EDC "rotation"

view

I recently had this sheath made for a 124 so I could carry a large sheath knife and not leave behind my edc 110..

Last edited:
I usually get sort of fixated on a folder and carry it for weeks or months at a time. Then I get a new one, or rediscover an old favorite and move on to the next. I do have certain knives that I'll deliberately select if I know I have certain things to do that day, but my day-to-day is usually just about what knife I'm stuck on. Right now, my Buck 110 Slim Pro has such a great combination of lightweight, modern convenience and handsome, oldschool nostalgia that I can't bring myself to carry anything else.

Spyderco Slysz Bowie (clipped) and a 3" fixed in leather cross-draw.
Here is my Bradford Guardian3 in Vanadis 4e...a fine combination.

Attachments

• Bradford 3G Vamados 4e Cross-draw.jpg
    Bradford 3G Vamados 4e Cross-draw.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes I have worn out Buck 110’s from carrying them. The top two in the picture have been re bladed and are still carried daily.
Obviously I don't doubt that but it would be an interesting experiment for me.
The minuscule amount of steel that I need to take off to sharpen any of my woodworking hand plane blades or knives is so small I bet one of your knives, sharpened by someone used to an Edge Pro jig, would last a life time.
. . . seriously.

I carry whatever I'm in the mood to carry for that day, but they all get carried and they all get used.
Same but I do carry task and environment specific as well. If I know it is going to be a wet and dirty day of work or play, the Pacific salt comes along rather than the spyderco Tuff. Same with my edc (there's that damn term again) fixed blade. I'll go stainless or carbon given the situation and use.

We live in a different time now. There are so many choices and as knife nuts we have lots of knives! Thinking too hard about the term edc, yes, it doesn't mean what we think it does. Me personally, I'm glad I don't have to conform to the true meaning!

Obviously I don't doubt that but it would be an interesting experiment for me.
The minuscule amount of steel that I need to take off to sharpen any of my woodworking hand plane blades or knives is so small I bet one of your knives, sharpened by someone used to an Edge Pro jig, would last a life time.
. . . seriously.

Those two were used hard and kept sharp for 30 plus years. Miniscule once a week adds up. I doubt I’ll ever wear out another.

For me, EDC means I carry a knife everyday. What I plan to do, where I'll be, and what I feel like carrying are what determines which knife (or knives) I choose.

I view the "EDC" term relative to knives as knives I do carry (or can carry) but it often is more than one knife. I do carry a Leatherman Ps4 Squirt everyday. I have been carrying the Vic Small Tinker everyday since I moved the 111mm SAK to a shelf or holding spot. Prior to that, that SAK was in my pocket everyday (for like 10+ years). Basically, I'm seriously trying to go smaller for everyday carry. I feel that I really don't need even a 3" blade available to me in my pocket all the time. So far, so good....

I had been carrying the Steelwill Mini Cutjack and then switched to the Boker Urban Trapper and switched again to the Kizer Vanguard. I do like to carry two knives, but as the last few weeks have demonstrated, I don't need to. The question is ... can I settle down with the Vic Small Tinker?

Last edited:
I had 2 knives that have been real EDC for me.
A small counterfeit “kind-off” Buck 55 when I a kid and a Victorinox spartan SAK for more than 10 years

Then I have evolved to a more flexible approach of EDC.
I usually carry alwaysthe same knife for the same situation but I think one situation may require some specific knives...
When I was at school or at the college it was not really an issue for me.
But afterward it appears clearly that I cannot carry the knife I want or like anytime anywhere... so I have created my personal system.
At work my small Inkosi is my EDC, for the week end I pick up my large insingo.

Because I have a small collection I may someday change for something different but usually the 2 previous knive should be fine for me.

I have a carry for the office, acarry for the week end, a carry for outdoor, a carry for holidays, a carry for work in the house and backyard...

I am lucky enough to have some cash to throw into the hobby, otherwise I may be more restrictive and just have a good old SAK and a PM2 for all what need a locking mechanism

When I was younger and didn’t have much of an interest in knives other than for work, I’d carry the same knife, I think I had thee knives back then. As my interest in knives grew, so did my collection. My collection has really spiraled since I joined BF. Now, I’ve got so many great knives I own that I don’t think I could truly carry just one exclusively.

This knife is truly edc. My pocket knives rotate once in a while, but this guy is with me nearly 24/7.
xdOChBI.jpg

Last edited:
Just a guess but I would say there are very few people on this or the other knife boards that only have 1-2 knives. The nature of the knife nut is to have more knives than you can possibly ever need. I have accumulated 125 knives in the last 50+ years. Only 15 are fixed blade, 10 are what we now term Tactical folders and the rest are traditionals and SAK's. I have about 20 (SAK's , Case & Schrades) in a box on top of my dresser to choose from each day. I usually carry a SAK and a traditional; no specific order but they all get carried and used. I do usually carry the same pair for a week or so.

Back