Edc hard use knives used hard

I'd say this one was a "hard use" knife. I carried, (and used) this Uncle Henry every single day for over 30 years. I bought it in a truck stop in 1970 & it was the first knife that I paid over $20 for. I'd probably still carry it, but the main clip blade has been sharpened so often that the tip rides above the liners & handle when closed.
IMG_0708-X3.jpg

I'd say this one was a "hard use" knife. I carried, (and used) this Uncle Henry every single day for over 30 years. I bought it in a truck stop in 1970 & it was the first knife that I paid over $20 for. I'd probably still carry it, but the main clip blade has been sharpened so often that the tip rides above the liners & handle when closed.
IMG_0708-X3.jpg

That's an easy fix. Just take a small file and take the kick down a bit. Go slow, just a few strokes of the file and check, then a few more. File off just enough that the tip goes down even with the frame. Be very carful.

Spyderco plain-edge Rescue. Its been going to work with me every day for over a decade. I'm a commercial/industrial electrician. This is the best work knife I've ever had. It has cut wood, plastic, sheet rock, aluminum, rope, string, mule tape, stripped wire, opened splices, turned screws. It has lived a hard life. Its ATS-55. I would love to have this knife in a better steel.
I would love for this to be available again. The sheepsfoot is, IMHO, the best blade shape for a hard use work knife.
One nice thing about sheeps and wharnies is that if you break the tip, its really easy to regrind. This one is a bit shorter than when it was new.

That's an easy fix. Just take a small file and take the kick down a bit. Go slow, just a few strokes of the file and check, then a few more. File off just enough that the tip goes down even with the frame. Be very carful.

I know, but I've gotten "a few" knives since I retired this one, so it's been relegated to the heirlooms box.:)

https://imgur.com/gallery/cbSOYCf
S30v performs well,and when you use a knife hard the edge will either dull or get damaged, so I prefer to have a less premium steel that is easier to sharpen on my real users

With regard to users i like 154cm, s30v, 14c27 and s35vn to be excellent steels

Honorable mention to M4 and the 4116 used by cold steel. This last one is really not a good steel for edge retention but you can beat on it as it sharpens very easily

I prefer to have s110v, m390, 20cv... on my edc where is use is softer

I'm still getting used to my first 4116 knife from ColdSteel (a Pendelton Lite-Hunter)
I was rather unimpressed with the factory edge (it was rolled over from the box) but an hour spent with a Lansky and a hard Arkansas stone made it "acceptable", I guess I was spoiled by my last Cold Steel Knife, a master Hunter I had 30 years ago with a Carbon-V blade, that was far easier to sharpen. I haven't used the Pendelton much, but I've only had it a month.
I also spent some sharpening time with my New Master Hunter, it has a SanMai laminate blade, and as I understand it the newer SM3 blades have a stainless core, I was under the impression the old SM3 blades had a carbon steel core.

The one thing I remember very clearly is cutting anything with a Carbon-V blade was an experience, because the blade would turn funny colors at a look.

The Kershaw Blackout has just about seen it all on the job sites over the last 15 years. The blade coating has held up exceedingly well.
The Cold Steel AD10 is the new comer. It’s fighting it out with the 4MAX right now for new, big folder. Will be used mostly for landscaping duties.
ovaCV9U.jpg

I sit in an office all day, and while I may not have overly calloused hands, they are by no means soft and girly. The have scares, scraped knuckles, and even a crooked finger from a bad break. I work my hands, and tools, hard in my free time. With the exception of one or two knives, I don't baby any of them - they weren't purchased as trophies or man jewelry (if that's your thing, great, just not mine).

CRKT Stiff K.I.S.S. I picked up from @sabre cat on the PIF thread (figuered he'd like to see it getting used). Used it over the weekend to help remove weatherstripping from an old screen door I'm replacing on my porch. The chisel grind and flat back side of it actually worked better than a razor blade scraper.
ZFrU0LB.jpg

My backyard and camping duo. Gerber gets a bad rap (partially deserved, admittedy) but these two have been work horses both in the yard, and in the woods. Think I might have to grind the tip of that Crucial down to a clip or drop point sometime soon, just to make it easier to pierce things with. Thou usually I also have a proper folder on me as well.
sZfDck5.jpg

