EDC Pen

I have been using Cross pens for 30+ years, and have never had an issue with them. I LOVE Cross pens.

I have been using Cross pens for 30+ years, and have never had an issue with them. I LOVE Cross pens.
Couldn't agree more. Cross pens have been my favorite for many decades. I'm currently using a Fisher Space Pen. Compact and also uber reliable.

Oh and by the way, that's the best quote about dogs that I have ever read.

Last edited:
I've just recently gotten into fountain pens. I love the customization options of all the ink variations and nibs. I love my $13 Pilot Metropolitan almost as much as my $130 Lamy 2000.
I carry G2s or Pilot Juice in .38mm for my non-fountainpen friendly work.

I would recommend a Parker Jotter (plenty of variety) which is my main go to pen. Caran d'Ache is another good one. The clips also have good retention so less chance of them slipping out as well.

If you have a bigger budget, Maxmadco (fun bolt action pen) and Ti Arto (takes a variety or refills) are great choices.

I carry a Fellhoelter TiBolt or a Matthew Martin pen most of the time. If I am feeling fancy, it is a Mont Blanc

"For fun" I did the Zebra 402/701 mod to make an all steel pen. I inserted a Fisher space refill while I was at it. The pocket clip is very thin and basically sucks. I've bent it back in many times, but now just live with it. By adding the Fisher refill, the tip does tend to stick out as the plastic insert grips it when it is closed. I have to tap it (gently) on the surface in order to get it to retract. Still a nice writing pen in my opinion. Never had the "ink pee" and blob as another poster mentioned. Been using the pen for over a year now, multiple uses a week.

Kara's Kustoms (Aluminum)
image_194.jpg

Fisher Blueberry
image_191.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

Fountain pen user, have lots. Best everyday carry FP is the Pilot Varsity. Disposable, though I've learned how to refill them. Lamy Safari outstanding, too, but not as reliable. Just got a Schrade Tactical FP in bronze. So far so good. No problem with feed. No leaks. Robust as hell. Only $25.

Zieg

I'm kind of a fountain pen nerd so I carry a foutain pen, if you want a new hobby to spend all your money on other than knives fountain pens are a good way to go. Karas Kustoms is supposed to be pretty good, they machine all their pens in the US and offer a selection of fountain and roller ball pens out of brass, aluminum and copper as well as offering a wide array of finishes. Might be a bit on the pricier side depending what you get but they have a good reputation and are pretty unique, kind of like the inlay sebenza of the pen world.

Long time Cross pen user here. My dad gave me this pen when I enlisted in the army after high school, telling me that I'd better write home every Sunday to mom. I'm a social security old fart now, and this pen has served me on 4 continents for a lifetime. The chrome is worn off where it's griped when writing and it's a bit beat up. Finally the twist mechanism failed 3 years ago so they replaced the guts. Great pens.

Having said all that, it's been retired and now I just carry a Bic stick pen that cost less than a buck. It writes great, I can toss it in the trash can when it runs our of ink, and if it gets lost, I'm not crying over it. Did I mention that it writes great? Marcel Bich was the man who really got the ball point pen off the ground with his formula for the free flowing ink.

Last edited:
I went full circle with pens. Ended up right back where I should have stayed, The Parker Jotter with Fisher fine point refills. There's a reason they've never been out of production since they were introduced. Before you go all out and spend a fortune on exotic pens, throw six bucks down on a Parker Jotter and carry it for a month. You'll see.

I went full circle with pens. Ended up right back where I should have stayed, The Parker Jotter with Fisher fine point refills. There's a reason they've never been out of production since they were introduced. Before you go all out and spend a fortune on exotic pens, throw six bucks down on a Parker Jotter and carry it for a month. You'll see.

I second the Parker Jotter. This one is 14k, but I have others in SS, Sterling Silver, Titanium, and plastic/metal. My favorite refill is the Parker Extra Fine.image.jpeg

Fisher Space Pen. I've been carrying one since my international travel days, pre and post 9/11. Compact, leak proof, and reliable.

Have Mont Blanc, Zebra and like Pilot gel pens, gels only negative the ink isn't water proof.

What I EDC mostly are Bic Sticks, they're reliable, the ink doesn't wash away when wet and most importantly, they don't Break when back pocket carried, Plus they don't damage knives that are part of your EDC.
Great for on the move, a dime a dozen.

But when at the desk or station the other pens are used.

spin_prod_397596701

I carry a Tuffwriter. Precision Press, or Mini-Click. Both of them are flamed copper. I cobbled together some extra spacer, and have one of them set up with a Parker precision point (I think it is), and the other set up with a Parker Gel. As a bonus, read just the other day that Coronovirus does NOT like copper. :D

The only downside is with the Precision Press, it could use a little sturdier clip. I bent mine while carrying it. The upside is I unscrewed the machine screws, bent it back, screwed it back in place, and back in business.

Been carrying the all steel 701 for years. Would love to buy a nice fancy, probably copper but I just can’t when this 7 dollar pen as lasted as long as it has.

I went ahead and based on the testimonials of this thread picked up a 701. Day one and I still have it.

Back