EDC Convex and a couple others...

rpn

Gold Member
A few photos and thoughts. I actually thought I was going out for a good test and hike, but the skeeters weren't impressed with the amount of OFF I doused myself with. They ate me up! Anyhoo...here we have the Mud Puppy, Koyote EDC Convex and Izula 2...along with my lovely assistant- the Camp Tramp!

IMG_3295.jpg

I rushed through some stake making, notching cross-batonning and batonning...

IMG_3296.jpg

IMG_3297.jpg

Tough and well made all! That was some hard wood folks and the MP hit a knot and I beat the heck out of it with zero problem. It's the big- little knife of this group. They all cut very well, but the Koyote is the real gem as a small woods knife. Goes through wood like nothing and the ergos are awesome. I've used it a lot and my hand never gets tired or finds hot spots. The Izula 2 is the smallest of the group and works big.

Tip strength? They got it!

IMG_3298.jpg

A size comparison with a folder I'm enjoying a lot- the Ritter Griptilian.

IMG_3299.jpg

A little steak cutting here and again the Koyote takes it and the MP is a step behind. A Horn Dog sharpening job did give it an "edge" :foot: over the izula. :)

IMG_3302.jpg

The Mud Puppy brings out an angry part of me...I just want to beat the thing like I'm mad at it! Like I said, it's the big-little knife of this group and screams beat me/use me. It's seems like the type of knife you want at work for the dirty/hard jobs. Or sitting in a bug out bag, because this knife will take care of you! The EDC Convex is just a sweet, sweet all around knife that does it all so well and treats your hand great. It's simply one of my favorite knives in any size. I haven't used the Izula 2 much but I carried a 1 all last summer. This little guy works bigger than it should. Comfy, good ergos and so easy to carry- what's not to like?! I did roll the edges on the izula 1 a few times, but nothing crazy and I was using it pretty hard.

I constantly am coming back to your EDC in particular, the handle on that one is something I need to stay focussed on. There's a tendency to visually balance out the blade/handle ratios whgen not needed

To me, it's just perfection in knife making. It's just that good.

If you need it to measure/study/whatever- I'd be happy to mail it off for you.

nope, I just do it like I always do- look at the file photos I have when I'm working on them :D

Hi rpn
I´m thinking to get one Mud Puppy and have soem questions
Are they good slicers?
what kind of second edge they have, convex flat?
I hate prybar knives and I´looking for one tough+stainless+slicer+wood bushcraft cutter one, do you think MP is a great option?
thanks

Facablade:

I'm working on getting more blue in :)

I'm also working on more of the great basin models, one sold, but two haven't.

MY wife is working now so I'm sorting out my schedule. But it's looking like I'll get plenty of shop time in still

Hi rpn
I´m thinking to get one Mud Puppy and have soem questions
Are they good slicers?
what kind of second edge they have, convex flat?
I hate prybar knives and I´looking for one tough+stainless+slicer+wood bushcraft cutter one, do you think MP is a great option?
thanks

To me, the EDC Convex is better in all the areas you mentioned. The Mud Puppy is a mini-prybar in some ways...it's a thick blade and takes a beating! It got convexed by Horn Dog and it's a better slicer now, but is to me a wonderful beater, BOB knife..or if I had an outdoor work job where I needed to mistreat a knife...it's a great candidate too...I really like the 154 cpm from the Yard...tough and holds a great edge like nobody's business...maybe the weiner dog is more what you are looking for? I love that knife about as much as my EDC Convex...very different and capable knife...great allrounder...hmmmthink I'm just rambling....sorry, on vaca and hungover a tad! :foot::eek:;);):D

Back