The Kershaw Blackout has just about seen it all on the job sites over the last 15 years. The blade coating has held up exceedingly well.
The Cold Steel AD10 is the new comer. It’s fighting it out with the 4MAX right now for new, big folder. Will be used mostly for landscaping duties.
ovaCV9U.jpg

The Blackout makes a great work knife. Scales work really well wet, greasy, dirty, or in any other condition, and also work great in gloves. Mine has been through Hell and back, but developed blade wobble and a suspect lock after my wife ran it through the tumble cycle in the wash (she always neglects to check pockets). Now it rides in the tool bag in the back of the truck. But I think yours might have seen a harder life :eek:

KSSqjNz.jpg

imho (and no offence intended), but if you're using a folder for hard use, you're doing it wrong ; )
... a fixed blade is the tool you want

here is mine (tough 14c28n steel, 4 & 1/3" blade, and is priced very low so you won't mind losing it or using it hard)

timthumb.php
I have one of these an love it. Just got one for my father for Father's Day because he loves it too. One of the best deals out there imho.

The Blackout makes a great work knife. Scales work really well wet, greasy, dirty, or in any other condition, and also work great in gloves. Mine has been through Hell and back, but developed blade wobble and a suspect lock after my wife ran it through the tumble cycle in the wash (she always neglects to check pockets). Now it rides in the tool bag in the back of the truck. But I think yours might have seen a harder life :eek:

KSSqjNz.jpg
Yeah my BO has a little play in every direction but is still functionally solid enough.
One of the Cold Steels will be slated for the tougher landscaping duties. So far the 4MAX is winning out. Too bad, the AD10 is an incredible knife. I want to keep both but it ain’t happening.
AizKNiX.jpg

Last edited:
Yes please share all the old scuffed up shit.

I've got a buck 103 I found in a creek hunting. The knife took lots of time to shape. The blade had pits i'l n edge from being submerged. Reshaped it free hand on diamond stone. I dont every day carry any fixed blade. Th he 103 rides in truck horse back hunting skinned a few deer and elk with it..
I do like fixed blades. Had my eye on a white river but dont have alot of need for a fixed.

My dad has a 110 to if messed with it. Seems like a solid knife.

Keep the replies and photos coming.
I'm still working on embedding photo links th to show up as images

I don't have very broad hard hands and just yesterday I found a plastic bag of marshmallows too tough for me to tear open. I used my Victorinox classic to cut the bag, and then the marshmallow in half. I didn't want to hurt my teeth.:eek:

Are you someone like me who likes your Marshmallows "aged" to the point that if you fire them at a concrete block wall (With a slingshot) that they either shatter or make divots in the concrete?

Last edited:
Spyderco plain-edge Rescue. Its been going to work with me every day for over a decade. I'm a commercial/industrial electrician.

Butch, I looked at the photos in you Smug Mug file. I especially liked the dogs and that beautiful vintage Indian. The folder you have carried for so long looks similar but a bit larger than my Spyderco C19 that I have carried for about 25 years.

Got a 110 just before Father's Day (somehow I hadn't gotten one yet). It has been quite useful since I got it. Helped me clean up some notches in deck planks I was putting down and then after a quick wash it did a great job of cutting garlic and onions up to be grilled up in a cast iron pan for some burgers I was making. And it's fun to play with while I'm puzzling out plumbing issues at home. That alone helped get a toilet and laundry sink installed.

I read the first post and I didn't read any further. Using a folder, or any knife for that matter, for deburring steel pipe before welding is the very best example I could think off regarding using the wrong tool for the task. Dismantling pallets prying with a folder is a close second.

They do sell carbide deburring tools that excell at, you guess, deburring! They are cheap and if you have ever been to a machinist shop, you probably have seen them.

One thing is cutting stuff no matter how dirty, frozen, gritty, greasy, smelly, corrosive, hard-on-edges, abrasive (think carpet or sandpaper) it is. That's what hard use means for me. As long as it implies CUTTING!

Butch, I looked at the photos in you Smug Mug file. I especially liked the dogs and that beautiful vintage Indian. The folder you have carried for so long looks similar but a bit larger than my Spyderco C19 that I have carried for about 25 years.

Thanks. The board track racers belonged to a friend of mine who is now deceased. He had a collection of around 120 vintage bikes. All fully restored.

Back