EDC shopping

So I'm looking for an EDC to replace my Izula. I really like the looks of your knives and was hoping to get a small edc with 3 inch blade in the same vain as the smaller knife in big mike's alaskan combo. Not the same size obviously but I really like the shape of it. My question, is there anyway to make an integral guard into that knife so it would be okay at stabbing and still keep the overall sleek lines? The knife will be a strict utility knife but I want to be able to use it for last ditch self defense. Not being a tacticool person I'm not even sure I need a guard for that or not.

Also, how are the handles for pull cutting while hands are sweaty/wet. I noticed when cutting a lot of cardboard with my ALOX SAK that my hand would start to slip down the handle when sweaty. I had been thinking about a handle similar to the one below where it gets thicker toward the butt. But, if slippage isn't a problem with your handles, I would much prefer the simpilar straight handle. I like my knives to be as simple as possible.

scan0002-2.jpg

Did you check out the thread EDC Convex? Think one of the last one was a bit similar...the thread is about 3/4 down the page...

Great knives!

Here's one of my EDC's... The red is awesome:thumbup::D

Attachments

• redk2.jpg
    redk2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 85
What Mike just posted- the Stead Knife- is my answer to a lot of that.

I need to get more photos of various finished ones. I'm just coming in from doing 18 blades today, kind of scatter brained.

The convex EDC (model 57, now) - is a simple handle without a specific integral guard, but the dropped edge of the blade offers some security. Notching the rear of the edge or leaving a small 1/8 inch segment unsharpened really helps with that aspect. The handles are....most of my handles are straight, but not. There's a slight curve, mostly on the bottom, on most. Simple, but it adds a lot.

The Stead knife like Echo-7 posted, has everything I can put into a simple knife I expect to do farm/ranch chores with, including some meat processing and chicken gutting and such.

The guard section is integral to the handle and not really in the way, but very secure.

The butt end has a bit of a drop to it and helps keep your rear fingers hooked in tight.

The only real different thing about it from the blade profile in your photo is that I keep a straight spine on it, like the front third of a leuku. It's handy for scraping, and the point is strong, but you still get a lot of belly out of it.

the LBK knife is really close to what you are asking, except I broaden the blade significantly to get a thumb ramp in.

On a knife in the 6.5-7 inch range overall (I might try and push you a quarter incho on blade and handle) - the stead knife seems to work best overall. getting a drop point profile that short means a very narrow blade.

I see I have email, too :)

Thanks for the replies. I actually had a couple different knives I'm deciding between. A drop point like in my drawing and one like echo-7 where the blade comes up to the spine. How wide across is that blade at it's thickest?

I'll throw in another vote for a stead knife like echo7 posted. I've got mine close all the time.

The blade on this one is just under 3.5" and the handle is around 4.5" the blade is about 1.25" wide.

2w4mb2t.jpg

6f9hra.jpg

v62qer.jpg

I'll throw in another vote for a stead knife like echo7 posted. I've got mine close all the time.

The blade on this one is just under 3.5" and the handle is around 4.5" the blade is about 1.25" wide.

2w4mb2t.jpg

6f9hra.jpg

v62qer.jpg

man this knife is a temptation;)

facablade-

something in a kit or a finished knife is coming up, I have a few heat treated now

Took the plunge and ordered a Stead knife last night. Woohoo! Super excited now. You guys are like crack dealers with your pics though.

"Hey kid, check this out. You'll like it."

:D

I'm still working out kit details, I've only done a couple and am not sure where to go....

What I've been thinking overall is

Blades: rubbed forge finish, easy enough to hand rub down starting with a 150 grit and changing directions, working down to 600-800 or even 2000. Edge grinds finished to 320-400 or so. Profile touch ups after heat treat. Differential tempers done.

Scales- rough cut, insides flat sanded.

Pin stock, rough cut.

Shotgun- This and the 57 (convex EDC) seem to be the in knives of the year, all of a sudden. They certainly do the job. I can hardly imagine not having one or the other with me now.

Very interesting about the kits.

Any thoughts about doing a Simplicity kit? I'd love one similar to the one TonyM reviewed on your site. Maybe with a little shorter blade and a little longer handle (just end the blade grind a bit sooner with a design like this.)

Just a thought. I'd be interested in this design for sure, even if it was just a blade blank.:)

I seriously considered the Stead knife when I saw that Christof's with the red scales and his Mauser. Love the profile...very pointy too. Ended up ordering a LBK, though.

The LBK, 'stead, and 57 (convex EDC) are all very good "one knife" knives, except that I can't figure out which one would be the better "one knife"!

Back