1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Edc hard use knives used hard

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by EvanR03, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Plaster and insulation. You madman.
    How does the S30V hold up to that?

Therom likes this.
  2. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    The s30v was great
    Because it hit metal or very hard parts often during the works I had to do frequent sharpening
    With s30v this has been easy

The other properties of the steel - like corrosion, toughness , flexibility - have been great too

Last year I had some works to do in my house and I decided to take this opportunity to abuse one of my knife and get some understanding of how much a basic design and steel can take.

I ear so many people talking about hard use and so on ...

My conclusions are:
    - The stop pin is more important than the locking mechanism for the durability of your knife
    - Ease to sharpen and toughness are more important than corrosion resistance and edge retention
    - you don’t need huge liners or titanium everywhere, a good construction with good screws can me more the enough
    - it is important to re-evaluate our understanding/perception of super steel - when you use your knife you don’t required fancy names just a trustable performer :)

3. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Very good points.
    I ask because in my job I run in to a lot of the things you pictured, but I haven't put any of my s30 blades through plaster or insulation yet, for whatever reason.

4. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    My translation:
    (Both are M4)
    [​IMG]

Darkpast and Therom like this.
  5. EvanR03

EvanR03

Jun 15, 2019
    I find good steel gets dull but still cuts the sharp edge will lay over break become not as sharp but still keep working even with a beaten battered edge.
    Cheap 440 steel is super easy to sharpen but so is everything on the work sharp. 440 will pretty much just go to sleep on the job.

I put my knife through alot and often isnt the correct tool for the job but it's the tool always in my pocket so I'll gladly beat the crud out of it.

Deburring cutting prieng scraping crud off machines pericing metal lines knawing through hydraulic hose scraping paint to create a ground for my welder. Knocking slag of a bead so I can start another weld on it. It's not the correct tool for any of the listed jobs but itl get it done.
    Wish I could post a photo. I've got this zt ragged out looking in just 2 months..
    The grippy scales have already become smooth. My version of the BW I laughed when I finally figured out what 0350BW was. You gota be kidding me :) like buying ripped jeans

I'll agree hardware helps alot. My 940 was getting loose. I think this zt0350 will stay tighter longer. I think the 940 though a sweet knife just isn't up to hard use like this 0350.

The spyderco is a sweet knife to just wish the blade wasnt so thin and pointy. I really like length of handle just the buisness end isnt up to the task I ask of my knives

Keep the replies coming.

Any one abused any lion steel stuff?

6. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    After the s30v PM2 I am now trying a GB2 with m4 and a cold steel prolite
    m4 is impressive and the price point of the GB2 is “acceptable”
    Not impressed by th steel on the prolite but the ethos are good and the steel is easy to touch up

Darkpast and EvanR03 like this.
  7. GabbyH

GabbyH Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 6, 2019
    QUOTE="EvanR03, post: 19070998, member: 519542"]
    [​IMG]
    No offense to the office guys with soft hands, this thread is for working knives and men with hard hands who use knives as tools.​
    Evan,
    I enjoyed your comment and the comments of your other readers. I especially liked the "soft hands" comment. As I am an older guy, and a little impetuous, I can't help myself. Please forgive me for making one small comment. .. Oh, never mind. Got control of myself just in time.

EvanR03 likes this.
  8. ShannonSteelLabs

ShannonSteelLabs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 9, 2015
    I'll postcard pic later.
    I have a Z-Wear shoo kiridashi. 0.25 thick.
    Gets used to deburr kydex, cut an occasional brass rivet, and pry rivets. It mostly gets used for cutting blue tape for sheathmaking. But it gets thrown around the shop, beaten and abused. Only been sharpened twice. When I first made it, and last week. I made it almost 2 years ago.

Not too bad for a knife that's 63HRC!

