1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Dyeing Bone Scales

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Eli Chaps, May 15, 2019.

1. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Hello Folks,

Mods if this thread is better placed in MT&E, I fully understand. :)

I have a couple Case knives where the scales are darker on one side and lighter on the other. Primarily I'm talking about an Amber Bone Mini Copperlock but my 6.5 Bone Stag Mini Trapper has some slight difference as well.

I really like the orangey-carmelish look and am wondering what folks recommend? Colors, times, etc.?

I'm also wondering if having the varying degrees of intensity will just be compounded by dyeing? In other words, one side will just continue to be a darker shade of whatever?

All are stainless steel.

Really appreciate any advice at all here and as always, thank you in advance.

2. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Yes. Based on my experience... highly likely.

Here's a pretty good read:

Dyeing Bone: A Tutorial

knowtracks and Eli Chaps like this.
  3. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
  4. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    You can deal with that two tone issue by bleaching the scales with hydrogen peroxide first before dyeing them. This will take out almost all the colour.

I did it to this 74 which was once cougar clawed bone - you will notice how even the colour is between the peaks and troughs, which were once white and black (I didn’t try and get them perfect).

[​IMG]

I have some posts on this forum about dyeing using RIT dye. It works well but there is a risk of blemishing the steel - even stainless. Liquid RIT dye is the best choice because you don’t get specks of un dissolved dye, which can tarnish the metal.

Last edited: May 15, 2019