EDC suggestions?

Hi there sharp folk, I’m looking for an edc knife that is under $100 bucks, preferably closer to $50. Looking for a medium size knife, and the smoother the action the better. I’ve only really had cheap feeling knives, so I’d like a knife that feels like higher quality.

Any and all recommendations are appreciated greatly!

1. Do you want a pocket clip?
2. Do you want a locking blade?
3. Do you have an ideal blade length?
4. Do you want something slicey or something that is overbuilt?
5. Do you want stainless or carbon steel?

1. Do you want a pocket clip?
2. Do you want a locking blade?
3. Do you have an ideal blade length?
4. Do you want something slicey or something that is overbuilt?
5. Do you want stainless or carbon steel?
Yes I’d like a pocket clip and locking blade, ideal length for blade I’d say between 3-3.5 inches. On the slicier/slimmer side of things for easy carry. Stainless steel is better for me as it gets humid here.

Yes I’d like a pocket clip and locking blade, ideal length for blade I’d say between 3-3.5 inches. On the slicier/slimmer side of things for easy carry. Stainless steel is better for me as it gets humid here.
Thx. I’m recommending USA made below and all are at the upper end of your spend except one.

Buck 110 Slim Pro with Micarta or G10 scales and S30V steel $90

Buck 110 Slim Select 420HC $30 - very budget but very capable knife. Don’t underestimate the steel.

Spyderco Native 5 LW S30V $97

Spyderco Para3 LW BD1N $91

Thx. I’m recommending USA made below and all are at the upper end of your spend except one.

Buck 110 Slim Pro with Micarta or G10 scales and S30V steel $90

Buck 110 Slim Select 420HC $30 - very budget but very capable knife. Don’t underestimate the steel.

Spyderco Native 5 LW S30V $97

Spyderco Para3 LW BD1N $91
Thanks! I’m looking those up now. I have a beater 110 so it’s cool to see they are still innovating on that classic design.

Kershaw Leek. Meets all your criteria, comes in a host of color options, and can be had around $50. It’s a great EDC, and everyone should have one at least once.

Some others to consider:
Spyderco Tenacious.
Boker Urban Trapper.
Steel Will Modus.
Ontario Rat.

All fit your criteria, and more importantly, all have good reputations. But in the $50-100 price range, there’s is just som much good stuff out there, it’s hard to pick a bad one.

Do you prefer thumb stud or flipper deployment? I just got an Ontario rat and it is a larger knife with good ergonomics for around 30 bucks. Getting into thumb stud/utility territory for a cheaper price is pretty nice to see if that's what you prefer.

Another option is flipper knives like the Kershaw knockout, or a steel will cutjack mini. Those are great knives to carry with you with some size to them, without breaking the bank and see which deployment method you enjoy most. Then you can invest in a nicer knife.

Do you prefer thumb stud or flipper deployment? I just got an Ontario rat and it is a larger knife with good ergonomics for around 30 bucks. Getting into thumb stud/utility territory for a cheaper price is pretty nice to see if that's what you prefer.

Another option is flipper knives like the Kershaw knockout, or a steel will cutjack mini. Those are great knives to carry with you with some size to them, without breaking the bank and see which deployment method you enjoy most. Then you can invest in a nicer knife.
originally was looking more for flipper knives but really either is fine by me as long as it is smooth.

I didn’t think of testing out knives and then investing, that’s a good idea. I think I’ll go with that plan.

I'd just suggest you to look into fixed blade options too, if your laws/environment allow you to carry one. See what's there to offer, you might find something you like.

You can get a great knife for that price, and no issues with action either, since there's no moving parts.

My advice. Buy the most expensive knife that you can find that you can actually stick in your pocket and use. I spent more money on edc knives I don't use, than on the xm-18 that I do. If a knife is so knice that you are afraid to use it It's useless as an edc. Buy something that will bring you joy every time it comes out of pocket. Knives are tools, tools meant to be used. Buy once, cry once. Buy something that you carry so much it becomes part of you. The ultimate heirloom. Your kids will treasure it as a sacred object when your gone.

This knife has impressed me beyond my expectations.

AG Rancher by D P, on Flickr

The AG Russell Ranger Lockback
This one's in smooth white bone.
It's easy to open, can do with one hand. But what impresses me is the blade size. The knife is only 3 5/8 closed yet offers a blade that's 3 1/8 long, 3/32 thick and 7/8 wide. It's a slim carry too, just 7/16 thick overall. A very nice EDC.

It comes with a deep pocket clip that I removed, drilling out the screw hole and adding a lanyard.
It comes in 3 handle options all under $60. Stainless blade.

Like J jaseman said, another vote for the Ontario Rat 2 in D2 steel. $40 + shipping. Spend a few extra dollars for the D2 steel (it also comes in AUS 8).

If country of origin doesn't matter, Civivi, Bestech, and Kizer have many offerings for flippers in the $40-70 range.
Kizer has the Vanguard, Barbosa, and Dukes.
Civivi has the Wyvern and Courser.
Bestech has the Beluga and Torpedo.

im a big fan of my kershaw dividend. ergonomics are great, blade is slim and a great slicer. Action is perfectly smooth and the knife disappears in your pocket. $44 on bhq

The Kershaw Strobe has the best $40 flipping action I've experienced.

vht6Yic.png

Although my experience is limited.

If you can find a vanilla Kershaw Cyclone in either big or small size, you can get something with good ergonomics, and a very nice, metallic noise when the blade opens. This one is spring-assisted, so that may not be to your liking.

Ro1o0t3.jpg

I will add a couple of Buck options to look up...

The Buck Sprint Select Flipper 840 is a nice choice at around $40. Got a ball bearing pivot and they know how to do 420HC.

The Sprint Pro Flipper 841 is $80 and lets you step up to S30V steel and some cool Micarta handles, as well as some other touches.

The Sprint Ops 842 is a heavier duty jobby at around $100. Worth looking at anyways.

All made in the USA by a great company.

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?usrsearch=Buck+sprint

Buck 112 Slim with 420HC, RAT 2 in D2, Manly Wasp in Sandvik. Or if can afford a little more the Buck 112 Slim Pro in S30V.

In the $50 range:
I would go for either CIVIVI Backlash or Praxis
Some Kershaw Emerson now available in D2 can be tempting too

Closer to $100:
Spyderco native 5
Griptilian in s30v
Cold steel American Lawman

You have a lot of options...

Back