EDC Quest

Big Chris

SAHD/Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I carry at least one knife of mine wherever I go whenever I leave the house. Sometimes more, and when I am home I almost always have at least 3 at arms length.

I have tried to compare different aspects of different knives that I have carried to try and find the ONE that I consider the "perfect" EDC.

A couple things I have come to really like are shapely contoured handles with a blade length between 4.5" and 5".

I currently carry a knife with a blade about 5.3" and sometimes I feel it is a little too long.

I have really come to appreciate how nice a contoured handle on a thinly tapered tang feels.

When the back end thins down but the handle gets taller the grip is actually quite improved.

As most of you that know me or have one of my knives I am very partial to High Wear, High Vanadium, High Hardness steels.

I have a new knife designed that is roughly 10" OAL with a 5" blade. I have several profiled out right now.

I am shooting for a very serviceable Field Knife that will be at home on the hip as an EDC or hunting knife. Can serve uses in camp and Kitchen

but also double as a possible self defense tool if needed. I have designed the handle to fit my hand comfortably but also hope that it will

accommodate those with smaller hands as well.

I have one started in .150" CPM 3V, 2 in .105" CPM M4, and 2 in .065" thick 10V.

I will try to get a picture uploaded later today after I get them drilled.

I really feel that this knife is one step closer to what I deem the "Perfect EDC".

The EDC quest is one that will never end.

Looking foward to seeing the new model!

Really looking forward to seeing the 10V thin version. Hope that those handles would indeed fit smaller hands well.

Oh the M4 might get me... 5in blade is pretty long IMO for EDC... camp/kitchen it is great though... self defense.. Doesn't matter, I have long blunt objects and guns :D

I'd like to see more from you in s90v or similar..

Can't wait to see these either way!

My palm is 4.5" across so a 5" blade appears pretty proportional in my hand. I do feel that 5.5" is too big to EDC, but that is what I have been carrying for the last couple months.

I know that the way things look will change slightly from profiled steel to finished knife but with the blade and handle being equal lengths I don't think this knife looks that big in hand.

I am hoping to be able to heat treat these next week when I get back from Blade.

Here are 3 of the new patterns, one in 3V, M4, 10V.

ac0a5c31-c406-4385-8d40-5c2092ce0c93.jpg

Each will get a decently high flat grind and a swedge.

The handle in this one is for a larger hand than that in your 3V EDC, right? I'd agree that 5 inch blade is about perfect, but I wondering if this handle would fit my 3.5 inch palm.

The handle is longer to accommodate my hand with the drop at the back of the handle. It is not much taller than most of my other models of similar size.

What I am expecting to happen is that those with smaller hands will be able to slide forward and back more while maintaining the same amount of comfort.

The handle is longer and slightly taller than my Hunter EDC, but not taller than the Personal EDC.

I try to make the handles comfortable for both me and my wife. When I get the contouring right and she likes the feel as much as I do I know I have it.

I am going to try to lay some initial grinds down today and try to get a few in hand shots.

Hopefully next week I can get it heat treated and have a finished knife to show by the end of the month.

I wrote a long reply, but it seems to have been lost in the ether ;) Just as well, who wants to read anyway!
I like the blade profile! Not sure if that is not too long for edc, at least the way I carry an edc fixed blade (pocket), but a real handle is essential and you do great handles.
That is an intriguing array of steels too! Always interested in M4, in particular, for a cutter blade.

Chris, your pattern looks good. That is the size knife I find most useful. My palm is 4" wide and 8" base to middle finger so that will factor as well. Every knife I have from you seems to fit like a glove.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words.

I have managed to get a couple finished and took a few progress pics along the way.

This is a rough WIP of the process I go through. I did just notice I did not take any pictures of or during the finish grinding.

I also do not have any finished pics of the Boner or the M4 knife ( one with the camo micarta ). The M4 one has been on my hip since finished

and it is amazing so far. Once all aspects of the knife was finished and I held it in my hand the knife actually had a bit more of a small fighter

feel and presence rather than EDC. Not saying I do not like the knife I am just going to have to pick a new name for the model.

I am leaning toward "Scrapper", since it has that small fighter feel.

This however does not limit it's function. The handle is still insanely comfortable and the blade-handle angle really puts the cutting

edge in a great position for power and slicing cuts.

I am very excited to get a few of these out into customers hands to play with.

I posted a picture earlier of the profiled and drilled blanks.

Here are some blades getting wrapped for heat treat

IMG_20150610_214159.jpg

IMG_20150610_214552.jpg

Here I am breaking up my Dry Ice in preparation for my Sub-Zero Slurry

20150611_102513.jpg

Slurry is ready to accept the blades

20150611_103033.jpg

A few minutes soak at this temp and the blades are ready for plate quenching

20150611_114630.jpg

Hardness verified and tempers finished they are ready to have the handles applied.

20150612_215613.jpg

After the epoxy is cured first step is grind the pins flush and then make the scales even with the tang

20150613_125304.jpg

Shapes are roughed out and ready for some slack belting to smooth things out a little

20150613_153504.jpg

Here are the first few ready for some hand finishing to the scales

IMG_20150613_184014.jpg

This is the CPM 10V one completely finished

IMG_20150616_185521.jpg

I have not stopped to take any pics of the M4 knife yet as it has been on my hip since finished. Let me start by

saying that M4 takes a screaming edge. I have not used this steel in a couple years and it is very nice to get reacquainted.

The 10V being so thin makes the knife a bit handle heavy, but that is not an entirely bad thing. The M4 I did not taper the

tang on which I think is a good thing because with the thin M4 I used I think I would have got a similar feel with it. I have

one started in some thicker 3V that I really believe will hit the mark on where this knife needs to be weight and balance wise.

I look forward to a lot of use with these knives through the summer and so on and will keep you updated on my thoughts.

This really is the first knife I have put so much thought and effort into making and idea a reality.

Let me know what you think as well if you do not mind.

Those look great. What did the blade specs end up at (what you originally described above) ?

Those look great. What did the blade specs end up at (what you originally described above) ?

The M4 one came out to be 10.1" OAL with a 5.18" Blade

The 10V one ended up 10.18" OAL with a 5.3" Blade

Slightly longer than originally intended, but still very carry friendly.

Nice story line. Timeline-description threads like this are helpful.

Have you had any time for some in-use shots? Day to day use?

I have not taken any pictures of the knife in use. I really have not used it a lot yet. I have done a little food prep, cut some rope that got tangled on my lawn mower, and a little bit of wood carving.
Not a lot of use but it has already had me thinking about the next generation of my Ideal EDC.

Chris, I have been around lurking for a while and love your knives. I have been looking at anything under 3/16 thickness because I am over the thick crowbar thing. I know, I am in the minority but I have become opinionated about what I am looking for. Thanks for producing something that is thinner. I hope I am able to get one of your knives for a user at the camp, in my truck, in the kitchen and even at the skinning rack. Thinner is better for me and it still offers plenty of potential to work in harsh conditions if need be.

Chris, I have been around lurking for a while and love your knives. I have been looking at anything under 3/16 thickness because I am over the thick crowbar thing. I know, I am in the minority but I have become opinionated about what I am looking for. Thanks for producing something that is thinner. I hope I am able to get one of your knives for a user at the camp, in my truck, in the kitchen and even at the skinning rack. Thinner is better for me and it still offers plenty of potential to work in harsh conditions if need be.

It's great to have you around here. I am definitely into thinner steels. They bring so much more cutting performance to the table.

Back