• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Dustin Turpin Issue Resolved

All:

With permission of the mods, and since the previous thread is now locked, I wanted to update everyone who followed my prior Dustin Turpin thread with this update.

Because the prior thread became so long (and this situation dragged on for so long), I’m going to keep this pretty short and sweet.

About 6 months after posting my public thread here, and in the midst of pursuing some more serious options to deal with this, Dustin reached out, asked me to hold off doing anything further, and agreed to make the remaining two knives within 3 weeks.

Long story short, about 6-7 weeks later, both knives were delivered. So, although there are a few more details to the story, they don’t need to be discussed here – the bottom line is that Dustin completed the knives, for which I thank him.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have now sold all the knives.

A few closing thoughts.

1.For everyone who reached out and offered some friendship, advice and support while this was going on, I sincerely thank you. It meant a lot and it’s awesome when the knife community bands together to help one another.

2.I am posting this because it’s the right thing to do and I am quite sure that Dustin, like I do, wants to put this mess behind him and get back to building great knives. We all know what happened here (if you read the first thread) so please let’s not post a ton of negative comments here. This is about moving forward in a positive way for all concerned.

3.Finally, for all that felt or feel that threads like this are a waste of time, respectfully, you’re wrong. As we all know, Dustin will not be the first maker nor the last to go through something like this. All too often, people are unwilling to speak up for fear of rocking the boat, creating a bad name, losing the chance to get some of the maker’s work – whatever. I think we have an obligation to treat one another honestly and fairly in this hobby and when that does not happen for some reason, and it can’t seem to be resolved, folks should speak up. Trust me, reputation matters!

Anyway, am very happy this worked out and I wish Dustin, who builds one hell of a knife, all the best. Have a good weekend, all.

Last edited:
Always good to see a resolution achieved :thumbup: Glad you were able to see this through and made whole.

Wonderful news Dale!! Just wonderful!!!
I am so glad a gentleman, like yourself, got squared away!! I think we can learn a lesson from this........Dale, you never acted any way but cool. Were willing to give him all the time he needed and never lost your mind.
I give you tons of credit my friend.......you are a truly a good dude in my book and I hope to see you contribute here.......anywhere BUT this sub forum!!!
[emoji51][emoji51]
Joe

the bottom line is that Dustin stepped up and did the right thing

No, the bottom line is that Dustin is putting lipstick on a pig at this point. If you consider this "the right thing" then congratulations, my thoughts on DT have not changed and I'm not sure how you expect people to think this is suddenly acceptable:confused:

Anyways, no need to reply to this post. I'm have no further interest in this soap opera other than expressing my distaste...

That's great news and shows perseverance pays off. Thanks for updating us on the issue.

BladeForums Rocks Again.

Glad you got this resolved lawfor. Remind me to never mess with a lawyer - kidding, you were much kinder than most in this situation! Turpin makes some sweet looking knives, and for the hope of knife enthusiasts, I hope he gets his stuff together, learns a lesson from this, and regains his status as a trusted knife maker.

Glad you got made whole but for me the damage has been done, if someone were to ask me about purchasing a knife direct fromTurpin I would have to in all good conscious have to tell them to steer clear.

Pretty sure this good news does NOT mean it is now cool to deal with DT. Also pretty sure there will not be members lining up to order anything from DT......not gonna happen!!
Only good news I see is Dale Getting what was owed to him........period.
Joe

No, the bottom line is that Dustin is putting lipstick on a pig at this point. If you consider this "the right thing" then congratulations, my thoughts on DT have not changed and I'm not sure how you expect people to think this is suddenly acceptable:confused:

Anyways, no need to reply to this post. I'm have no further interest in this soap opera other than expressing my distaste...

I don't expect or ask people to feel any particular way about it. I think that intelligent people, when given all the facts, can draw whatever conclusions they think are appropriate.

You seem angry about the situation, but I'm the one who had to go through this little "soap opera" as you call it. You don't think I have my own personal views and opinions about what happened? Of course I do. And pretty strong ones at that. But what I think doesn't matter. People can form their own opinions.

My only goal in making this post was to provide new facts. What people choose to make of them is not up to me. I had an obligation to update what took place with this new information out of fairness to all concerned. I'm sure you can understand that.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't expect or ask people to feel any particular way about it. I think that intelligent people, when given all the facts, can draw whatever conclusions they think are appropriate.

You seem angry about the situation, but I'm the one who had to go through this little "soap opera" as you call it. You don't think I have my own personal views and opinions about what happened? Of course I do. And pretty strong ones at that. But what I think doesn't matter. People can form their own opinions.

My only goal in making this post was to provide new facts. What people choose to make of them is not up to me. I had an obligation to update what took place with this new information out of fairness to all concerned. I'm sure you can understand that.

Thanks.

^ Obviously, some people are lacking, in the intelligence department. I would venture to say that 99.9% of the member's here, are able to extrapolate & appreciate the highly unfavorable situation you faced, and the intelligent way that you went about rectifying it, lawfor...

as for the other .10%; you can't fix...aww never mind, they wouldn't understand this idiom either. :stupid:

On a positive note: I'm super stoked, to read that there is finally a resolution, & positive conclusion to your unbelievably long saga with DT. You my friend, are a class act, & deserve the BladeForums, "Patience is a Virtue" of the year award! :thumbup:

^ Obviously, some people are lacking, in the intelligence department. I would venture to say that 99.9% of the member's here, are able to extrapolate & appreciate the highly unfavorable situation you faced, and the intelligent way that you went about rectifying it, lawfor...

as for the other .10%; you can't fix...aww never mind, they wouldn't understand this idiom either. :stupid:

On a positive note: I'm super stoked, to read that there is finally a resolution, & positive conclusion to your unbelievably long saga with DT. You my friend, are a class act, & deserve the BladeForums, "Patience is a Virtue" of the year award! :thumbup:

Very interesting points you make.

I agree with BB about how DT has not stepped up. Doing the right thing after you've been called out do so does not count.

So glad you finally got your knives! Hope the sale went well for you, and you're pretty close to whole here.

Thanks for letting us know! :thumbup:

Exactly Cray. If Dustin Turpin "stepped up to do the right thing", this and the original thread would have never existed in the first place. There's a big difference between doing the right thing and just trying to save your ass once the heat gets too hot.

OP, glad you got your knives and sold them.

Exactly Cray. If Dustin Turpin "stepped up to do the right thing", this and the original thread would have never existed in the first place. There's a big difference between doing the right thing and just trying to save your ass once the heat gets too hot.

OP, glad you got your knives and sold them.

+1

Stepping up because your name is being rung through the mud and your business is suffering, isn't stepping up.

After all this time, he should have made 4 knives to account for interest.

Glad you got something out of this lawfor, but now his character is exposed and won't be brushed under the rug.

+1

Stepping up because your name is being rung through the mud and your business is suffering, isn't stepping up.

After all this time, he should have made 4 knives to account for interest.

Glad you got something out of this lawfor, but now his character is exposed and won't be brushed under the rug.

How true! It should NEVER be swept under the rug. For the simple fact that there are probably LOTS more Dales waiting for resolution.
Joe

I'm stoked for Dale but the last two knives should have been in the configuration he originally ordered and agreed upon and not "makers choice?"

Just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, like he should be happy he received ANY knives at all!

Back