Dutch - Oregon Trail

Vienna to Oregon - clearing customs right now. I wasn’t sure which thread to add load time to. It’s along similar lines.

It will need a handle as that one in it right now only fills half the eye vertically. Though, that handle might be perfect for something else I would like to set up.

Seller’s photos:

Spanhacken
by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

spanhacken.back
by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

German? Austrian? Binderbeil or similar?
CxYUfzk.jpg

Much less sophisticated than the majestic breitbeil but but I bet good at something. What grind angle would one guess for use? It seems clean, thought it was interesting.

Any input is welcome. Build quality/construction from a smith’s or knowledgeable user’s viewpoint is most welcome.

Hardly looks used. I bet it would respond favorably to a knotted wire cup brush.

It doesn't exactly match any of those axes shown in the image. Might be closest to #445 or the tischlerbiel.

Size?

Hardly looks used. I bet it would respond favorably to a knotted wire cup brush.

It doesn't exactly match any of those axes shown in the image. Might be closest to #445 or the tischlerbiel.

Size?

I actually have a fresh knotted wire cup brush. OAL is 15.75" the sheet/blade is 8 x 9.6". Weight to be determined.

Agent_H,i'm looking forward to you getting it,and taking your own photos.
On these ones,the surface looks odd...Has that look of almost like a new casting...(which i'm sure it isn't).
I wonder if it was Very rusty at some point,and someone cleaned it deeply using electrolysis,removing oxides that have been formed in that odd,micro-pitted sort of texture...(it's clear down the bevel to the very edge even,where you'd think metal would be very level and smooth...).

I think that it's a classy old tool and will look and work great,under your patient,competent care.Congratulations!

Sorry,that was just a shot in the dark,i'm not at all familiar with hanging such tools.

However,that last photo speaks to this head being if not a NOS/virgin,then at least in a very good shape indeed...Hard to imagine it having been any thinner/sharper angled ...

What grind angle would one guess for use?
My guess would be 25 deg.

But IDK, good question. I am curious, but couldn't find much. FWIW:

Biber Classic Carpenter's Broad Hatchet
179407.jpg

"With a bevel on one side (approx. 25 degrees). . ."
https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/biber-classic-carpenters-broad-hatchet.aspx

Highland (and others) also sell a pattern similar to yours, but I couldn't find what angle was used.

Biber Classic German Pattern Broad Axe
179413-03d.jpg

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/mueller-biber-classic-german-broad-axe.aspx

Perhaps send an inquiry?

Bob

Thats actually the oily pitch from quenching. I see that all the time on axes from around here. Usually to protect it from rust.

Kevin,thanks for your response.
We sometimes have a bit of a language barrier,but i get your meaning in general,and hope that you're right.
(Strictly,technically,speaking it of course cannot be so:After quenching comes tempering,which is lower T then the quench,but is still hot enough to burn off any "oily/pitchy" substance).
But axes were often(and quite possibly still are)coated with assorted stickum after the process."Japanning" was an old method,an asphalt-based routine,et c.
(It still beats me why such coating would appear "granular",but lets see what happens when Agent_H has a chance to look it over closely).

Back