EDC Pistols: What's in your holsters?

One of these

21km7io.jpg

Primary and backup?

Well I would never carry more then 1 gun so not in that sense, no. The 19 usually is the handgun that is near me when I sleep but I do carry it if I am going far from home or going to some place big/going out for the night etc. The 43 is just the day to day more comfortable carry.

My "almost never leave home without it" is the 2nd gen Ruger LCP with precision one ammo.
Performs very well, especially for a "little" .380

It is so light and thin, honestly, sometimes I even forget it is there. The only thing I've had lighter was a kel tec .32, but somehow I felt subjectively on the fence of is it enough power or not, hence my "upgrading" to the .380 precision one ammo.

Even a .22 will "barely kill you." Not necessarily a big stretch cavity, but I've seen plenty o people D.R.T. from a lowly .22 lr.

Last edited:
Damn, .40 has a lot of pop in that light a pistol, but it certainly brings the heat!

Last edited:
Usually a .40 Shield most days. Sometimes a full sized Glock 22C .40.

Other days a .357 Ruger Sp101 with no hammer spur.
QYLe6ev.jpg

Today's carry.

I've had a carry permit since 1992, and have cycled through literally DOZENS of handguns in the 26 intervening years.

At one point I wrote out a list of every carry gun I had tried but I had a computer hard drive failure and lost the list since I hadn't created a backup. I may try to recreate it today. If I do, I'll post it on here.

A few observations about concealed carry before I talk about what I carry now ...

1) Chosing a gun that is of a size and weight that you'll actually carry is more important than the caliber or magazine capacity. Frankly, if it weren't a burden I'd prefer to have my FN Scar-17 (7.62x51mm with ACOG and SureFire Scout Light) on my 24/7 but that would be a PITA.

2) Daily carry handguns (I can carry open or concealed ... and carry concealed because I'd rather not telegraph that I'm the first one you should attack since I'm a prepared individual that may fight back) serve only two purposes: immediate defense of life and to get you back to your rifle if things get really weird.

3) A good holster / belt combo is second only to "carry appropriate attire" if you're serious about daily carry. If you're a flip-flops with tight t-shirt and shorts sort ... you had better look at the smallest / lightest 380s available or you're going to leave the gun at home. There is nothing wrong with a Ruger LCP ... they have and serve a purpose but there are times when you may want (or NEED) to carry something with increased stopping power or firepower. At those times a high quality holster and belt combo and "cover garment" are a must for your comfort and safety.

4) Carry at least one spare reload. Most semi-auto malfunctions are ammo and/or magazine related. A revolver speed-strip is easier to carry than a revolver speed loader if you chose a revolver.

5) Practice with your carry gun. Don't go to the store, buy the best "internet rated" gun and then stick it in your waistband. Run several hundred rounds of your defense ammo through it before carrying the gun. Yes, defense ammo is expensive but so is your home owners insurance, car insurance, life insurance, health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance ..... get the picture here?

6) DO NOT CARRY FMJ DEFENSE AMMO. Over penetration is a real issue for civilians in civil liability suits. Carry expanding ammo.

7) Think about your tactics before you carry. For example, try to put angles between you and your violent assailant that will clear your "back stop" from Innocent bystanders. If you miss or shoot through your assailant you will be liable for everything you hit.

8) Take a class or two. Spend the money to get professional training. DO NOT GET TRAINING FROM SOME LOCAL LEO WITH A BIG MOUTH. Go to a regional class taught by a nationally recognized trainer. This is the best defensive money you'll spend.

9) Shoot your gun regularly. Shooting skills, unlike masturbation and eating, are perishable skills. Make it a point to regularly shoot your firearm (your gun not "your gun").

10) Exercise common sense gun safety at all times ESPECIALLY if you have children around.

Now that I've given my "I hate giving anti-gun liberals ammunition to use against the Second Amendment and liberty in general" speech ... the fun part ...

The first gun I carried was a Colt 1911 Officers Model 45Acp I bought in 1985 or 1986. That gun wouldn't function reliably so I traded it for a Colt Government Model 380 that I carried off and on from 1992 until around 1995. Between 1992 and today I've carried revolvers (traditional DA, DAO, single action), semi-autos (single stack, double stack, single action, traditional double action, DAO, other trigger mechanisms like HK's various, striker fired, hammer fired, etc).

The one design that I always end up going back to is a 45Acp 1911. I've probably owned four dozen 1911s during the past four decades.

The reason I like the 1911 for a carry gun:

+ the design is very slim and easy to conceal;
+ the design is easy to shoot well;
+ best trigger of any handgun.

The reasons I dislike the 1911 for a carry gun:

- with barrels less than 5" they can be unreliable and 5" guns take more effort to conceal;
- with steel frames (which I much prefer to aluminum on a 1911) they are heavy;
- maintenance is more complicated than modern designs.

I feel plenty well enough armed with a 5" 1911 loaded with 8+1 rounds of Federal 230gr Hydra-Shok or 230gr Remington Bonded Golden Saber ammo ... with a minimum of two spare 8rd reloads on me.

However, the reality of carrying a gun is ... you need more than one because they're no different than the tools in your toolbox. Do you only have one philips head screw driver? Probably not.

Unless you're one of those delusional people that thinks you can get by with a single firearm (and perhaps there are some people that only "need" one gun ... however I doubt they're the sort that are committed enough to daily carry one) you'll need a "carry battery" ...

