOG will make it right.
As a rule SOG has excellent heat treating on their steel(s), but there is always the possibility of a bad apple....:grumpy:
Let us know what they find.

Doesn't tally with my experiences with the many pentagon folders I own, I think you most likely got a bad apple or something, who knows hopefully you get your problems sorted out without fuss, Sog have good customer service.

Well since no one can help me I'll just go play with my Swamp Rat. Best darn knife I ever bought. I'll post a picture later of mY Battle rat breaking the spine of a SOG Seal 2000 with out any damage to the swamprat. I'll never buy SOG again. Thanks for all the HELP!!!!!:grumpy: :mad:

Originally posted by bigblackjim
I called SOG and they want to evaluate the blade. I have a Cold Steel with the same type blade material and I can't dull the edge. To resharpen I only have to strop.:(
Well since no one can help me I'll just go play with my Swamp Rat.

Jim,
"I called SOG and they want to evaluate the blade"... that sounds to me like they want to help...
Did you send them the knife??? If it is a problem with the blade, they would address and correct it.
Unfortunately about 90% of these problems are "sharpening errors". While yours may not be, they will need to actually see the knife (rather than just your description) before making any decisions.
As I said 5 days ago when you first posted... a blade problem cannot be analyzed via an internet forum... what exactly were you expecting??? :confused:
Please let us know what SOG says if and when you allow them to see this knife.
Thanks,
Rob

I guess it just gets me upset when things don't go as planned. I shipped the knife out yesterday. Thanks for all your help. I only have two folders right at this moment and to part with one is unbearable. Please forgive my anger.:D :D

bigblackjim :

I stabbed 1/4" plastic, I will say again, plastic and the edge rolled on me. Dull as a butter knife it went. What gives?

The steel on many production knives is often weak at the edge due to QC problems. You can often see a large increase in durability and overall performance with repeated sharpenings. The first thing to try when you are disappointed with the edge characteristics of a new knife is to give it a full sharpening, removing all damaged and weakened metals and then repeat the work again to see if performance has improved.

If the damage persists then the first thing that comes to mind is an improper sharpening. So it would be logical to try it with another knife that you also sharpened (with the same method) and see how that fares. If you just see the problem with the one knife then it is obvious that your methods are probably not the issue. You would also want to check the material as it might be contaminated with dirt or debris, usually a signifiant problem with used ropes or wood.

Danbo,

SOG Seal 2000 snapped through the spine in an attempt to chisel through a tension bar, Estwing hammer used as a mallet :
http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/images/tension_bar_knives.jpg

A Camp Tramp from Swamp Rat knives has easily taken far greater impacts with no effect, differential temper on 52100 is far tougher than full hardened 440A stainless. The Battle Rat would be heavier enough to cause a similar break if used as a mallet, the Camp Tramp is a little light though, would need really energetic swings.

-Cliff

Originally posted by bigblackjim
I guess it just gets me upset when things don't go as planned. I shipped the knife out yesterday. Thanks for all your help. I only have two folders right at this moment and to part with one is unbearable. Please forgive my anger.:D :D
No worries!
Let us know what SOG says:D
Send me an e-mail with your full name, and I'll chat with Loretta.;) :cool:

Jim,
I tried to send you an e-mail to follow up, but it said mail delivery failure.
Is the listed address still correct?
Thanks,
Rob

Back