Easiest Locking Mechanisms to Make

Hi everyone I just recently got into knifemaking and I think I'm ready now to try my hands at some folders. My first question is what would be the easiest locking mechanism to make? Not really worried about benefits and drawbacks of each one during use, just wondering what's best to start out with. My second question is how does a sort of detent lock slip joint stack up to other lock types in terms of ease of construction? Like where would it fall in the hierarchy of easiest locking mechanisms. I'm working with a dremel, a drill press (that I'm thinking of starting to use as a makeshift mill), a belt sander and a grinder.

Thanks!

The simplest lock I can think of is a collar like opinel uses...

Basically a metal collar that rotates to keep the blade from closing. Pretty simple!

oh yeah I forgot about that one. Could be pretty cool. Is there much of a skill gap between a frame lock and a liner lock?

Don't know, I've never made either! We'll have to wait for some of the folder guys to comment.
@SBuzek

I'd say there is not too much difference in difficulty between frame lock and liner lock with depending on what tools you have. With a framelock you are likely going to need some relief on the lock bar to allow the mechanism to be operated easily by finger pressure so a mill is very nice for that (although certainly not essential). With a framelock you have the addition of scales so there is some more components, potentially couple more threaded holes etc.

Just jump in I reckon - there is a lot of great advice around and many makers willing to give some help along the way.

Ian

Easiest?

Your thumb on a friction folder.

I suggest you go to Chris Crawfords website and find a video on how to make what you want. https://streaming.chriscrawfordknives.com/shop

skip a lot of wasted time and learn everything you need to know from a professional

Shoot this is awesom thanks man
Your welcome
I was making slipjoints then bought Luke Swensons slip joint video and it drastically decreased the learning curve. Since them I purchased Bill Rupple multiblade as well as Craig Brewers multiblade.

You can learn things from these accomplished makers you will not learn on the forums

Back