Edc hard use knives used hard

https://imgur.com/gallery/cbSOYCf
S30v performs well,and when you use a knife hard the edge will either dull or get damaged, so I prefer to have a less premium steel that is easier to sharpen on my real users

With regard to users i like 154cm, s30v, 14c27 and s35vn to be excellent steels

Honorable mention to M4 and the 4116 used by cold steel. This last one is really not a good steel for edge retention but you can beat on it as it sharpens very easily

I prefer to have s110v, m390, 20cv... on my edc where is use is softer

Plaster and insulation. You madman.
How does the S30V hold up to that?

The s30v was great
Because it hit metal or very hard parts often during the works I had to do frequent sharpening
With s30v this has been easy

The other properties of the steel - like corrosion, toughness , flexibility - have been great too

Last year I had some works to do in my house and I decided to take this opportunity to abuse one of my knife and get some understanding of how much a basic design and steel can take.

I ear so many people talking about hard use and so on ...

My conclusions are:
- The stop pin is more important than the locking mechanism for the durability of your knife
- Ease to sharpen and toughness are more important than corrosion resistance and edge retention
- you don’t need huge liners or titanium everywhere, a good construction with good screws can me more the enough
- it is important to re-evaluate our understanding/perception of super steel - when you use your knife you don’t required fancy names just a trustable performer :)

The s30v was great
Because it hit metal or very hard parts often during the works I had to do frequent sharpening
With s30v this has been easy

The other properties of the steel - like corrosion, toughness , flexibility - have been great too

Last year I had some works to do in my house and I decided to take this opportunity to abuse one of my knife and get some understanding of how much a basic design and steel can take.

I ear so many people talking about hard use and so on ...

My conclusions are:
- The stop pin is more important than the locking mechanism for the durability of your knife
- Ease to sharpen and toughness are more important than corrosion resistance and edge retention
- you don’t need huge liners or titanium everywhere, a good construction with good screws can me more the enough
- it is important to re-evaluate our understanding/perception of super steel - when you use your knife you don’t required fancy names just a trustable performer :)
Very good points.
I ask because in my job I run in to a lot of the things you pictured, but I haven't put any of my s30 blades through plaster or insulation yet, for whatever reason.

My conclusions are:
My translation:
(Both are M4)
883o.jpg

I find good steel gets dull but still cuts the sharp edge will lay over break become not as sharp but still keep working even with a beaten battered edge.
Cheap 440 steel is super easy to sharpen but so is everything on the work sharp. 440 will pretty much just go to sleep on the job.

I put my knife through alot and often isnt the correct tool for the job but it's the tool always in my pocket so I'll gladly beat the crud out of it.

Deburring cutting prieng scraping crud off machines pericing metal lines knawing through hydraulic hose scraping paint to create a ground for my welder. Knocking slag of a bead so I can start another weld on it. It's not the correct tool for any of the listed jobs but itl get it done.
Wish I could post a photo. I've got this zt ragged out looking in just 2 months..
The grippy scales have already become smooth. My version of the BW I laughed when I finally figured out what 0350BW was. You gota be kidding me :) like buying ripped jeans

I'll agree hardware helps alot. My 940 was getting loose. I think this zt0350 will stay tighter longer. I think the 940 though a sweet knife just isn't up to hard use like this 0350.

The spyderco is a sweet knife to just wish the blade wasnt so thin and pointy. I really like length of handle just the buisness end isnt up to the task I ask of my knives

Keep the replies coming.

Any one abused any lion steel stuff?

My translation:
(Both are M4)
883o.jpg
After the s30v PM2 I am now trying a GB2 with m4 and a cold steel prolite
m4 is impressive and the price point of the GB2 is “acceptable”
Not impressed by th steel on the prolite but the ethos are good and the steel is easy to touch up

QUOTE="EvanR03, post: 19070998, member: 519542"]
2geRoa9

No offense to the office guys with soft hands, this thread is for working knives and men with hard hands who use knives as tools.​
Evan,
I enjoyed your comment and the comments of your other readers. I especially liked the "soft hands" comment. As I am an older guy, and a little impetuous, I can't help myself. Please forgive me for making one small comment. .. Oh, never mind. Got control of myself just in time.

I'll postcard pic later.
I have a Z-Wear shoo kiridashi. 0.25 thick.
Gets used to deburr kydex, cut an occasional brass rivet, and pry rivets. It mostly gets used for cutting blue tape for sheathmaking. But it gets thrown around the shop, beaten and abused. Only been sharpened twice. When I first made it, and last week. I made it almost 2 years ago.

