EDC Rotation

jlauffer

Tempt not the Blade
Platinum Member
For many years I have EDC'd one knife at a time...first was a Mini Lawman, then a Mini Recon, then a Tuff Lite, and now the Grik. This was mainly due to spending a lot of time in RI, which has a 3" limit.

Well, the building in RI that I worked in is being closed and sold, and I will most likely work from home (in MA) permanently (or possibly move to another office in MA). So I was thinking that I could bump up to 3.5" blades, which opens the door up to more choices.

Already have the AD10 and 15, and figured I would add a Code 4 and a GoldenEye (had both the regular and Elite versions but either gave them away or sold them:oops:). Might even get an Air Lite again too (had one and sold it:oops:).

Would keep the Grik for those times that I do go to RI (wife and I both have family there), and maybe get the upcoming Mini Recon too, assuming it has a satin blade and decent steel.

That should provide a nice variety...now need to figure out where to keep them for easy day to day access.

Sound like a plan?

Looks like a good one to me, love the Code 4. I don't usually get into anything shorter than 4" and that rarely, I try to stay away from the areas that have size limits(and luckily its pretty easy for the most part). I take it the smaller Holdout and TiLite are not legal?

Looks like a good one to me, love the Code 4. I don't usually get into anything shorter than 4" and that rarely, I try to stay away from the areas that have size limits(and luckily its pretty easy for the most part). I take it the smaller Holdout and TiLite are not legal?

Had a Holdout years ago and didn't really care for it. The Ti-Lite is cool, but too "weapony" looking.

I m liking my Code 4 more and more. Mine was made much better with a strip of grip tape on each handle.

The American Lawman is one of the best all around edc s on the market, imo. And a very good edc is the Ultimate Hunter.

I m liking my Code 4 more and more. Mine was made much better with a strip of grip tape on each handle.

The American Lawman is one of the best all around edc s on the market, imo. And a very good edc is the Ultimate Hunter.

Would definitely consider the AL if they offered an uncoated version.

Would definitely consider the AL if they offered an uncoated version.

I know how you feel.
Black coated folders used to be a no go for me. Then one day a few years ago, in my local sporting goods store, I picked up the Lawman. Then I picked up the Recon 1. I was amazed at the great ergonomics of both. And the f and f and apparent strength of both. At the time I carried the Spyd. Military, the pM2, the BM 731, and the Griptilian. I went home and thought about how good those Cold Steels felt in my hand. I returned a couple of weeks later and bought both of them. I carry them so much now, that I don t mind the black coating any more, on any knife.
But as I ve said for years, if Cold Steel ever makes the American Lawman in a satin blade, it will become a best selling edc among people who know knives.
Funny thing about the black blade/black handle AL. It looks more like a tool to non knife people than a similar knife with a satin blade, which looks more like a weapon. So it seems to me.

For many years I have EDC'd one knife at a time...first was a Mini Lawman, then a Mini Recon, then a Tuff Lite, and now the Grik. This was mainly due to spending a lot of time in RI, which has a 3" limit.

Well, the building in RI that I worked in is being closed and sold, and I will most likely work from home (in MA) permanently (or possibly move to another office in MA). So I was thinking that I could bump up to 3.5" blades, which opens the door up to more choices.

Already have the AD10 and 15, and figured I would add a Code 4 and a GoldenEye (had both the regular and Elite versions but either gave them away or sold them:oops:). Might even get an Air Lite again too (had one and sold it:oops:).

Would keep the Grik for those times that I do go to RI (wife and I both have family there), and maybe get the upcoming Mini Recon too, assuming it has a satin blade and decent steel.

That should provide a nice variety...now need to figure out where to keep them for easy day to day access.

Sound like a plan?
Sounds like a plan to me. Though, if you don't mind a bit more weight in the pocket, I think the Ultimate Hunter and Bush Ranger are two of the most comfortable folders for extended use that I've encountered.

Funny thing about the black blade/black handle AL. It looks more like a tool to non knife people than a similar knife with a satin blade, which looks more like a weapon. So it seems to me.

Interesting...would have thought the opposite, since all-black is more tacticool. I did carry the mini lawman and mini recon, which are coated, but much prefer uncoated. Didn't have much choice back then in that size, but bumping up the blade size opens up more choices.

Sounds like a plan to me. Though, if you don't mind a bit more weight in the pocket, I think the Ultimate Hunter and Bush Ranger are two of the most comfortable folders for extended use that I've encountered.

Been toying around with getting the UH too.

Interesting...would have thought the opposite, since all-black is more tacticool. I did carry the mini lawman and mini recon, which are coated, but much prefer uncoated. Didn't have much choice back then in that size, but bumping up the blade size opens up more choices.

Been toying around with getting the UH too.
I highly recommend the UH as I genuinely think it's one of the best general utility folders CS has made. It has very good cutting geometry, isn't a terribly alarming knife (especially if you get the blaze orange variant) and it's very comfortable for extended use and in a variety of grips. It's also, IMO, a steal for the materials, quality and mechanism that you get.

For under 4" Spyderco is hard to beat, great selection and quality. They pretty much have that market cornered, deservedly.

I highly recommend the UH as I genuinely think it's one of the best general utility folders CS has made. It has very good cutting geometry, isn't a terribly alarming knife (especially if you get the blaze orange variant) and it's very comfortable for extended use and in a variety of grips. It's also, IMO, a steal for the materials, quality and mechanism that you get.
Very underrated IMHO, I have the XHP version, looks like a pocket knife rather than a weapon. My one is ROCK SOLID and as smooth as a 10 year old sebenza! It's one of the best in the line up. Milled handle is great to use for extended use...

I just picked up another Ultimate hunter in XHP brand new in the box (I have a well worn one already!) I wont use this one so can really use the old one. Staying away with work but when I get back I should have a XL talwar in XHP waiting for me ;)

koHV6BU.jpg

All Cold Steel. Yeah baby.

I'm screwed!:oops:

If you are referring to the heat you will get from your woman for buying too many knives, remember that when you reach a critical number of toys, they all start to look alike and your woman can no longer tell that you just bought a new one. This glorious number is called the Powernoodle Event Horizon. Surpass that number, and the remainder of your days will be blessed.

Last edited:
If you are referring to the heat you will get from your woman for buying too many knives, remember that when you reach a critical number of toys, they all start to look alike and your woman can no longer tell that you just bought a new one. This glorious number is called the Powernoodle Event Horizon. Surpass that number, and the remainder of your days will be blessed.

Was fine until the Sebby. Assuming I keep it (never had one before and have been wanting to check one out), will have to sell a couple others.

I agree.
The Ultimate Hunter is a great edc/work knife. Very comfortable, very strong, very well ground blade.
A good candidate for the answer to the question “if you could keep only one knife”.

and Bush Ranger are two of the most comfortable
:) Totally agree !

Bush Ranger is more compact and easy carry than the AD-10 (for example) yet is rock solid and has one of the most ergonomic , best feeling handles of any folder I've ever used . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The clip point and overall design looks pretty utilitarian and innocently non-tactical , IMO .

Back