EDC Pen

After seeing/reading about the F-701, I'm probably going to add it to my stable of pens.
After having the guys that work for me attempt to steal mine repeatedly I just went and bought 5 and gave them each one a couple years ago and they are all still in use and I’ll be honest my guys are not known to be gentle with any tool but these have held up amazingly well.

After having the guys that work for me attempt to steal mine repeatedly I just went and bought 5 and gave them each one a couple years ago and they are all still in use and I’ll be honest my guys are not known to be gentle with any tool but these have held up amazingly well.
The cheapest most reliable pen that I have enjoyed is the Zebra F-301. First one I found on the floor in a lecture hall. I used it for years w/o replacing the cartridge. I think you can still get two-packs for cheap.
The best things about it for me is that it is a clicky and I don't think I ever had to lick the tip or whatnot to get the ink to flow. Quick Side: My (F-701) did leak once! It lives on the fridge by the calender. The stain on the hardwood is a reminder :).
The drawback for some (Not me) is that it has a very sharp tip (0.7). Practically can sketch like a pencil. It is a very thin pen like the Cross which I also enjoy.
Recently stepped it up a and purchased a pair of Hinderer Copper/Brass Investigators. Real nice, but they will rarely leave my house.
I been using the F-301 for over 20 years. They are so cheap test them out just for kicks.

After seeing/reading about the F-701, I'm probably going to add it to my stable of pens.
I bought one yesterday and I may have got a bad one. I can't write with it without a glob of ink on the start of the first stroke.

I picked up an F-301 and that's a lot better. No glob, but it's a little thin for me.

YMMV. Still looking.

Probably a bad cartridge.
I'm thinking that also. It's variable; today it's not doing it, but yesterday it was doing it consistently. Looked at options for refills also; looks like there are several options. Happy with the pen, it's just the refill I'm unhappy with.

Probably a bad cartridge.
I thought the same thing and double checked yesterday. The 301 and 701 come with the same 0.7 mm cartridge. Since I replaced the leaky one I have had no issues with the 701. Just a huge fan of the 301.

Funny factoid I once read that I believe to be true about the F-301.

Notice the indent holding the metal to the plastic by the clip. That was a design change b/c you will find that if you unscrew the tip, invert it, replace it, it makes for a handy pipe in a pinch.

I used one of these with my Basic Drafting partner (High School) once. Didn't realize it till years later.

I think I see why my F-701 is dropping globs of ink. The F-301 has a Zebra refill in it; the F-701 has a cheap refill that's not labeled Zebra. Bought both at the local OfficeMax. Not sure what I got but I'll pick up some Zebra refills and assume I'll be satisfied. BTW while it appears they both fit each other, Amazon lists different refills for each pen.

I think I see why my F-701 is dropping globs of ink. The F-301 has a Zebra refill in it; the F-701 has a cheap refill that's not labeled Zebra. Bought both at the local OfficeMax. Not sure what I got but I'll pick up some Zebra refills and assume I'll be satisfied. BTW while it appears they both fit each other, Amazon lists different refills for each pen.

Weird, the cartridges seem to last forever as I can't remember when I last changed one except the leaky one (F-701 is 10-15 years old) and perhaps my primary F-301 no more than 2-3 times. I did break the plastic piece between the tip and main tube once. Now my primary has black and blue flair :). Sorry can't sleep. Anyhow not kidding when I said I have been using these things 20 years.
Funny I notice them a lot in Film/TV/Paramedics/Cops.

Good to know! Don't think I would have thought to look that closely but since mine say:
F-701: ZEBRA F<0.7> 14.12
F-301 (One of many!) ZEBRA F<0.7> 15.11

Bought at I think OfficeMax many years ago. Don't have Amazon account but it is likely they may be different size interchangeable cartridges. Knowing myself I would have matched part numbers though. Again this all went down years ago and I used to drink way more than one should :). Yeah Amazon says:
F-701 (0.8)
F-301 (0.7)
I was most likely drunk and MacGyver'd something together but it works great.

Last edited:
I carry a plain ole pilot g2 #10. I keep it tucked in my button-down dress shirt just above the center button.

I just ordered this
Titanium Tactical Survival Pen Emergency Glass Breaker Personal Defence Device - Free Leather Pouch and Refill https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072Q8ZR5K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_T8-MEbWWDE12Z

The reviews are good and I’m a sucker for titanium and all-metal pens. I also like the
Schmidt 888 Safety Ceramic Rollerball Refills that fit in it. They are smooth and write in a way I like.

I've been eyeing this pen but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Let us know how you like it.

Back