Ebony Timeframe & Details

David Nowlin

Gold Member
Seen a few questions in unrelated threads about when the Ebony will be hitting the shelves? Inquiring minds want to know.
Also will all the older stock need to be cleared first? I usually buy a 110 at Walmart every year but have to wait on the 2019 stamp to appear. Guess i will be waiting for the stamp and Ebony now if wallys will even get them?

I thought i saw you posted a picture of it. Can’t remember which thread?
Is the wood just black or is there a nice grain look to it?

Inguess they are available now? Was asking when we might see them at BP or Wally's, you know local retailers.

I recall buying my Alaskan Guide 119 at Cabelas. I made them look through the entire cabinet until they found me a 75th Anniversary. They did. Point is they had a mix of old and new.

As they sell, they will receive more. Assuming we are done with Dymondwood, the Ebony will come.

Just dawned on me. Did they have a 119 50th anniversary Knife? And that was 1992 unless my math is wrong?

I hope they change the part number after the switch to back ebony, that will make it a lot easier to tell which is which.

Running changes can have the same date code, so that will work best after the first year or so. The number on the box is real time (or should be) so that was my hope, the p/n would change. Most on line or print retailers use stock artwork so you really don’t see the actual item, you have to hope they update the ad copy to the correct numbers as they change over.

The Date Code and the Box will tell you....
Eventually. The 101 fixed blade hunter I received a week ago in Crelicam Ebony handle has a 2017 date code blade and 6/15/2018 date code box, but the handle is Crelicam Ebony. Also, no 'Natural Markings' insert or sticker affixed to the outside of the box entitled 'Genuine Ebony Hardwood Handle' like the finger groove 110 Crelicam Ebony knife I received on the same order. Probably take a while for them to use up old inventory of the blades and boxes on the 101.

Last edited:
You have to be a Leo or service member to order an Auto version?

from buck direct....yes, but not sure never tried. from dealers who ship to legal to buy and own states.... no. from dealers who sell in your state where it's legal to buy and own...no.

on another topic how to know if ebony...from buck email sent out on the topic....

EbonyBG-InStores.jpg

You have to be a Leo or service member to order an Auto version?

Check out knifecenter.com they have them and so do alot of secondary Buck knife sellers....Buck as a manufacturer is bound by Federal law from shipping to everybody...They're in the legal process of having that law changed...

I'm not sure about the Knife Center add? Their add said Ebony back in the middle of summer before talk of ebony was ever mentioned. Unless they had factory exclusive ebony, which is possible. I've seen some sellers in the past advertise as ebony dymondwood, and some leave out the dymondwood all together. I have a 101 fixed hunter from copper and clad that if i remember correctly is from 2016, and it is ebony, but I think it was a factory exclusive or something like that.

They were the first ones to have them in stock. The same with all of the new models and variations of old...

Wasn't the 110's Ebony Dymondwood? Now they are Real Ebony...:D:D:D:D

Back