EDC and Self Defence?

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums. Recently, I've been learning knife combat in martial arts and would like to buy an Emerson knife for self defence and one for everyday practical use. The two knives that stand out to me (for self defence) are the combat karambit and the cqc 15.

Here are some questions I have:

Should I carry two dedicated knives; one for self defence and one for work?

Should I opt for a knife containing a plain/straight edge blade and a fully serrated blade or one blade with both functions?

Is black finish or satin/stone wash a better option?

Is the combat karambit more managable than the super karambit without massive hands?

Can the karambit be used as a 'utility' knife or should it be dedicated for self defence?

The karambit isn't a stabbing weapon (which seems more common than slashes in fights). Is this a problem?

Can the cqc 15 function as a decent 'utility' knife?

Should I attach a lanyard to either knife or will it get in the way with switch grips?

Are there other knives that come more highly recommended?

Why are Emerson knives cheaper to buy through other websites than on the official Emerson site?

Which website is highly recommended and safe?

Thanks for the help!

- I usually carry one knife, but when I carry a Combat Karambit, it's usually a secondary knife.

Should I opt for a knife containing a plain/straight edge blade and a fully serrated blade or one blade with both functions?
- It depends on what you use it for. Serrated edges are great for things like rope, cardboard, etc. For other things, a plain edge can be better.

- IMO, stonewash looks better, but the black finish is much better protection against rust.

Is the combat karambit more managable than the super karambit without massive hands?
- I have smaller hands and find the Combat Karambit to be perfect.

Can the karambit be used as a 'utility' knife or should it be dedicated for self defence?
- The Karambit is a really poor utility knife due to it's blade shape.

The karambit isn't a stabbing weapon (which seems more common than slashes in fights). Is this a problem?
- The Karambit is a very specialized blade. Training is highly recommended.

- The CQC-15 has a great shape for a EDC and utility knife.

Should I attach a lanyard to either knife or will it get in the way with switch grips?
- A lot of people use a lanyard to help them get a better grip or make it easier to retrieve from their pocket. I personally can't stand them. It's a personal preference thing.

WOW tokerblue what a display of patience!!! are you a CPA or something like that LOL
Agree with TB:thumbup:

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums. Recently, I've been learning knife combat in martial arts and would like to buy an Emerson knife for self defence and one for everyday practical use. The two knives that stand out to me (for self defence) are the combat karambit and the cqc 15.

Here are some questions I have:

Are there other knives that come more highly recommended?

Why are Emerson knives cheaper to buy through other websites than on the official Emerson site?

Which website is highly recommended and safe?

Thanks for the help!

Listen up. With all due respect, after reading your list of questions and concerns, you need to contact and begin training with a good instructor before packing a karambit (or any other knife) for self defense. You sound like an accident looking for a place to happen.

By all means purchase one of the Emerson knives you like and use it for EDC but you need instruction or guidance of some sort before going banshee nutz with a karambit, or any knife in a fight - self defense or not. Why not start out with a trainer and some videos at the very least. Defending your life with a blade is no joke and a lot more personal and up close than busting a cap at somebody from 10 yards away.

You mention you've started training in martial arts. Seek out your teacher's advice on this before you go any further with something, he'll answer these qyestions if you've found the right instructor.

dont waste your time with the Emerson,

this is the do all blade you need to protect your life:thumbup:

microtech-jagdkommando-special-black-open.jpg

I carry one knife, I have carried it for almost 3 years and I am happy with it.
Big enough for self defense and small enough to carry everyday.
I feel naked without it!!!

Emerson Super Commander

DSCN0191.jpg

Good questions. I would recommend carrying ONE knife for both. You will use it mostly for utility and will probably never use it for self defence unless you make a habit of looking for trouble and hanging out in bars frequented by bearded men in leather vests where country music is frequently heard. (I recommend wine bars, they are far more civilised and the ratio of women to men is 3-1 instead of the other way round). The Emerson I would recommend is the CQC-8. It is perfect for both apps, especially since they brought back the swedge. I think the 15 is a good choice too. Or the 10. But really, try to avoid stabbing or slashing anyone, its just not cool. I would highly recommend a stonewashed finish. I would not recommend serrations, full or otherwise, but that's MY personal preference. I would suggest you check on the EKI website for the list of prestige dealers and go with the one who's name/website/prices you like best. Otherwise check the BST area here, you will find one eventually if you're lucky.

dont waste your time with the Emerson,

this is the do all blade you need to protect your life:thumbup:

microtech-jagdkommando-special-black-open.jpg

WTF is that??....do you have to squat to pizz to use this thing? That thing will never find a home around me. I'll go with a Persian any day.

