EDC Backpack

H0kieengineer

Gold Member
I’m looking to get a new EDC pack and am looking for suggestions. Mainly office use, though I would take it with me for when I travel. I currently use a 5.11 sling pack and like the concept but don’t like to execution. The pockets really aren’t accessible when the pack is on.

I’ve been looking at the Maxpedition Kodiak Gearslinger and it seems like a good choice. Does anyone have other suggestions? I am no opposed to a more traditional 2 strap back, though I like the quick accessibility of the 1 strap bags.

I have a Kodiak, it served me well for a few years. Very easy to access the pockets with it on flipping it around to the front. The pockets and zipper pulls are oriented for that. The organization left a little to be desired for smaller items. It kind of felt like I was just stuffing things in there.

It was bigger than I need for a daily bag. I either crammed too much stuff or had too much room. It worked great as carry on for a couple days trip when I used it for that. I could carry a couple days worth of clothes(I'm short and my clothes fold down small) and whatever else I needed.

It's a little bigger than your current bag. If you like the kodiak setup but want something a little smaller their Sitka is the exact same just a bit smaller. Probably closer to the Moab 10.

I currently use a 5.11 Lv10. It's about as perfect for me as I could get. Great organization and I can get to everything I need with it on. It's a bit smaller than the moab. It doesnt fit my laptop in it very well though. I have to squeeze it in there to fit it. If it were an inch wider it'd be perfect.

I'm not sure if mine would fit your needs or solve the problems your trying to solve, but I've been carrying an Oakley sling pack for the past 5 years or so and have been quite pleased with it. I mostly carry it when I leave the house and keep it in my vehicle, and I use something else for travel, so our uses are different however. I've tried a few others over the years from the well known gear brands (5.11/Vanquest/Maxpedition/etc.) but this one just suits my needs so perfectly that I've always stuck with it. Actually, I've found that I like Oakley packs and winter wear much better than I do their shades these days.

J0FAYCj.jpg

The cell phone case in the pic above is not part of the pack, but just attached to a velcro area. Fits perfectly though.

The back on the inside is also velcro lined (the organizers are from other brands)

P7cXqOj.jpg

House key stays on the strap with a Key-bak, so it's always in reach when I need it

ghQ3yU0.jpg

Late to the party but I’ll throw in a suggestion. GoRuck. Expensive but they have sales all the time.

Maxpedition makes very good backpacks, various sizes and designs, some are more tactical looking and others are more casual. Timbuk2 makes excellent backpacks, some models can be customized.

I love all my maxpedition bags, I have 3. For a sling pack, the noatak gearslinger is good for edc. Not too large where you overload it ya know. My next size up is my pygmy falcon2. Probably my favorite of the three, its good for overnight stuff or edc. Last is my big pack- -vulture2 ,good for 3 days of stuff. All bags will last for evvvver. Build quality is outstanding. Seriously my oldest is 10 yrs old and looks brand new!

I am about to pick up a recycled firefighter 12 hour pack

They look great and have bright contrasting liners so items are easier to see

A lot depends on how much gear you want to carry. I have a Maxpedition Remora, and love it. Its a little on the heavy side though, for the amount of gear it carries, which is't huge. In fact I mainly just use it for my first aid kit, although I could easily fit more stuff in there, which I do when I need to.

I’m looking to get a new EDC pack and am looking for suggestions. Mainly office use, though I would take it with me for when I travel. I currently use a 5.11 sling pack and like the concept but don’t like to execution. The pockets really aren’t accessible when the pack is on.

I’ve been looking at the Maxpedition Kodiak Gearslinger and it seems like a good choice. Does anyone have other suggestions? I am no opposed to a more traditional 2 strap back, though I like the quick accessibility of the 1 strap bags.

I use a couple sling packs for different things, including travel. When you say the pockets aren't accessible when on, what do you mean? The accessibility is when you rotate the entire thing around your body, basically turning it into a purse, getting what you need, then rotating it back into position. The super cheap kid's versions that are shaped like a triangle, IMO, are actually functionally better for accessiblity and comfort (if they adjust large enough to fit you)... although maybe not durable enough to throw down a mountain... and the capacity is minimalist.

My favorite was an inexpensive (read cheap kid's version) on clearance I picked up at TJ Maxx or Marshall's for $10 without all the Molle. However, my current one has Molle that I use to attach a watter bottle pouch (requisitioned from my get home bag when I changed for a larger pouch). That, too is an inexpensive one from Amazon that works well for my needs.

I have been using the Remote Equipment Alpha 31 since the kickstarter campaign several years ago. I wasn't a fan of roll top packs, but this one has a front entry as well, making it ideal for travelling. The roll top allows it to expand to 31 L capacity, so you can flex for daily carry, up to a weekend travel bag.

Unfortunately, finding one is near impossible, but RE will be making a V2 later this year, expected to be better than the first!

Seems like this thread has kinda died off, but I thought I’d throw a couple suggestions in.
I like Kelty packs, in general. They aren’t the most high end, but they are fairly light for their size. The newer ones I’m not positive about, though, I guess. All of mine are over 5 years old.
I have a T. H. E. Pack that is about bulletproof. But it’s heavy.
A friend had a nice military style camelback. He seemed to like that one a lot. And it never let him down. Expensive, though, unless you can find one used.

I like my Vertx commuter sling for daily, the front pocket has molle and middle an back compartments are velcro lined. Also have Gamut 2.0 for longer trips.

You can pick up an Osprey Flare over at their website for $63.50 right now.

Osprey makes one heck of a pack, and this is no exception. Laptop sleeve, water bottle holders, plenty of organization, and in a carry-on size for travel.

Give an Osprey pack a shot. I'll bet you end up getting another one down the road, but if you don't, the Flare will last you a lifetime probably.

Back