EDC "rotation"

Hey Tyler, that's quite a different folder for you to carry. I remember back a few yrs when those Socom Elites were about like gold and just as hard (or impossible) to find one for sale. Nice-looking blade.

Many (most?) people here own too many knives to only carry one exclusively. So, an EDC rotation spreads the love. My rotation changes a few times a year as my interests evolve. Hinderers and autos dominating lately.

I rotate through 8 different knives for weekdays and others for weekends. The only things that I truly EDC are a Fenix PD25 light, a couple of cheap ink pens, my wallet of course, and my iphone 6. I carry a couple of flash drives most days of the week. I carry a knife every day, but it is usually one of a selection of about 11 knives. I wear a watch every day but I rotate through about 9 of them.

Like others have said, I consider my EDC to include some version of each type of item. I may wear a different watch for different occasions, and the same goes for my knife. I do have a much smaller selection than most, though. I tend to have one selection for each "slot" - work, home, travel, and dress.

My EDC consists of a knife, flashlight, small multitool, small prytool, and a pen. I generally have these items on me every day. If I have to enter a courthouse/police dept/V.A. then the knife gets left behind. The small multi-tool & prytool have been the same ones for a long time. The specific knife, flashlight, and pen may vary from day to day.

Notice it's EDC/Every Day Carry, not EDK/Every Day Knife.

My EDC consists of a knife, flashlight, small multitool, small prytool, and a pen. I generally have these items on me every day. If I have to enter a courthouse/police dept/V.A. then the knife gets left behind. The small multi-tool & prytool have been the same ones for a long time. The specific knife, flashlight, and pen may vary from day to day.

Notice it's EDC/Every Day Carry, not EDK/Every Day Knife.

Yes, but many recommend knives of a certain size, weight, etc. "because they would be a great EDC".

If a knife "would be a great EDC", would that not mean it is recommended to be carried every day?

I realize it's all semantics. This has been an interesting thread and I've enjoyed the replies.

My current EDCs are an alox pioneer and a Buck 110 with s30v blade. I do carry these two every day. On weekends I pack a fixed blade too, depending on what I'll be doing.

I take (as many others do from other threads similar to this) EDC a bit different ... to me EDC means I carry "a" knife everyday not necessarilly the same one ...

I know it's inturpreted both ways ... and realise the literal meaning of the term ... sometimes it is used to just describe a knife that makes for a good all around use knife that would/could be carried daily and be useful at many cutting tasks ...

This.

I've had people tell me some like,"Me grandfather only carried one knife. He didn't need more than one knife. Why do you?" What those people ignore is the fact that the knife their grandfather carried was probably a stockman, trapper, etc.. Something with more than one blade. So, effectively their grandfather carried two or three knives every day.

Most of our modern folders only have one blade. I can see a need for an "EDC Rotation" if you carry a single blade knife.

I guess I have two:

1) Leatherman Charge Al in my courier bag that I take to workevery day.

2) Vic Classic (now that I lost my beloved Manager again...)

The others rotate according to my mood; not a rotation. So yes, they're not truly EDCs. But I've come to grips with that.

I've gotten my little daughter into knife collecting with me. She'll remember sitting around and playing with knives with Dad instead of "Dad's Knife."

I have a wallet I carry everyday I go out as with keys I carry everyday I go out to work/play. Knives are just pocket or belt jewelry that may or not be used the day I have them so I have several to choose from every time I go out to work/play. EDC is just a generic term for me for things I carry or take with me when I go out.

This.

I've had people tell me some like,"Me grandfather only carried one knife. He didn't need more than one knife. Why do you?" What those people ignore is the fact that the knife their grandfather carried was probably a stockman, trapper, etc.. Something with more than one blade. So, effectively their grandfather carried two or three knives every day.

Most of our modern folders only have one blade. I can see a need for an "EDC Rotation" if you carry a single blade knife.
Tis a good reason to carry a two blade traditional knife. They cut just fine. So, my little Vic Small Tinker or Peanut is like two knives... ;) I chuckle at this, but all the same, it's why I generally choose two-bladed traditional knives even though it does add some thickness/bulk.

If you bulk at the diminutive size of the Peanut or Small Tinker, my normal SAK preference was a 111mm one and with traditionals, generally a 4.25" closed length one which puts the blade size about 3". I'm trying to go smaller and see how I like it.

I do like variety and have modern knives, but I have little use for switch blades, Bali's, or automatic knives. If I want fast, the flippers are plenty fast enough for me.

I truly have carried an EDC knife for years and years; same knife day in day out. But honestly, it is generally more fun to add some variety. I do that with a second knife for the most part. It is not required generally, but I do it because I like to or want to.

Last edited:
....2) Vic Classic (now that I lost my beloved Manager again...)
You need to order another Manager. The Classic is just too damn small to be very functional except for the occasional envelope or package. I was looking at my credit card "points" that I have accured the other day and noticed that the Vic Manager was a "buy option" with the points. I prefer applying to my CC balance generally. Pre-loaded cards are an option; might do that with the $100 card as I can use that for groceries.