9. EvanR03

EvanR03

Jun 15, 2019
    I see tons of knife reviews and it seems few reviewers actually using knives.
    I love seeing comments here of guys abusing knives actually using them.
    A knife is not a prybar hammer file alignment tool welding jig deburrer or countless other things but it can sure play a role as a do all pocket tool. Kinda like a crescent wrench. If it can do alot if these other jobs and still cut rope paper boxes plastic skin horse hooves then it's a pretty darn good tool.
    Even some of the softer blades can play this role they just dont play it aswell but dont cost as much either

cwsmith17 likes this.
  10. EvanR03

EvanR03

Jun 15, 2019
    Therom
    The Gayle Bradley looks like a sweet knife looking forward to how you like it. Specially the m4
    I have not seen one in person

Therom likes this.
  11. Dean51

Dean51 Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2014
    working knives and men with hard hands who use knives as tools.......:rolleyes: I've heard it all now.
    If you worked for me and I saw you abusing tools, you would be out the door. A worker who uses tools and doesn't know how to use them. That's sad.
    Here's your lesson of the day.................... "knives cut and slice period".
    Nothing wrong with working a knife but learn how to use your tools, in other words work smart then maybe you could have a decent knife.

Abuse and use are not the same thing.

12. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    A lot of guy on here have soft hands but tough index finger pads from flipping their ZTs at their desks!

13. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    Some folders are tougher than others but no folder is going to be my first choice for "hard use". This becomes obvious once you've used both in situations where you have to do a lot of cutting on the move. I worked mornings in a warehouse way back in my youth. We were actually issued cheap fixed blades with equally cheap belt holsters. It was very convenient. Camping and doing other things later in life with a folder, I quickly missed the utility.

This particular knife is wonderful for the price. I haven't had it long but so far so good. The handle is very comfortable. The blade is nice. I'm used to 14C28N in much smaller knives where it has performed admirably. I'll be curious to get more outdoor use with this one. The sheath is also nice for the price, which is a big deal.

dirc likes this.
  14. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    I am using the GB2 for one year and it does very well.
    I have modified the access to the lock bar with a dremmel to make unlocking the knife easier.
    But at the moment it is the best offering from spyderco to test M4.
    It can be found for 60-80$ less than the other M4 knives from Spyderco.
    I don't like the pelliply CF but it is more a question of looks than function.
    The Blade quickly gets patina which is good for a user
    It is a good use knife.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    dirc likes this.
  15. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    I am agree with this.That is pure common sense (in the most positive way).
    There is a lot of hard use - premium steel hype in the community audit is sometime funny to think that some people praise ball bearing and nice material claiming it is great for hard use.

When it come to hard use IMO a good fixed blade and a carbon steel is one of the best go to solution

Grateful likes this.
  16. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    mine is stainless, but the 12c27 / 13c26 / aeb-l / and even 14c28n are the few stainless steels that are as tough, or tougher than simple carbon steels

@Therom post your gb2 mod pics please? I have one also but so far have not modded it, despite it being something like 9 on strength req'd to unlock it

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    hugofeynman likes this.
  17. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    The thread topic sounds like a)something that would be mocked in a Cedric Ada video b) the premise for an “all male production” by a certain type of website

You can use knives pretty hard even if they’re not your EDC/use them at work...I work in an office buy I use my Cutjack D2 and Salt 2 extensively around my yard/house, both have been beaten to crap and still going strong.

cwsmith17, James Y, ArchVV and 2 others like this.
  18. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    A lady construction worker. With nice hands. :)

Darkpast likes this.
  19. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    :rolleyes: ok

20. EvanR03

EvanR03

Jun 15, 2019
    I like all replies . Even the ones that say I use my knife incorrectly.
    My knife is cheap in comparison to the rest of my every day tools. I am aware that I will wear out or break it at any point and will gladly get another one maybe a different one. That I feel might work better. I dont have many knives I dont collect them I use them break the wear them out say good bye then get another.
    It's a good thing I'm my own boss and dont have to worry about being fired.

There are lots of mind sets on this subject i like them all. Tools become better because of those of us who use them. Nothing is ever perfect it can always become more than it was and evolve. The knife world does just that. Continually evolving

insta9ves likes this.