I agree. ^ Know your weapons and tactics.
I forgot to add that I hope a bad situation never arises.

Fixed blade is better than a folder for self defense. One less step in deployment.
It needs to be accessible from a comfortable carry position. You will need to practice carry and draw positions as well as weapon retention.

Fixed blade is better than a folder for self defense. One less step in deployment.
It needs to be accessible from a comfortable carry position. You will need to practice carry and draw positions as well as weapon retention.

This is true, but in some area's it's not legal to conceal a fixed blade. Where I live, they do not allow you to carry a fixed blade unless it's easily visible. Most officers won't cause an issue, unless you piss them off, but to me it's not really worth the risk. But that's just me..... I know some who have carried a fixed blade for years, and never gotten in trouble.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help and advice. I decided to go with the Spyderco Endura 4 Wave as my first 'expensive' EDC knife. The spear point blade is decent enough for thrusting and slashing which will hopefully give me a feel for both. It also comes with the Emerson's wave feature which really sold me on the knife considering how much cheaper it is than an actual Emerson. I would like to buy at least one Emerson eventually, but as a first knife I wouldn't want to regret such a pricy purchase without first handling them for awhile.

I'd just like to comment on what a couple people have mentioned about 'flashing' a knife around and acting tough. This will never be an issue with me as the only times anyone will see that I carry a knife is when I use it for everyday tasks or if I know someone has an appreciation of knives. Many people are terrified of knives because maybe they've only see the bad side of them and not the more practical everyday applications. My intentions are not to purposefully scare anyone. Just thought I'd clear that up.

My next purchase will be a hawkbill/sheepsfoot electrician's/lineman's folding knife. I've made a thread regarding this, but would like to also keep this one open as I'm sure many other people have useful opinions to share that will further help others as well as myself.

The kerambit or karambit is a utility knife, it started off as a farmers tool. They were used as weapons out of necessity.

+1 on the fixed blade, it doesnt have to be huge think quality neck knife.

You are already training? First step is defending yourself open handed against armed attacker when the proximity is too close to run, then worry about your self defense knife.
(also make sure your uke is intent on slashing and stabbing you to death when you train...dont let him stand there static after he has made his slash or stab attempt make sure he is trying to draw back the weapon for more. You had better make sure you can control the weapon hand) Dont be discouraged....the more we sweat in training the less we bleed in combat. Forget videos until you know what to look for. Videos are great when you know enough to watch the entire body not just the top half.

Just saw you bought the endura, I carried one for years. Excellent all around knife. If you dont want the pocket clip exposed river city sheaths makes a neck sheath rig for it that works great.

I carry many knives. You never know when your primary knife hand could be trapped or pinned down! :D

machete.jpg

Its more pricey to buy from the maker because they normally sell at the full msrp whereas a dealer gets them at wholesale and does a markup they feel is fair and will move the product which is normally well under msrp. For example the Boker Vox Rold sells from Boker for $169, sells in the Kennesaw catalog for $112 and brand new on ebay for as low as $80. Its crazy sometimes thats why you gotta do your research before just buying one from the maker which is almost always who is gonna come up first on an online search. I check at least 10 place(catalogs/web/stores) before buying cuz then you can take the lowest price to the cheapest store near you and get them to beat it. You may only save a couple bucks but $ is $.

Hey guys. I've heard that Emerson's karambit has a 'weak blade point'. Is that suggesting other companys' karambit versions have a stronger point or is it just the design of the blade that makes the point weak? (Assuming this is true) The karambit doesn't have a strong spine to support the point so there could be truth to that claim.

Thanks again for all the help and advice

Back