Tis a good reason to carry a two blade traditional knife. They cut just fine. So, my little Vic Small Tinker or Peanut is like two knives... ;) I chuckle at this, but all the same, it's why I generally choose two-bladed traditional knives even though it does add some thickness/bulk.

If you bulk at the diminutive size of the Peanut or Small Tinker, my normal SAK preference was a 111mm one and with traditionals, generally a 4.25" closed length one which puts the blade size about 3". I'm trying to go smaller and see how I like it.

I do like variety and have modern knives, but I have little use for switch blades, Bali's, or automatic knives. If I want fast, the flippers are plenty fast enough for me.

I truly have carried an EDC knife for years and years; same knife day in day out. But honestly, it is generally more fun to add some variety. I do that with a second knife for the most part. It is not required generally, but I do it because I like to or want to.
I love the idea of a traditional folder but nail nicks are not my friend. I have a congress, doctors knife, Case medium trapper, and a bunch of SAKs. All of them take a backseat to a Benchmade 531 and Kershaw Zing.

Part of my justification with my wife is "a knife for every situation". In other words, if I'm in town my carry is different than what I use when I'm dealing with my horses, etc.

She turns around and uses that same justification for her shoes. Go figure.

Overall though. As far as true "EDC"...I either carry an SAK cadet or a small stockman (case, buck, etc) 100% of the time regardless of whatever is in my other pocket.

I've always taken edc to mean a knife that COULD be carried almost every day for any occasion. I wouldn't carry an xl espada nor a small toothpick for edc purposes. I prefer a plain edge blade with some belly between 2-4" for edc.

Of course, if we take "edc" too literally, one would have to carry it starting the day of birth, otherwise it wasn't really carried "every" day. So in that semantic light, none of us have an edc.

I won't justify the use of the EDC term in my case. I just always carry one from my small accumulation. Working in NYC, what I carry needs to fall inside certain criteria. Like no auto-locking blade, no auto or assist mechanisms, under 4 inch blade length, and a preference for no pocket clip. Out in the sticks, where I live, I can carry most any knife I own. For work, I stick with traditional and modern slip joints or friction folders (Opinel and Svörd). My Manly Wasp has been seeing a lot of city carry time. At home or in the woods, I usually carry my Dokka. For dressier occasions where a discrete yet classy knife is called for, the Chaparral.
I had not even realized it, but the only knife I have that I can really say I carry EVERY day, EVERY where, is my SAK Cybertool. I beat the crap out of that thing.

I find it extremely interesting how many carry a Vic SAK mostly every day. We all like these more expensive knives, but when it comes down to it, the SAK gets carried and used.

I find it extremely interesting how many carry a Vic SAK mostly every day. We all like these more expensive knives, but when it comes down to it, the SAK gets carried and used.
Yeah, it's amazing how many people own SAKs.

If I was forced to carry only one folder the rest of my life, I would consider a Vic Cadet. Not my first choice as an EDC but it would be in my list of top five or six for consideration.

I carry a single knife 95% of the time. right now that is a spyderco domino.
prior to that, it was a buck mayo cutback for about 10 years.
the only time i dont carry it, is if I'm doing something where another knife is better suited for that day, such as hunting, fishing, hiking.
otherwise, i wake up, do my morning routine, put on pants, and slip the domino on the RFP and head about my business.
I've been carrying the domino for close to a year now and have really grown to like it. don't see it being replaced anytime soon

I have 40-60 knives the ones that get carried are
Mini griptillion
SAK Walker, a bantam with a saw
A.G. Russell woods Walker
Modified old hickory slicing knife 3.5 in sheepsfoot blade
Knives in the upper drawer tha sees some carry
SAK farmer
Cold steel pocket bushman
Mora light my fire
I bought myself a birthday gift the other day that I've been carrying around the house for the last few days that my make the carry list . That is a mora 2000, it seems to be a good utility fixed blade

I've thought about this several times. Having a 'EDC rotation' is just a symptom of the times we live in, we are rich beyond reckoning in material goods compared to our somewhat recent ancestors. Grandfathers that had a single knife only could afford a single knife...or lived through times where many couldn't even afford a single knife, or enough food to eat. We have lost something, grandpa's constant companion knife that is a touchstone that reminds us of him isn't going to be found by my grandchildren in my collection of users.

I don't have an OCD rotation schedule, but it's alright if others do. My daily choice is based on what I plan on doing that day, what I'm wearing, and how long it has been since certain knives have been sharpened. Of course most days, my choices are limited by what is acceptable at my job. Sadly, working days are only a keychain knife, but I even switch those out time to time. (Selection of Spyderco Ladybugs, a JE made mini Zulu, and a selection of SAK classics.)

Perhaps it won't be a specific thing my heirs inherit, but a memory that Grandpa always had a knife, lighter, and cool pen that wrote in purple ink with him at all times.

Grizz

Back