Recommendation? EDC Carry Knife

Hey. I've been looking all over the internet for a good, EDC carry knife. I live in CT, where the law states that I can carry a knife as long as it doesn't break these rules. I can't have a balisong, automatic, or switch blade knife that excedes 1.5 inches. However, I can have a knife that is spring assisted, folding, or fixed blade as long as it doesn't excede 4 inches. The law does state however, that you can have a knife (doesn't state specifically which kind) that excedes 4 inches, as long as you are: transporting it, something with the military, or going to use it for hunting. I am going to start hunting soon, and just want a general purpose EDC knife. I want it to be good for three things (ranging from most to least important): Self-defense, easily concealable / not noticed easily, and basic "wilderness general purpose" (that's my own term. What I mean by that is it's also good for general camping / hunting uses). I'm not looking for some crappy ass one, even if I have to drop some good money on it, I want to get a high-quality, built-to-last kind of knife. Once again: Self-defense, concealable, and general purpose for the wilderness / hunting. Oh, last thing. I honestly can't help it, but a major selling point for me is if the knife looks beautiful / not ugly as shit. Thanks!

With the concealable thing, I know that's on my end too. It doesn't have to be small as shit, it can be huge, I just want it where if I were getting ready to go hunting and went somewhere first to grab something like a bite to eat, I don't want someone freaking out cause they see the knife sticking out of my pocket.

Your requirements are pretty vague and very specific at the same time. Easily concealable does not translate in easy to access for self defense. Good for hunting and camp use is somewhat in conflict to a defense knife design.

So given this, have you seen anything you like so far?

You can't use the hunting exception as a loophole for carrying a knife you're normally not supposed to.
If you want a knife for hunting I'd go with the classic Buck 119 special, if it's on your belt when you stop to get a bite before you go hunting you'll probably be wearing hunting cloths so I doubt anyone would freak out.
It's a great Classic, and beautiful built to last with Bucks famous forever warranty. When you buy a Buck knife you're also joining their family and they'll treat you right if you ever have an issue.

If you want a knife for EDC and self defense, it won't be good for hunting / camp duty so you'll likely need to get 2 knives.
Luckily the Buck 119 is under 60$ ( normally about 50$ ) so you could probably afford to also get something else for the " tactical " EDC role.

Last edited:
One that's not talked about alot is the Benchmade diamondwood north fork. Beautiful knife. Very tough! Axis lock. Awesome awesome knife! Runs about a buck forty or so. Not so much for hunting but the Benchmade foray is killer. Around $200, beautiful strong strong knife. 20cv steel, can't go wrong. Hope this helps a bit

Kershaw Link. My EDC here in corrupt California. Nice affordable knife.
Also, check out the Protech TR-5 Spring assist..awesome knife for around $200.
Love mine :)

My first choice will always be a sebenza 21. First recommendation always! But you kinda threw me for a loop wanting edc, self defence, hunting all in one. That's out there for sure. But multiple knives is always a beautiful thing brotha. Something to keep in mind

Do you prefer a folder or fixed blade? I spent a lot of years loving on larger fixed blades... but the simple truth is that a smaller blade is better for general, EDC type use. Like with folders, I find 3.5-3.75" to be sort of a sweet spot; but I'll carry fixed blades ranging from the LT Wright Patriot to the BRKT Fox River LT. If I'm going to be spending time in the woods, I like to also bring something larger.
Be careful with your self defense thoughts. It's hard to go back to claims that your knife is a tool once you say it's for self defense... that makes it a weapon, and it would then likely be considered to fall under that poorly defined "dangerous knife" heading.

If you want recommendations, telling us features you like will help us tailor our suggestions. Failing that, you will get a wide range of posts that are basically people telling you what THEY like, without concern for whether it's what you are looking for.

Gotta go ZT 0620.

Generally i'm not a fan of knives with the wave opening because i think knives shouldn't be used as weapons.

But since you do and this knife fits your needs very well.

ZT knives are build very well, the'll probably outlast thier owners lol. In my case atleast.

So yea, ZT 0620 has it all for you.

3.7" blade.
Made to be a weapon first tool second.
Still very good as a tool.
Build solid.
Look pretty good.

Do you have a budget you are working with?

+1 on the buck 119 for a great general hunting knife. Have had mine since the early 90s and its awesome.... But not an EDC.

Honestly, my favorite EDC is my Swiss army spartan. Legal everywhere. Super useful. Easy to carry.

Depending on budget, if your looking for a more knifey folder, look at rat 1, buck vantage pro, spyderco has a bunch of offerings.

Thirds on the Buck 119
Pair it with a Spyderco Delica or PM2

Both can be had for a very reasonable price, and covers your bases.

I'm in CT also. First off a couple things. Our 4" law is for the sharpened edge. I'll often carry a fully serrated Spyderco Police with a 3.92" edge, but over 4" scale to tip length.

Second, balis are 100% legal to carry. Have been since the laws changed in the late 90's.

For a knife with SD in mind I'll carry a Spyderco waved Matriarch 2, a fixed Karambit, or a waved Emerson.

For general everday use either my Spyderco Military or Emerson Mini CQC 15.

I don't hunt but I do camp and hike. For that I carry a Fallkniven F1.

Good luck on your search for your knife.

Be careful with your self defense thoughts. It's hard to go back to claims that your knife is a tool once you say it's for self defense... that makes it a weapon, and it would then likely be considered to fall under that poorly defined "dangerous knife" heading.

I don't want to turn this into a legal discussion, but the OP doesn't have to worry about that.

Per case law any legal knife cannot be considered by LEO a "deadly or dangerous weapon".

That's about the only thing our State did right with our knife laws.

I see this a lot, people searching for one blade to hunt, fish, camp, food prep, self defense, edc etc. One blade can do it all, but how good?
Decide on a budget, then decide on fixed or folder. I would do Fixed for hunting and folder for edc.

I feel like some Charlie Mike knives would definitely be able to handle all 3 jobs (EDC, hunting / camp, personal defense).

Hey. I've been looking all over the internet for a good, EDC carry knife. I live in CT, where the law states that I can carry a knife as long as it doesn't break these rules. I can't have a balisong, automatic, or switch blade knife that excedes 1.5 inches. However, I can have a knife that is spring assisted, folding, or fixed blade as long as it doesn't excede 4 inches. The law does state however, that you can have a knife (doesn't state specifically which kind) that excedes 4 inches, as long as you are: transporting it, something with the military, or going to use it for hunting. I am going to start hunting soon, and just want a general purpose EDC knife. I want it to be good for three things (ranging from most to least important): Self-defense, easily concealable / not noticed easily, and basic "wilderness general purpose" (that's my own term. What I mean by that is it's also good for general camping / hunting uses). I'm not looking for some crappy ass one, even if I have to drop some good money on it, I want to get a high-quality, built-to-last kind of knife. Once again: Self-defense, concealable, and general purpose for the wilderness / hunting. Oh, last thing. I honestly can't help it, but a major selling point for me is if the knife looks beautiful / not ugly as shit. Thanks!
Cold Steel SR1. Unlike every other folder out there (not designed by Andy Demko) you can beat on it like a fixed blade.

CRK Umnumzaan , it checks off all the items on your list. Not the cheapest option, but one of my favorites.

I usually carry a CQC-7 for a rough user , but its not gonna check the box in the beauty department, but then again its all in the eye of the beholder. Take a look at Emerson's other models and see if one speaks to you.

OP - without a budget limit, you will get a wide range of recommendations, e.g., $30 RAT 1 vs $400+ CRK Zaan, as has been mentioned.

Instead of having one knife doing all, how about two knives?

Back