EDC "rotation"

No rotation for you then!

EDC rotation is how you justify having so many knives. If we all had had only one or two there'd be nothing to talk about and not hundreds of brands and no BF.
No I don't carry any of the others, they just sit in the safe, I have to justify buying that safe. I tried so many folders and fixed over the years I can't even count but I'd bet well over 100. As a daily carry the Dpx is my ultimate do all.

For those of us that use a knife at work on the regular I would think that a work knife (as long as it’s only one not a rotation) is our EDC. That knife is certainly not what I carry after work or on the weekends, it’s way too beat up . 84EF6F81-C286-45FC-840F-66A5E53FCC05.jpeg
A2F412C0-DACB-4680-B19D-C6C4910970B9.jpeg
7E866817-74D6-4CA1-8DC1-EBA63A5D2A6A.jpeg
I’ve carried this knife since it dropped a few years ago and love it’s hard use performance. I abuse this knife hoping to one day wear it out (without breakage) .
Even though I have specific knives for specific chores, and a fairly nice rotation for nights and weekends I consider this to be my EDC.

The language conversation is too deep a hole for me to get into, so I’ll skip to answering the question of whether or not I have something I carry every single day.

Yes.

For years, I’ve been on a two knife system. I carry a modern folder + a Wenger Esquire. The Esquire is my tape buster, goo scraper, tweezers, tiny pry (more useful than you’d think), etc. I use it for when “opening a package” means cutting the tape and opening flaps, or in most situations involving cutting that doesn’t favor the folder. This thing gets used a LOT. Best $15 investment I’ve ever made.

wKsA1eH.jpg

My edc pertaining to knives is I carry two knives. Which two knives depends on what im doing and where im going.

Over analyzing the term seems needless. What do I edc? Two knives, my wallet a phone and light.

To be perfectly honest I lean toward the SAKs in day to day city life. I don't need heat from law enforcement, co-workers, etc. I am lucky in that my knife interests correlate to many of my outdoor hobbies. I find it hard not to appreciate the utility and aesthetics of the silver alox Vic Pioneer and Farmer. No bulging eyes and flying spittle from female staff when I pull the Pioneer up from the belt hangar chain.

This is a concept I've seen with great proliferation lately...

If you have an "EDC rotation", you don't have an EDC. Let's think about it literally. EDC - every day carry.

If you have 10 knives that you rotate carrying, you do not have an EDC. Simply because you do not carry any knife every day.

I already heroically solved the problem for you just over four years ago:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/new-terminology-regular-carry-rotation.1207084/

You're welcome. ;)

I don't use the acronym "EDC" with regards to what I carry with me. However, I interpret it as "everyday carry" and not "every day carry." Everyday meaning "typical, ordinary" like your "everday china" versus the fancy stuff you get out when entertaining guests.

So given that interpretation, then whatever knife you carry for your everyday tasks (versus special purposes like hunting, fishing, chopping down trees) would be your "everyday carry" even if it is not carried every single day.

I don't have a "rotation" - on those days when I carry a pocket knife, I pick whatever I feel like that day. It may be the same knife for months on end. I do have a Victorinox Mini Champ on my key ring, which makes it a "most days carry."

I usually stick to one. It's easier to remember how it feels, how it functions. Up until 6 or 8 years ago the one might change every 6 months or year but once I switched that was it. When I got my first Strider SMF it went many years before I changed. The last few years it's been a Hinderer XM-18 3.5" that I just don't see a reason to change.

I do keep other knives handy for various tasks. One sits by my chair on the end table, multiple ride in the truck, one in my gun bag, one on my reloading bench, yadda yadda yadda.:D

I try not to overthink the EDC thing. I go for the WMAII (what mood am i in?)
I basically have four knives I go to...right now...my Hati if Im gonna be outside on my property, and my Sebenza if Im going to town. A Shamwari is always in my pocket now, ever since i bought it. So I guess Im a "two carry" kind guy.
Hmmm..come to think of it...Im awaiting a Burger EXK thats getting some work done @razor-edge-knives
May have to become a "three carry" guy.

