Eagle Update

My WC Eagle initially suffered from terrible lock stickiness, so much so I tried to send it to Les George to be fixed but the Post Office never connected with him. $14 and two weeks down the drain.

However, after trying the Sharpie treatment, which helped until it dried, I finally wiped it all off with alcohol and after continuing to cycle it, it finally went away.

This thing now is perfect!

I EDC it at work in dress slacks, and other than my Benchmade 530 Pardue (which is no match for the Eagle, it is a proper 4" knife and the 530 is now my bicycle-riding carry knife) nothing else comes close to carrying in such a thin, unnoticeable package.

If you ever wondered about the Eagle, I'll tell you it is an awesome package. Highly recommended!

It's a pain having to deal with the sticky lock but like you once fixed it's butter. Still a great thin flipper.

PS - Your post made me bring out again.

My eagle suffered from the sticky lock sickness (mild case), but after drooling all over it :D, it quickly turned to butter

20140612_174639_resized_zpsbf8f1ee1.jpg

I've been carrying mine daily, both at work and afterward paired with another knife.

Les George hit it out of the park with this one. I like it better than any other of his knives, and compared to my other MidTechs it holds its own for sure.

So glad he dreamed this one up!

It's really odd that someone who runs a small, perfectionist operation like this should have any sticky folders.

I have four Les George folders, including the wonderful Eagle. Two are perfect and two are sticky. I purchased a fifth on the Exchange, but it was so hard to open and close I returned it to the seller - regretfully, since I really wanted it.

When makers hear these stories, they inevitably say, "Send it back, I'll fix it."

But, really, why should you have to? Or diddle around with your new toy with Sharpies, graphite or lubes to get it to work properly?

Isn't one reason you buy from a respected artist because you know you're getting individual service from the man himself?

It's really odd that someone who runs a small, perfectionist operation like this should have any sticky folders.

I have four Les George folders, including the wonderful Eagle. Two are perfect and two are sticky. I purchased a fifth on the Exchange, but it was so hard to open and close I returned it to the seller - regretfully, since I really wanted it.

When makers hear these stories, they inevitably say, "Send it back, I'll fix it."

But, really, why should you have to? Or diddle around with your new toy with Sharpies, graphite or lubes to get it to work properly?

Isn't one reason you buy from a respected artist because you know you're getting individual service from the man himself?

Fully agreed on addressing the lock stickiness before shipping it. Get a carbidizer like CRK & Hinderer do with their Ti lock faces. At least, send it out someone to harden the lock face if you don't want to put a replaceable SS insert.

Totally agree with both of you. It is an issue that should be addressed from the beginning. It's not an inexpensive knife to begin with, and that kind of money warrants no issues from the get-go.

If they are going to "fix it," how do they do so? By then carburizing it? So do it in the first place!

I REALLY like that knife, however. I EDC mine and probably will the rest of my life. Fact is, I'm probably getting a back up just so I can always ensure I have one.

Congrats on your new score - it's a really nice knife.

Mine was sticky as well.. turns out from me getting excess lube on the lockface / lockbar. Might be worth giving it a cleaning to see if that is your issue

Got mine in today, looks like mine came with sharpie on the lock face. Anyone else notice this?

Got mine in today, looks like mine came with sharpie on the lock face. Anyone else notice this?

I got one back in mid-November and it came with sharpie on the lock face of the blade tang. Seemed odd, but Wilson Combat confirmed it was new, not a return or anything like that.

Back