Not too bad for a knife that's 63HRC!

I see tons of knife reviews and it seems few reviewers actually using knives.
I love seeing comments here of guys abusing knives actually using them.
A knife is not a prybar hammer file alignment tool welding jig deburrer or countless other things but it can sure play a role as a do all pocket tool. Kinda like a crescent wrench. If it can do alot if these other jobs and still cut rope paper boxes plastic skin horse hooves then it's a pretty darn good tool.
Even some of the softer blades can play this role they just dont play it aswell but dont cost as much either

Therom
The Gayle Bradley looks like a sweet knife looking forward to how you like it. Specially the m4
I have not seen one in person

working knives and men with hard hands who use knives as tools
2geRoa9

Spyderco in my hands tends to lose the tip fairly fast. I no longer by thin blades tipped knives
S30-s90v steel works well for deburring pipe cutting cans for shims and clearing grease zeros of dirt and rocks.

I loved for the s90v it would hold and edge deburring pipe for welding fit up.

Though I've never made a habbit of having more than one decent knife at a time this knife has helped show me what I like,
working knives and men with hard hands who use knives as tools.......:rolleyes: I've heard it all now.
If you worked for me and I saw you abusing tools, you would be out the door. A worker who uses tools and doesn't know how to use them. That's sad.
Here's your lesson of the day.................... "knives cut and slice period".
Nothing wrong with working a knife but learn how to use your tools, in other words work smart then maybe you could have a decent knife.

Abuse and use are not the same thing.

imho (and no offence intended), but if you're using a folder for hard use, you're doing it wrong ; )
... a fixed blade is the tool you want

here is mine (tough 14c28n steel, 4 & 1/3" blade, and is priced very low so you won't mind losing it or using it hard)

timthumb.php

Some folders are tougher than others but no folder is going to be my first choice for "hard use". This becomes obvious once you've used both in situations where you have to do a lot of cutting on the move. I worked mornings in a warehouse way back in my youth. We were actually issued cheap fixed blades with equally cheap belt holsters. It was very convenient. Camping and doing other things later in life with a folder, I quickly missed the utility.

This particular knife is wonderful for the price. I haven't had it long but so far so good. The handle is very comfortable. The blade is nice. I'm used to 14C28N in much smaller knives where it has performed admirably. I'll be curious to get more outdoor use with this one. The sheath is also nice for the price, which is a big deal.

Therom
The Gayle Bradley looks like a sweet knife looking forward to how you like it. Specially the m4
I have not seen one in person
I am using the GB2 for one year and it does very well.
I have modified the access to the lock bar with a dremmel to make unlocking the knife easier.
But at the moment it is the best offering from spyderco to test M4.
It can be found for 60-80$ less than the other M4 knives from Spyderco.
I don't like the pelliply CF but it is more a question of looks than function.
The Blade quickly gets patina which is good for a user
It is a good use knife.

Last edited:
imho (and no offence intended), but if you're using a folder for hard use, you're doing it wrong ; )
... a fixed blade is the tool you want

here is mine (tough 14c28n steel, 4 & 1/3" blade, and is priced very low so you won't mind losing it or using it hard)

timthumb.php
I am agree with this.That is pure common sense (in the most positive way).
There is a lot of hard use - premium steel hype in the community audit is sometime funny to think that some people praise ball bearing and nice material claiming it is great for hard use.

When it come to hard use IMO a good fixed blade and a carbon steel is one of the best go to solution

mine is stainless, but the 12c27 / 13c26 / aeb-l / and even 14c28n are the few stainless steels that are as tough, or tougher than simple carbon steels

Therom Therom post your gb2 mod pics please? I have one also but so far have not modded it, despite it being something like 9 on strength req'd to unlock it

Last edited:
The thread topic sounds like a)something that would be mocked in a Cedric Ada video b) the premise for an “all male production” by a certain type of website

You can use knives pretty hard even if they’re not your EDC/use them at work...I work in an office buy I use my Cutjack D2 and Salt 2 extensively around my yard/house, both have been beaten to crap and still going strong.

I like all replies . Even the ones that say I use my knife incorrectly.
My knife is cheap in comparison to the rest of my every day tools. I am aware that I will wear out or break it at any point and will gladly get another one maybe a different one. That I feel might work better. I dont have many knives I dont collect them I use them break the wear them out say good bye then get another.
It's a good thing I'm my own boss and dont have to worry about being fired.

There are lots of mind sets on this subject i like them all. Tools become better because of those of us who use them. Nothing is ever perfect it can always become more than it was and evolve. The knife world does just that. Continually evolving

Back