Dumstorferbeil

It was the unusual series of circumstances lead me to getting my grubby hands on the axe which I otherwise would not have, more from lack of motivation than interest.
p8091983.jpg

p8091972.jpg
p8091973.jpg

So when one fell into my lap I was quick to seize on the opportunity.
The form is coming from the time of the middle ages and was in continual use up to the 19 century in German parts mostly but also such axes came into use at least in Holland.
I can see the early attempts at giving the axe a broader cutting edge while holding the weight under control and maintaining sufficient mechanical properties.
p8091977.jpg

p8091981.jpg

Now I have gone and put it to use as a surfacing tool and it does a nice job of it. Here we can credit the exaggerated sweep of the non-beveled side of the edge, making the axe work like a gouge using this technique.
p8091970.jpg

Mounted with an off-set handle on there which is my own interpretation of things.

That's a beautiful old pattern,not often seen,thanks,Ernest.I really like your interpretation of handling it too,sweet tool as a result,i'm sure.

Surprised to see that the blade is in no wise convex at all...or so it appears in photos...The corners don't dig in at all?(Due to your skill?).

I’ve only seen reference to these a few times. Very interesting build. I bet it does some beautiful work in your employ.

The fact that you happened upon a left-handed presentation version is especially fortunate. Sometimes I think I like pictures of your shop almost as much as the axes themselves. As Jake mentioned, the handle looks like great work on your part (as per usual, of course).

Last edited:
Surprised to see that the blade is in no wise convex at all
Deep penetration would indeed result in trouble at the points that's why I avoid it, at least try but things can get quickly out of hand even still:) the axe is an aggressive one if left to its own devises. But anyway, on all accounts I have tried to reduce the convex forms that were there to begin with from the smid, taking much grinding work to accomplish.
The fact that you happened upon a left-handed presentation version is especially fortunate
In fact the smid had two right-handeds but went back to the forge and hammered one for me out in a few hours. He's got the process down.
Sometimes I think I like pictures of your shop almost as much as the axes themselves.
Ok then, just for you my shop as of yesterday. So much daylight in here now because the roof is off!
p8061960.jpg

As I mentioned , a series of circumstances ones that even now I forget but as part of it all I did acquire some cool information. This is the one Peter Mass has in his forge found in Dumstorf which he models for his reproductions, the original being just that much better quality
topor-dick-pravaya-zatochka-370-mm-100-mm-550-g-dumstorfer-bearded-hand-hatchet-m00009185-di-708457.jpg

Jay who now and then will pipe in on this forum sent me this taken from one or other Russian site where axes get discussed, very nice variations.
topor-ustroj_2.jpg
And this from a museum in the area Luneburg where they were looking into these things, I think dated back to 15th century.
aexte-goettingen.jpg

All it seems without exception for right handers a concept I got met with some skepticism by Duits carpenters on mention I must say but then they have a, lets say limited conception of axe work in general, I think.

As I mentioned , a series of circumstances ones that even now I forget but as part of it all I did acquire some cool information. This is the one Peter Mass has in his forge found in Dumstorf which he models for his reproductions, the original being just that much better quality
topor-dick-pravaya-zatochka-370-mm-100-mm-550-g-dumstorfer-bearded-hand-hatchet-m00009185-di-708457.jpg

Jay who now and then will pipe in on this forum sent me this taken from one or other Russian site where axes get discussed, very nice variations.
topor-ustroj_2.jpg
And this from a museum in the area Luneburg where they were looking into these things, I think dated back to 15th century.
aexte-goettingen.jpg

All it seems without exception for right handers a concept I got met with some skepticism by Duits carpenters on mention I must say but then they have a, lets say limited conception of axe work in general, I think.
Ernest, thank you. The Russian resource is particularly interesting. Is it in German? There seems to be a separate word for the toe that extends past the eye? Even if I could make out the words, I think a knowledgeable human would have to translate to common English terms?

Is that a cricket or grasshopper on the blade? (Locust is another option I imagine but seems less distinguished than the first two)

Always interesting.

I think maybe you are referring to what they call Spitze, if I read correctly, this small text,with my poor eyesight. If I recall, my Duits being that limited, spitze would translate into something like "peak" in this instance. The story of the grasshopper is as follows, Peter has taken it on as symbol, also he has it tattooed on his arm, because he is himself such a long-legged creature.

Even the original sent by Jay is illegible to me. I have no way of making the text more clear unfortunately but thanks for your translating work Kevin.
I haven't seen any over here,
And yet when an example of an axe of this type came under discussion earlier you claimed to have had it in your rubber gloved hands. That is the axe off the Nova Zembla shipwreck on display for all to see at the Rijksmuseum, but I'll make it simple and just re-post the one I mean. https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/zoeken/objecten?p=14&ps=12&f.hnrCode.section.sort=17de+Eeuw&f.hnrCode.hall.sort=2.9:+Nederland+overzee&ondisplay=True&st=Objects&ii=3#/NG-NM-7784,156
Must have been a mix-up about the axe on your mind and the one I referenced. Anyway with the one from the shipwreck it's fairly clear that the type of axe concerned had widespread distribution, in both time-span and geography.

Kevin, you seem to be flailing wildly about, a counter productive strategy when you find yourself stick in quicksand.

Back