Dyeing Bone Scales

Hello Folks,

Mods if this thread is better placed in MT&E, I fully understand. :)

I have a couple Case knives where the scales are darker on one side and lighter on the other. Primarily I'm talking about an Amber Bone Mini Copperlock but my 6.5 Bone Stag Mini Trapper has some slight difference as well.

I really like the orangey-carmelish look and am wondering what folks recommend? Colors, times, etc.?

I'm also wondering if having the varying degrees of intensity will just be compounded by dyeing? In other words, one side will just continue to be a darker shade of whatever?

All are stainless steel.

Really appreciate any advice at all here and as always, thank you in advance.

You can deal with that two tone issue by bleaching the scales with hydrogen peroxide first before dyeing them. This will take out almost all the colour.

I did it to this 74 which was once cougar clawed bone - you will notice how even the colour is between the peaks and troughs, which were once white and black (I didn’t try and get them perfect).

pBgHGsv.jpg

I have some posts on this forum about dyeing using RIT dye. It works well but there is a risk of blemishing the steel - even stainless. Liquid RIT dye is the best choice because you don’t get specks of un dissolved dye, which can tarnish the metal.

Last edited:
Back