1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Easy way to re-coat pocket clip?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Gideons, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Gideons

Gideons

Dec 9, 2015
    Hey BF,

Im a big fan of discrete all black and preferably with a matte finish pocket clips. But eventually all pocket clips get scratched up and become less discrete. I was curious if there was a quick method to touch up or put a black coating on a pocket clip?

Thanks,

Gideons

2. coinbuysell

coinbuysell Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2014
    I had a Black Corolla a few years ago and just use the left over touch up paint that I bought for the door dings. It is a little shiny but works pretty well for me.

It is a small tube with a pen on one end and a small brush inside if you unscrew the other end.

3. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Nothing good is quick.
    A knife dude has got to do what a knife dude has got to do . . .
    :)
    Sounds like a parkerized clip is what is best for you .
    Probably least hassle is to order a parkerized clip that fits your knife.
    Barring that you could send it off and get it done but not quick or cheep.

Like this ? LINK > > >

marrenmiller likes this.
  4. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Sharpie or model paint

5. Gideons

Gideons

Dec 9, 2015
    Big fan of benchmade parkerized pocket clips. The knife I've been EDCing a lot recently is the SOG terminus XR been thoroughly impressed with it so far. It is the cheapest knife I've owned, and they don't give free pocket clips to Canadians unlike ZT or BM. The pocket clip is starting to show some wear, kind of defeating the purpose of the ultra deepcare clip. Also being in Canada shipping to U.S. modifiers is very expensive haha.

6. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Carbon fiber might be a workable option. I don't have a single one but I have seen photos of them here in the forums. Some are shiny and clear coated looking but some are flat black and they are black through and through so no chance of it wearing off.

7. akguy59

akguy59

Aug 19, 2017
    Another option is ceracote. You could probably find someone locally who does it and see if they would do your clip when they are doing a job for another customer. It is a very durable coating that would stand up to day to day use probably better than anything else you could do.

8. Brules1

Brules1

Jul 22, 2007
    The carbon fiber clips are not very durable. I would recommend either Ceracote or Duracoat, or powder coat.

AntDog likes this.
  9. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Exactly what I was going to recommend. The clip is so small I bet you could get a place to coat it for a few bucks as long as they were doing a bunch of black parts that day.

10. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    My zt 0566 clip was painted and loosing the paint fast. So I removed it all and heat colored it. Its not black but the dark color does help it not stand out as much.
    [​IMG]

colin.p likes this.
  11. Gideons

Gideons

Dec 9, 2015
    Have you ever used duracoat? I read that it takes 2-4 weeks to properly set after being applied?

12. Brules1

Brules1

Jul 22, 2007
    I have never used Duracoat, but a friend uses it on guns and says it take about 24-48 hours to "set".

marrenmiller likes this.
  13. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    I usually give up and satin finish my clips. It's easy to refinish them with scotchbrite when they get too scuffed up.

I'd try cerakote if I needed black, though.