Dying Rawhide?

afishhunter

Gold Member
I have a axe sheath (covers edge only plus a buckled strap) that is probably made of rawhide.

Do I need anything besides leather dye and some swabs to dye rawhide?

Is any brand of leather dye better than any other (penetration, UV/weather resistance, etc.) or are they all pretty much the same?

After dying, what do I need to water-proof it?

Thank you.

Here's the pics:

wYXegxO.jpg

tf1U6ta.jpg

Steve thats veg tan leather not rawhide. Its pretty pale so I could see why a guy might think that it was. How dark do you want it?

Thanks, Dave.
I'd like to get it a dark brown/chocolate. About the same as the toes of my Polar Fox wingtip boots.

Last edited:
I'd use Fiebings Pro Oil Dye:

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Chemicals/Dyes-Stains-Antiques/Oil-Dyes

They make it in numerous browns, light brown, dark brown, walnut, show brown, Spanish brown etc. Use one of those disposable foamy brushes to apply. I would let the dye dry and then buff. Ya get some dye transfer onto your rag. I would follow with a coat of warm pure neatsfoot oil, an extremely light coat. The next day I would apply a coat of something like Oakwood leather conditioner. Let it stand for about 15 minutes and buff again. One thing with dyed leather is you always even years later have a possibility of dye transfer. So just be aware.

Back