A) Small EDC Gun ... examples include a Ruger LCP or S&W 642.
B) The gun you actually feel decently armed with ... examples include a Glock 43 or Kahr CM9.
C) The gun you really want to carry ... examples include a Glock 19, 1911 Government Model, HK USP, etc.

My CURRENT (subject to change at a moments notice) Carry Battery ....

My Current Small EDC

Ruger LCP. I've been carrying it for 10 years. It has never malfunctioned with anything other than Winchester White Box ammo. This gun is my one exception to the "No FMJ" rule because my personal testing has yielded that a 380Acp from a short barrel does not generate enough velocity to produce adequate penetration with a HP. Therefore, I carry 90gr FMJ. I carry one reload.

My Wife's Small EDC

Ruger LCP. Same gun daily for the past 13 years. No problems outside of Winchester WB ammo. She carries one reload.

My "Gun I Feel Decently Armed With"

HK P2000sk. This 10rd 9mm with LEM V1 trigger is a wonderful example of German manufacturing ability. Its light, accurate and 100% reliable. I carry two full size P2000 13rd reloads.

My Wife's Gun I Feel Decently Armed With"

GLock 43 with Trijicon HD Night Sights. That big front dot works well for her eye sight. The gun works with every 9mm ammo we've tried. Her reloads consist of Glock mags with Taran Tactical extended baseplates. If you have to reload ... those extra 2 rounds MAY make a difference. She usually carries a single reload, but has carried two when we travel.

My "The Gun I Like To Carry"

Les Baer UTC 5" 1911. My carry UTC has factory hardchrome finish and custom sights. This gun will put all 9 (8+1) rounds of 45Acp in a single ragged hole at any distance I can justify using the gun. Every time. It has never failed, and not only inspires confidence that I'd be able to "thread the needle" should the need ever arise but also instills a strong sense of "pride of owner ship".

The holster matters for a full size steel frame 1911. I switch between a MadMax and Milt Sparks VM2.

I carry two CMC 8rd Stainless Power Mags for reloads.

My Wife's "The Gun I Like To Carry"

Glock 19 with Trijicon HD Night Sights. Same sight picture / same trigger / same manual of arms as her G43 but with 16 rounds instead of 7. She doesn't' train as much as she should so we try to keep it simple. My wife is a small gal so the full size Glock was mostly carried when we had a farm (she carried it open while running / working the farm). Nowadays, the gun rarely leaves the safe because we now live in town / subdivision and its hard for her to conceal. She'd prefer to have the "firepower" but until something changes it doens't happen often. Makes a nice bedside gun tho.

Other Thoughts ....

Weapon Lights

I don't like weapon mounted lights on my carry handgun unless you're also carrying a hand-carried tactical flashlight. I've carried quite a few "EDC" guns with a Streamlight TLR-1 mounted on it, and found that I don't like using my gun as a 'flash light'. When a noise in the middle of the night registers low on the threat meter (not breaking glass ... more like a "bump") going around looking for the source with the gun / light on can create a problem if you discover it was just your neighbor, mother-in-law, etc. The sight of having a gun with a blinding light pointed at them WILL create animosity. Especially if your neighbor is a law enforcement officer getting home late because of a "critical incident". Ask me how I know ...

Anyway, weapon lights are great and all "urban fighting guns" should have them. HOWEVER, using a handheld light for "navigation" or "investigation" is advisable. I carry a Streamlight ProTac 2L clipped in my off hand front pocket for such use.

My system is now:

No lights on my carry handguns.
Tactical light clipped in front off-hand pocket with my folding knife.
Lights on "bedside guns".

Knives

This is bladeforums! I EDC a Paramilitary 2 clipped in my front off-hand pocket. If my wardrobe allows, I'll on-body carry my Busse Active Duty BG in a mashed cat sheath.

First Aid

If you carry a gun you're worried about your safety.

I EDC a Maxpedition Jumbo. It is sitting beside the bed as I type this message. It'll go with me to the kitchen, living room, and when I leave the house (except for when I walk / jog). I usually leave it in my car when I'm going to work / store / etc however ... its there within arms reach most of the time.

The Jumbo is my "level one survival kit". The bag has basic survival supplies (small water filter, water purification tablets, Busse knife, cordage, space blanket, compass, flash light, ammo, spare mags for my CCW gun, fire starting equipment, etc). It also contains a basic trauma kit which is more germane to this thread.

The top flap of a Jumbo has a big "sunglasses pouch" sown onto it. In that pouch (which is the most easily accessible spot on the Jumbo) I carry a trauma kit that includes:

North American Rescue CAT (Combat Application Tourniquet)
Medium Israeli Compression Bandage
Quick Clot Combat Hemostatic
Duct Tape
Gloves
Aspirin (I'm middle aged ... heart attacks happen especially after the stress of a shooting incident)
Nasopharyngeal Airway with Lube

Nothing else will fit or I'd add a Chest Seal, more tape and a few H&H compressed gauze.

I've added a Maxped "Janis" pouch inline with the shoulder strap. This little pouch is my "mini-survival kit" that can be easily detached and stuffed in a pocket. Inside the Janis is another hemostatic ... QuickClot Sport Sponge as well as more duct tape, and a few otehr items that could be pressed into trauma duty:

Spyderco Delica4
95 and 325 paracord (this is thinner versions of the famous 550 cord)
Adhesive bandages
"Non-threatening emergency meds" (lopermide, Benedryl ... this antihistamine will help counteract allergic reactions to insect stings, etc), and so forth).

The point being ...

If you're carrying a gun you may want to consider what happens if you end up with an extra hole in you too.

Back