Earlier lockup

I've gotten earlier lockup by 10-15% by putting a piece of masking tape on the part of the tang that hits the stop pin. Any opinions on this practise. Most of my CRKs have the usual 60-75% lockup but I prefer an earlier one.

I think that defeats the purpose of the lock by not allowing the blade to fully open. The later the lockup the more secure the locking. There should be no problem unless the blade is hard to disengage. I don't think putting tape on the tang is a good idea.

Last edited:
That seems like a good way to get your knife to fail you. If early lockup is your primary concern, frankly, I'd get a different knife.

Why do you want your knife to lock up that early? Later lock=more secure. It only bothers me when it gets too close to 100%, but in a crk that would take years of hard use!

Early lock up in my opinion is only important for a liner lock and some lower end frame locks like strider lol. Any ways, late lock up on CRKs does not bother me because i know it is going to stay like that for pretty much ever, and if you have problems send it back to CRK!!

I've gotten earlier lockup by 10-15% by putting a piece of masking tape on the part of the tang that hits the stop pin. Any opinions on this practise. Most of my CRKs have the usual 60-75% lockup but I prefer an earlier one.

If you are not trolling, I'd honestly like to hear your reasoning here. You've taken a precision engineered tool and compromised it by adding masking tape to it. I really don't understand this. Can you tell us why?

I think a lot of folks look at Hinderer knives as perfect and everyone I see has crazy early lockup. While I know they are solid knives it quite frankly scares the living hell out of me!

IMG_0283_opt-1.jpg

xm5.jpg

CAA69E8C-0361-41A1-AE30-5E4F42764470-481-0000009718A55C12_zps93c6f099.jpg

What they said - and especially when CRK has designed and manufactured these knives for 50-70% lockup. IMHO you're experimenting with digital failure. ;) By which I mean, losing part of a finger if the knife unlocks. :(

'lock obsession' seems to be a by product of the liner/frame lock clique. Maybe it is because of the constant one-hand open/close play that becomes so addictive with these models? Is the 'early' lock-up so much faster and longer wearing that it exhibits superiority over those laggard clumsy slow 'full lock-up' types? Somehow I think it just becomes stylistic smoke & mirrors. Good locks work.

Back