EDC Buck 110 in Pomona, CA?

Hello all, I have been considering going down to Pomona for college and have been carrying a buck 110 everyday for the last 2 years. I plan on continuing to carry it while at college. Although it is illegal to carry it on campus, I plan on carrying it off campus. I attempted looking into the knife laws but they are very confusing. Can anyone tell me if a linerlock folder with a 3.75 inch blade is legal to carry in Pomona, CA? What about the rest of LA County?

California differs by county so be sure to look into that.

Most folders despite size and length are legal.

I work alot in Pomona, and as long as you aren't a complete idiot and do anything illegal with it you'll be fine. I usually carry a small folder for work and the cops don't care. It's the wannabes with switch blades that they're out for.

You said Pomona so I'm assuming Cal Poly. At all California State Universities you CAN have a pocket knife, as long as the blade is not more than 2 1/2 inches long, it does not open automatically and has only one sharp edge. Outside of school, you can carry any length knife you desire.
Los Angeles County does not have blade length restriction on folders so you are perfectly legal carrying that outside of your college campus.

My best advice would be to carry a non-threathing swiss army knife with a blade under 2.5 inches to class and switch to the buck once you get off-campus. But in reality, the chance of you getting into trouble for carrying your buck 110 to school is very slim, just don't go around brandishing it or causing trouble and you will be fine.

There is no law in the California penal code that regulates the carrying or possession of folding knives of any size on college campuses. There is however a statute in the CA penal code (626.10-b) that makes it illegal to carry a fixed-blade with a blade longer than 2 1/2" on college campuses. And there are statutes restricting the carrying of folding knives on school grounds K-12 (no blades longer than 2 1/2").

There are exceptions to the limitations on fixed-blade size on college campuses (626.10-e). Like if you have the fixed-blade in your on-campus residence for lawful use such as food prep, then there is no blade length limit. There are other exceptions as well.

Of course any university can impose their own restrictions regarding what you can carry or posses on their campus. But those restrictions are not "laws", and violating such restrictions cannot result in arrest or criminal charges, only university punishment such as expulsion, etc.

In short, there is nothing "illegal" about carrying and possessing a Buck 110 on a college campus in California, but it might violate university rules.

To read all California state knife laws, I recommend that people go to the official California legislature website www.leginfo.legislature.ca.gov, click on "California Law" (under the banner), then click the "Text Search" box (center-left of screen next to "Code Search"), then enter the word "knife" (or knife related terms that apply to your interests) into the search box, click the little box next to "Penal Code" (bottom of center column) then click "search". To read the California state knife laws pertaining to schools and universities, enter "knife" and "school" into the search boxes. Searching for other terms like "dirk" or "dagger" will show other laws.

Last edited:
If I'm not working, I try to keep all knives under 3 inches with no assisted opening. I just got the Ka bar Dozier so I wouldn't rustle any feathers (I have lots of visible tattoos though). Like Beast87 said if it's not a switchblade and you're not acting sketchy the cops are pretty lenient.

If I'm not working, I try to keep all knives under 3 inches with no assisted opening. I just got the Ka bar Dozier so I wouldn't rustle any feathers (I have lots of visible tattoos though). Like Beast87 said if it's not a switchblade and you're not acting sketchy the cops are pretty lenient.
The Dozier is a fine beater knife. I have bought and gave away countless Doziers. There inexpensive and very reliable. Don't count the Dozier as a cheap knife. It just doesn't cost much. But very much not a cheap knife. I think you will grow fond of them.

Back