Dye on wet or dry leather?

If I'm dying black I'll do wet or dry it doesn't matter. But if going any other color I'll go wet. I've got some interesting looks with using rubbing alcohol to prewet.

I prefer dry. I'd experimented with dyeing wet some years back and was never really satisfied with the results.

thanks for the answers.... perfectly mirrors the rest of my searches... A? Or B? Both!

When I started I researched a guy by the name of Mike Tea who's sheaths I really admired .
His technique was to dye wet , but he then put a second application on dry when the first had dryed .
His results were outstanding , my attempts never reached his standards so I just put it on dry now , but i do still use the two applications . The second is just a light one but it does even out the finished effect .

Ken

Getting the leather uniformly wet was one of the reasons I quit dyeing wet. I had different absorption rates based on the dampness of an area. Got some mottled results. The absolute best way of dyeing a smallish item like a sheath or a holster is to dunk the completed item in a bucket of dye susspended on a wire. Many years ago I had a deal where I was building about 80 holsters for a gun (Smith 4006). Most of the holsters were black. Bought a gallon of black dye and a dedicated plastic tub. Dunking worked very well and gave an absolutely uniform color.

Dunking would be the solution but I'm doing another cue case and it'll have some variation in colors...
Wanted to use russet or saddle tan on the large background areas, but those seem to blotch easily when applied lightly and darken when applied heavily.

Looks like more scrap experimentation is in order... particularly damp and second coat dry...

Thanks for the comments and feel free to keep them coming.

Back