Dutch - Oregon Trail

Right on Kevin! The Dutch-Oregon Trail - nice.

The one you sent me is hung and ready to use but don't have much for internet where I am here on the coast right now. I'll will post pictures up this evening when we are off the road. :thumbsup:

Agent_H is one of the best dudes that hang in here, I can vouch for that from experince. I like Kevin as well :).

And from the first time you mentioned you had a deal with someone, I could bet it was Agent_H and a hewing ax was involved :p.

Agent_H is one of the best dudes that hang in here, I can vouch for that from experince. I like Kevin as well :).

And from the first time you mentioned you had a deal with someone, I could bet it was Agent_H and a hewing ax was involved :p.

And likewise MoonW. Thank you.

Thanks, Kevin. I can get them here at reasonable prices sometimes, we had Germans live in Transylvania for quite a while, so every now and then you can pick up an old goosewing for example. But I appreciate the offer nonetheless!

Yew stave, handle, and the DIN 5131 600 single bevel hatchet head. There is also a hammer head that Kevin sent that didn't make it into the first photo shoot. I'll get up here as well.

36082988356_fefe0f0127_k.jpg

Sharp side

35316390263_a830ca0d9b_k.jpg

36082985956_f79faebe37_k.jpg

36082982966_054b4f3e8a_k.jpg

I contemplated carving a handle for it modeled after a GB carving hatchet:

35955431532_25777dd642_k.jpg

35733273030_59e839fae7_k.jpg

DINing by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

The handle that Kevin sent seemed to be a more “fitting” choice being as he sent it intended for that hatchet. I liked the rougher tool marks on it so I did minimal shaping and just sanded it some. I really don't own that many hatchets. Most of my work is done with a boy's or full-size axe so this one is for woodworking more than processing- and it is sharp. When I get a couple of minutes I plan to try it out for handle roughing with some of the wood I have - an axe to make axes :)

The yew stave is just the right size to make a handle for a Kellokoski 61.2 or maybe even two separate hatchet handles - that will be super fun in and of itself. Getting a piece of locally sourced wood was a cool surprise.

35316374603_824e837307_k.jpg

The wedge was made from the same wood I used to carve the handle for a Russian axe – I think it’s birch. Seems a touch softer than the handle wood. The whole package is taking up all the BLO I can throw at it.

35991570721_26fe69aea2_k.jpg

35955427412_94344e1f52_k.jpg

Fine DINing 600 by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

Fine DINing 600 2 by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

It went with me this weekend and the several people who picked it up didn't want to put it down. In fact, my brother "forgot it" in the gunwales of his boat - little salt air seasoning.

Buying things is always impersonal, trading things can be fun if both parties are on the same page. Kevin also put me in touch with a cool tool guy that offered me a large hewing axe for a price I couldn't pass up - a price I wouldn't have passed up for a pick-up here even with the international shipping. I'll get that up here as well when it arrives.

Now I want to see what Kevin has done with the Kent pattern that finally made it to the Netherlands!

Kevin that is going to be a fine looking tool. At about 3lbs I picture it working well on that length.

The heartwood handle is a nice rich color as well.

The Goosewing flew in last night. :thumbsup:

Weighs 3lbs 11oz

Gewerkschaft C.M. Seebach by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

I believe the makers mark is GEWERKSCHAFT C.M SEEBACH like this photo lifted from an auction.

INP3frF.jpg

What does a good handle on a smaller goosewing look like? Upswept, mainly straight, or even more offset in line with the eye towards the user?

Once again, something I would never have the opportunity to try out without reaching out or defaulting on my mortgage lol. And a small addition to my drawer full of "metal wedge things" ;)

That's a lovely axe! I would make an upturned handle for it, 24"-28" long. It appears to have some offset already built into the eye, is that correct?

That's a lovely axe! I would make an upturned handle for it, 24"-28" long. It appears to have some offset already built into the eye, is that correct?

Square_peg, the eye is offset. This one is considerably smaller than some that I see on line but that might be my interpretation of some of the photos. Many I see have handles that are 1 to 1.5 times the length of the blade - from pictures at least. Long enough to get both hands on but not much more - hopefully Kevin will chime in being 9 hrs ahead of us on the west coast. Upswept seems to be a great start. Dubois is doing a Holly handle on a similar (super fine specimen of something but of course!) that I might try to approximate.

It does show wear, especially at the heel, but I don't need something I will not want to use.

K Kevin Houtzager saw this deal and put me in touch with a great guy. Kevin also detailed wire transfers, provided links to German versions of auction sites, coached me on what to look for with these style axes, and hunted axes there for me, and really does have some pretty good stories. He's been super helpful to say the least. :thumbsup:

Back