Early lockup, is it safe?

Long time lurker, first time poster. Also a first time Sebenza owner, so pretty clueless to a point. Need a sanity check please. Here’s how my lock looks today: https://imgur.com/a/iDjFLVE

Small 21 PJ purchased new from KnifeArt about a week ago. Was happy with how it felt. Thought a breakdown and clean after break in made sense. On reassembly lock stick was severe. Required two thumbs at times. Found YouTube video explaining how to use opposing force on the handle sides to achieve earlier lockup and reduce stick. Following that procedure lock stick is back to how it felt from the factory (small but not zero). But now looking closely at bar and tang I’m concerned it’s too early to be safe. Then again I’ve been staring at it so much the last 24 hrs I feel cross-eyed.

I sent this same pic to CRK for their input. I’d also appreciate your thoughts. I just want to get back to enjoying my first CRK and not worry about the thing. Thanks for your experienced input.

Attachments

• 03B0859F-8025-4182-8516-DB3CCD6DAE81.jpeg
    03B0859F-8025-4182-8516-DB3CCD6DAE81.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 55
I'd crack the screws all just barely loose and flick it open then tighten the screws . Then flick it open again. This should set things nicely in place.

I'd crack the screws all just barely loose and flick it open then tighten the screws . Then flick it open again. This should set things nicely in place.

I’ll be damned. That seems to have done it. Sits right at 50% now. Thank you very much!!

So I guess the precision and tight tolerances of these knives means reassembly takes a little wiggling and fiddling to get everything lined back up again? Is there a list of these tips and tricks anywhere or do I just have to learn to use “the force”?

Thanks again.

Congrats on your first Sebenza. And certainly not the last :) we all know sebenzas are a gateway to bankruptcy

I’ll be damned. That seems to have done it. Sits right at 50% now. Thank you very much!!

So I guess the precision and tight tolerances of these knives means reassembly takes a little wiggling and fiddling to get everything lined back up again? Is there a list of these tips and tricks anywhere or do I just have to learn to use “the force”?

Thanks again.

Here is a video direct from CRK.

Basically what I mentioned above works well too.

Enjoy. Cant wait for my next Reeve.

So I guess the precision and tight tolerances of these knives means reassembly takes a little wiggling and fiddling to get everything lined back up again?

I’ve never found it to require fiddling to come back together perfect. Video linked above is a great explanation of how to break down and reassemble the Sebenza. It’s not exactly rocket science, but assembling the handles and sliding the blade in are one less than obvious step.

Do keep in mind, almost nothing requires that the knife be taken apart. It’s perfectly fine to leave it for years and not worry about it.

I like early lock up. Never had a Sebenza lock to close before I wanted it too.

Back