Its a term, I often see used. "X knife in my rotation."
I must admit, that I scoff when I encounter the term in regards to knives*
How anal/OCD would one have to be to have a 'rotation' of specific knives.
I dont collect knives (as in there is no red thread. I have an eclectic bunch ranging from vintage swords to a Dragonfly), I just have a bunch of them. Nor do I have a 'rotation' of knives.
I grab one of several off the shelf from or I use one knife for several days/weeks/months on end. In the case of the latter, that would be a kind of an EDC knife (not that I get to actually carry a knife every day).
Currently, its the Delica, which sees the most use. A great little knife.
7dgPgrC.jpg

*Beyond silly, just as the term 'deployment' for opening a knife.

What is that little keychain boxcutter?

Does anybody have a true EDC they'd like to show off? What are your thoughts on having one true EDC that you carry every day?
What if I carry ALL of my knives everyday?
Then my EDC knives are my EDC . . . or . . . now I'm getting confused.

Anyway to look at the post at this link / thread one would think I carry all of my knives all at once. (nope)

For the one I DO carry every single day page down to where it says :
Then I carry a Mini Champ SAK that has thin, extra narrow tiny blades for cutting small curves . . . (has a light and a ball point pen and tiny scissors too). The tiny blue knife in this photo.

in post #13 at this Link>>>>

What if I carry ALL of my knives everyday?
Then my EDC knives are my EDC . . . or . . . now I'm getting confused.

Anyway to look at the post at this link / thread one would think I carry all of my knives all at once. (nope)

For the one I DO carry every single day page down to where it says :
Then I carry a Mini Champ SAK that has thin, extra narrow tiny blades for cutting small curves . . . (has a light and a ball point pen and tiny scissors too). The tiny blue knife in this photo.

in post #13 at this Link>>>>
Wouldn't that be EEDC every everyday carry.

I think of everyday-carry as a system on the whole, the type of items you carry everyday. I think of everyday-carry knife as the one knife you carry on you everyday.

So when you specify everyday-carry knife, then I guess it should indeed be a specific knife you carry everyday.

But I don't see anything wrong with rotating between knives. If I have multiple favourites, I will have to get a rotation going so I get satisfaction from all of them. At the moment, I have my clear-cut favourite knife (Cold Steel Code 4 spear-point in CTS-XHP) and flashlight (Klarus XT2C) so there's no rotation at the moment.

I don't use the acronym "EDC" with regards to what I carry with me. However, I interpret it as "everyday carry" and not "every day carry." Everyday meaning "typical, ordinary" like your "everday china" versus the fancy stuff you get out when entertaining guests.

So given that interpretation, then whatever knife you carry for your everyday tasks (versus special purposes like hunting, fishing, chopping down trees) would be your "everyday carry" even if it is not carried every single day.

I don't have a "rotation" - on those days when I carry a pocket knife, I pick whatever I feel like that day. It may be the same knife for months on end. I do have a Victorinox Mini Champ on my key ring, which makes it a "most days carry."

Bingo.

your carry for the day
OK time to create a new term :
YCFTD
or
MCFTD = My CFTD
. . .every body happy now ?
I still like EDC better. It's fuzzy logic . . . fuzzy math . . . EDC ~= MCFTD.
MKT . . . there . . . that's not too blasted awful = My Knife Today.

Even The Chef, who hardly gives a damb about knives, ALWAYS calls her or my folding knife an EDC. She 'll even ask a store clerk if he has his EDC to cut this or that.

She said today that she was happy she had the Ladybug I gave her because she was able to sit in the car outside the store and open packages and prepare her art for sale at the gallery without having to go home or to her studio and find scissors or a knife there. Saved her some time.

I totally get what the OP is saying.

I actually do have an edc rotation. I have three Buck 110’s on three different pairs of pants I change into during each day depending on weather and what I’m doing. Work pants, long jeans, short jeans.

Yes I have worn out Buck 110’s from carrying them.

As far as having that special knife to hand down? I have three kids so they can each have 1. Didn’t plan it that way but it works out well. Lol!

Last edited:
Back